11-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
great answers so far!

11-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
what is it? passion? lack of experience with different brands? different user experience?
Usually it is strong inner feelings of insecurity and inferiority which make patients believe and then claim other people are "defensive" if they do not share the same opinions or even dare publicly object to the patient's own claims.

The patient's use of a negative term directed at tens of thousands of other people is just the same issue we see with racist or other strong prejudices. It's the same sad thing. There are books full of analysis about all this. We need to help those girls and guys.
11-26-2016, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What makes Brand X users so offensive?
11-26-2016, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

what is it? passion? lack of experience with different brands? different user experience?

just want you 2 cents
no arguments please

Randy
Passion for me. I've used and had the Pentax brand...in its many iterations since 1968. I've found Pentax equipment to be reliable, durable and the quality more than competitive with other brands. So I've stayed with the brand.

Lack of experience with other brands ? I dunno, don't think it's easy to generalize on that one. I've noted that a number of Canon or Nikon users only have experience with the brand of their choice. Others, have lots of experience with a variety of brands...others are somewhere in between the two aforementioned groups. Pentax users/owners would be not too much different in my opinion. Me, I have/use Leica. Mamiya and Yashica medium format, Canon, Olympus, Zeiss...even Petri. These are a mix of film/digital.

How many know what Petri is...without immediately going to the internet ?

I've stayed with Pentax as my main system since the 1960's and continue to do so...in these modern digital times.

I have a good chunk of digital Pentax equipment, but I'm thinking seriously of getting a full frame. Whether it will be a K-1 is up in the air. I think the K-1 body from reviews and reports I've read, is an excellent piece of equipment. It seems to punch well above its weight when I compare it to similarly priced Canon or Nikon full framers. It fact it's a strong heavy weight among middle weights...in features... to use a boxing analogy. My opinion.

But around here more camera stores are not handling Pentax anymore, except on a special order basis. It does give me pause, is Pentax going to be here in 5-10 years. I don't know.

But then around here, the number of dedicated camera stores has gone from 7 to 4...and 2 of the remaining are on very thin ice. In 5-10 years it may well be...around here...that if one wants a middle to top anything...Nikon, Canon, Pentax, etc....then it will be a special order from Toronto or NYC. Camera stores are closing down...here and elsewhere I'm guessing... mostly due to the improvements in phone cameras, which seem to be effectively closing down sales of point and shoot dedicated cameras.

Also the novelty factor of owning /using a DSLR for some newbies...seems to be fading quickly when it's so easy just to use your phone camera, which isn't too bad, photographically...judging by some of the prints I've seen from these pesky little phone cameras. One can't under rate the value of carrying ease, convenience...carry a competent phone camera in your pocket or purse...compared to lugging around a bag with relatively heavy and awkward DSLR/lens, etc. in a dedicated bag. I'm talking about thise new to DSLRs or to semi enthusiastic photography, not regualr users on this forum. We're generally enthusiasts..or we wouldn't gather here, for the most part.

Hmmmnnn....now which one will I take on a regular basis.

So far now...I'm holding out on deciding whether to get a full frame or possibly medium format (I'm still kicking myself re; 645D close out sales)....cameras...till I see how everything shakes down over the next while.

Last edited by lesmore49; 11-26-2016 at 11:53 AM.
11-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Are we defensive? In most of the threads where someone new wanders in asking what camera they should buy, if Pentax doesn't fit the bill, we'll happily recommend other brands.
11-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I don't think I am.
I'm sure that I made the best possible choice given all the requirements, constraints and circumstances.
Knowing that, I don't need to tell others, because I don't need confirmation from anyone
Same goes for RAW
11-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #22

just want you 2 cents
no arguments please

Randy
Could you give an example? I find folks on this forum much more "personable" (in the virtual sense) than what I have experienced on other forums.

11-26-2016, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What makes Brand X users so offensive?
As humans, we all have our insecurities and confidences. Successful photographers do too, but you canʻt sell doubt.

Photographer A: "I shoot Brand Z, and it has its pros and cons."

Photographer B: "I shoot Brand X, and it is clearly superior to all the other brands; Brand Z sucks."

Client, consumer, or wannabe pro: Iʻm going with Photographer B and/or Brand X because I heard it is superior.

Truth? All brands have pros and cons and the con artist sells what you want to believe. Itʻs an insult to anyone that knows more and thus we (Photographer A) find offense.
11-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

just want you 2 cents
no arguments please

Randy
It is the defensiveness of other brand owners that makes them adversarial toward Pentaxians. I did my homework before I chose to invest in a Pentax system. I do not owe anyone an explanation as to why, but they interrogate anyway. Owners of other brands have, upon seeing my Pentax, targeted me for derision and ridicule. It is as if they needed to reassure themselves that they hadn't made a grave mistake investing all of their money into something they didn't need or know how to use. One of the reasons I finally sold my D7000 is because I didn't want to be identified as a jerk by carrying it.

My two cents.
11-26-2016, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #25

For the words "Pentax users" you can substitute just about any tribal affiliaton, and get the same answer: republicans, democrats, athiests, Christians, cat people, dog people. We like to divide ourselves into cowboys and Indians, and develop secret handshakes, and wear different colored bandanas so we can tell us from them. If that was not bad enough, then we must divide the TRUE Republicans from the RINOs and the Methodists from the Lutherans. But beware of making your tribe too small. If my people - the Indians - hadn't been so busy fighting each other, maybe YOU people wouldn't be here.
11-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LOL, I have never noticed that at all, usually the reverse is true. I have had people with nikon cameras around their neck tell me no one uses a Pentax anymore....I don't really care. The only thing that makes me defensive is when a person buys a camera kit (whatever brand) and then 3 months later starts a lifestyle/natural light/baby/maternity/family portrait business and charges the same rate as long term professionals. But that is off topic....

I think whatever does the best job for whatever you need it to do. I have eyed other brands, but, for what I need, I like Pentax.
11-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

as a casual observation, not scientific at all and with a couple of honorable exceptions), I find that on Flickr I have much more open interested and interesting conversations with Canon (and Sony) users than with dedicated Nikon owners - so no trouble with most people, and no sense of a need to be defensive, just a certain sense of being looked down on in some quarters.
11-26-2016, 01:30 PM - 3 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"Defensive" is being interpreted as meaning "overly protective" or "hyper-sensitive", whereas it basically means "prepared to defend". Being prepared to defend is usually the result of offence, real or implied, and that's mostly what I see here.

Being in a minority often means that insecure people in the majority will seek to criticise, intimidate or bully you for being different. Difference is abhorrent to some people, and they'll seek to stamp it out. Sometimes you can let it go, but other times you simply have to stand your ground, either with logical argument (the preferable reaction) or by taking a swing back (the last resort).
11-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffB Quote
Could you give an example? I find folks on this forum much more "personable" (in the virtual sense) than what I have experienced on other forums.
if my memory is right, after being on this forums for over 10 years, autofocus seems to be the thing that comes up the most.
this post is about a simple question... not saying Pentax owners are any different then other brands

Thanks

Randy
11-26-2016, 01:44 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I didn't get defensive when the Canikony group of guys my age and older looked at my camera and said "Pentax? That still exists?" Lol
Closed Thread