Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2016, 11:05 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Speaking of which... I do have this kind of issue - sort of, but a weird variation of the issue I guess. My AF lenses are spot on with my K10D, but for my manual focus lenses, I have to set up my diopter way off center to be able to use it. It's the strangest thing. It's like the camera was dropped, but only the diopter was affected? I don't know, I just know where to set the diopter and I live with it... despite having a smaller viewfinder image as a result (I have to set the diopter almost all the way to the right resulting in a smaller viewfinder view).

I don't want to send it in to get fixed anywhere because I don't want to mess up the AF - it is VERY consistent and accurate with all lenses I've used on it so far - better in that regard than the K20D and K-r I had before! It's as good as my new K-S1 to be honest - in good light of course. With both cameras I can use my SMC-F 50 1.7 wide open and consistently get great results.
My K200D focused perfectly (both AF and MF) even after I put a Katzeye screen in it, then out of the blue, about a year after installing the Katzeye, manual focus was off. I had to source a set of shims and install them too (not easy) to correct the problem. It was very strange because it had never been dropped or bumped in any way. That may be your problem - if MF is off but AF is fine then it could be the focusing screen.

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Yeah I feel the same. A camera that has consistent and accurate autofocus is worth a thousand times more than the fastest autofocus camera that can't get a clear photo! I am now remembering that my Sony a330 started to autofocus badly years ago but that was probably because I DID knock it off a bench onto a stone floor!

I am really enjoying the K200D though. Its autofocus does much better than I expected. I don't feel like I'm compromising much at all when choosing it over my K30, even in dim light. Do any of you recommend finding for a BG3 grip for it? It seems like the grip doesn't really provide much functionality other than something larger to hold on to and more battery time? Yet I've always wanted a grip for some reason and this is probably the cheapest camera to ever offer one haha
The grip makes the camera more comfortable for me (I have big hands) but provides very little functionality. There are a couple more buttons on it but I never used any except the shutter release. I'd say it's worth having but some people like grips and others hate them.

11-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well, I caved in and bought a grip! $15 including shipping for a brand new still in box grip.... I just couldn't resist! There's one left on ebay if anyone else is looking for one. Just type "Pentax BG3" in the search function and it will show up first.
11-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I caved in and bought a grip! $15 including shipping for a brand new still in box grip.... I just couldn't resist! There's one left on ebay if anyone else is looking for one. Just type "Pentax BG3" in the search function and it will show up first.
That is a steal! Well done!

I'm seeing good deals on the internet these days, I don't know if it's people trying to be ahead of Black Friday or what, but I'm glad - I was able to get a mint AF306FGZ II for 80 dollars shipped, so you betcha I'm glad
11-21-2016, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice! Well the grip got here today and I am really liking this camera more and more every day. I even took a trip to Costco to get some more AA eneloops since I can use them in my K30 too. The grip doesn't add too much weight for me and the camera still fits in my camera bag with the grip on so I welcome the added bulk. It really kinda looks like a professional camera now haha. I just realized I do have a lot of portrait lenses so this grip will be more useful than I thought. But the K200D really is a pure camera. No video, no live view, no gimmicks really. Just everything you need to take excellent photos and a great experience while doing so. I am actually shocked that I can get quite usable shots at the K200D's max iso of 1600. I don't remember ever daring to go over iso 400 with my Sony a330 (which had the same sensor), but then again the Sony could only jump in 1 stop increments which was annoying. I still like my K30 and I can't deny the fact it's image quality is superior, but my K200D has a quality feel to it and is a camera I will be holding on to!

11-21-2016, 11:11 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I'm glad to read that you're enjoying your new camera. Here's the forum's K200D fandom thread in case you want to comment or contribute

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/129204-anyone-else-miss-k200d.html
11-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am actually shocked that I can get quite usable shots at the K200D's max iso of 1600. I don't remember ever daring to go over iso 400 with my Sony a330 (which had the same sensor), but then again the Sony could only jump in 1 stop increments which was annoying.
That 10MP sensor, at least in Pentax's hands, is capable of acceptable pictures at ISO 800 or even 1600. I use 1600 with my K10D if I have to, which is funny since with the K20D, 800 was my absolute limit (and even there, I did not like what the noise looked like, so I very rarely ventured over 640). I think it has more to do with the "quality" of the noise, as I said. The K10D's noise actually looks somewhat pleasing to the eye - until there is too much of it, of course.

Of course, ISO 1600 is only good if you don't tweak the picture in post-processing by attempting any kind of lifting up exposure. If I do that, the results are horrible. Overall exposure has to be left as is, and I can only do little tweaks to sharpness and color, nothing extreme at all. So getting the exposure right in camera is essential, but we CCD shooters know that
11-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I'm glad to read that you're enjoying your new camera. Here's the forum's K200D fandom thread in case you want to comment or contribute
Thanks for the link!

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Of course, ISO 1600 is only good if you don't tweak the picture in post-processing by attempting any kind of lifting up exposure. If I do that, the results are horrible.
Ok this is good to hear because the iso 1600 shots that were perfectly acceptable were the ones that I nailed the exposure correctly. I did notice photos that were underexposed did look pretty bad when I tried to lift the shadows, such as they developed weird artifacts or something. I guess the K30 spoiled me there!

11-22-2016, 11:32 PM   #23

Nice! Well the grip got here today and I am really liking this camera more and more every day. I even took a trip to Costco to get some more AA eneloops since I can use them in my K30 too. The grip doesn't add too much weight for me and the camera still fits in my camera bag with the grip on so I welcome the added bulk. It really kinda looks like a professional camera now haha. I just realized I do have a lot of portrait lenses so this grip will be more useful than I thought. But the K200D really is a pure camera. No video, no live view, no gimmicks really. Just everything you need to take excellent photos and a great experience while doing so. I am actually shocked that I can get quite usable shots at the K200D's max iso of 1600. I don't remember ever daring to go over iso 400 with my Sony a330 (which had the same sensor), but then again the Sony could only jump in 1 stop increments which was annoying. I still like my K30 and I can't deny the fact it's image quality is superior, but my K200D has a quality feel to it and is a camera I will be holding on to!
Great experience and nice to hear your story. Right now I'm using a K20d, also has no video but its a straight forward experience I feel as well. Best of luck with your pictures!