Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lens rental - unable to find Sigma 85/1.4 in K mount anywhere

Does anyone know where I might be able to rent the Sigma 85/1.4 for Pentax? I've had no luck, been looking all over the net.
I have a strong itch to buy that lens but would like to rent it 1st just in case.
Thanks in advance.
Andy

11-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

As far as I know, Sigma no longer makes a 85 1.4 in a K mount. I know they did make one but all the rental places will be only offering the latest and greatest lenses.

About the only thing you can do is take a chance and buy a used one.
11-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
Does anyone know where I might be able to rent the Sigma 85/1.4 for Pentax? I've had no luck, been looking all over the net.
I have a strong itch to buy that lens but would like to rent it 1st just in case.
Thanks in advance.
Andy
Your best bet is buying from somewhere with a strong return policy, like Amazon. Write off the cost of returning the lens as your rental fee.
11-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One of the better parts of being in the EU is that if you buy online you have the legal right to return for a full refund for any reason (up to 14 days later). The idea being to afford you the same rights as if you'd walked into a shop and tried it out there before buying. Hopefully that's one thing they won't repeal when we leave.

11-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
One of the better parts of being in the EU is that if you buy online you have the legal right to return for a full refund for any reason (up to 14 days later). The idea being to afford you the same rights as if you'd walked into a shop and tried it out there before buying. Hopefully that's one thing they won't repeal when we leave.
I guess my concern is does that set a low bar or a high one. Adorama, Amazon, and B&H here in the States offer 30 days to return. Do all retailers in the EU offer only 14 days, or do most offer a longer grace period?
11-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This lens is now discontinued for Pentax, so that's probably why.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This lens is now discontinued for Pentax, so that's probably why.
Makes sense, I didn't consider that. Thank you everyone for the advice.

11-09-2016, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I guess my concern is does that set a low bar or a high one. Adorama, Amazon, and B&H here in the States offer 30 days to return. Do all retailers in the EU offer only 14 days, or do most offer a longer grace period?
Most good sellers offer much more, I've heard of up to 3 months but 1 month is most common. But all must offer at least the minimum. That even applies to Buy It Now items on ebay (assuming buyer and seller are both in EU), but not auctions for some quirky reason. It must be a full refund including postage with no quibble, but return postage is the responsibility of the buyer unless it was faulty or not as described.

It has most definitely been an improvement. 14 days is the new zero basically.
11-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I saw one for sale on ebay for $695 with free shipping, looked like a deal, now waiting for the mailman. Yeah!
11-10-2016, 03:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Congrats. It's a wonderful lens. It get's quite the work out on my K-1.
11-16-2016, 08:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The lens has arrived, love at first sight. -10 adjustment on my K3 was needed for sharpness but it works. The bokeh is as creamy as I expected. Wow. The bulk of it and the attached K3 is just right for my hands. Hope to post some pics with it soon. Thanks again everyone.