Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 74 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I have had people with nikon cameras around their neck tell me no one uses a Pentax anymore
Ha ha. Same thing once happened to me! At the time I wasn't in the mood to debate so I think I just gave some curt reply. That probably made me one of the overly "defensive" ones at that moment!

Funny, no one has ever walked up to me in a parking lot to tell me my chosen brand of car sucks. There is something strange about the effect of camera equipment on people. But I'd have to say the "defensiveness" seems to more a trait of those using the more mainstream brands like Nikon or Canon who feel compelled to "share" their thoughts of how wonderful their gear is.

I sometimes put gaffers tape over the logos on my camera if I'm shooting reflectives (like people wearing sunglasses) so the white lettering doesn't highlight in the reflections. I bet at least 10 times I've been asked "what kind of camera is that?" when the tape is on there. I usually reply "SLR".

11-26-2016, 02:18 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
LOL, I have never noticed that at all, usually the reverse is true. I have had people with nikon cameras around their neck tell me no one uses a Pentax anymore....I don't really care. The only thing that makes me defensive is when a person buys a camera kit (whatever brand) and then 3 months later starts a lifestyle/natural light/baby/maternity/family portrait business and charges the same rate as long term professionals. But that is off topic....

I think whatever does the best job for whatever you need it to do. I have eyed other brands, but, for what I need, I like Pentax.
Don't you love the irony when someone (uninvited) says, "No one uses Pentax any more."? You're standing right right in front of him using a Pentax.

FWIW I rarely encounter this problem. People here mostly mind their own business.
11-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
once I was at a ball game and it started raining. some kids in the stand told me I am going to ruin my camera. I chuckled and said " I don't have to worry about it" was a nice feeling
11-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #34
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
So I would say that Pentax users are older, more experienced and have more knowledge on photography in general.
I think you're correct on the first part of that. At least of the users that partake in the forums.. from the data gained from the poll on age of users.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Which tend to make people more open minded.
However, attempting to correlate that with the other half of that statement or the next line is going to be a huge stretch..

I find old age doesn't inherently beget wisdom... and poor experience/habits don't generally dissipate over time. Rather, I think they tend to ingrain themselves instead. Which is why elderly aged people are generally 'set' in their ways.. they learn something and then they stick to it, be it helpful/correct or not. Not that we can't change.. but most seem to fight it tooth and nail.

11-26-2016, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

I'd say, we are not defensive. However, we are more often put in situations in which we have to defend our choice; and if we had to put up with such nonsense, well, our patience reserves are not infinite.

So, the assumption is that Pentax as a choice is inferior to other systems; and not always only Canon and Nikon. And if you challenge somehow that assumption, no matter the facts you're presenting and the context, you're "defensive". Even in a Pentax forum, or a Pentax-specific section/topic of a more general forum.

And - as noted in another post - OP's question is part of the reason. It's stating that there's something wrong with us, we're somehow bad, should I say, inferior to other systems' users?
Examples (other than this thread) are easy to find, for example a certain video called "Attack of the Pentaxians". Yes, the bloke presented some examples - but those were cherry picked to make a point. But if you have to do that, is your point valid - I wonder? Would you close the bridge to a community by mocking it? So immature.
11-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
FWIW I rarely encounter this problem. People here mostly mind their own business.
Same here and anywhere in the world that I have taken one of my Pentax film cameras. I get a lot of positive comments from people saying they used to have a Pentax film camera and how good they were and that they missed them & shooting film.

Also when I have one of my 6x7 Pentax cameras out around town, people always ask me what kind of camera it is. When they find out it's a medium format film camera, they always get pretty excited.

I've never had a negative comment from anyone regarding my Pentax gear.

Phil.
11-26-2016, 06:07 PM   #37
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I definitely think that Pentaxians come across as defensive at times - not so much here, but on other forums. That's why you get reviewers prefacing their reviews with jokes about getting flamed by Pentaxians for expressing their views. I think it has something to do with the perceived weakness of the brand. If people genuinely feel that the company is struggling to survive, they feel more compelled to jump in and defend it when criticized. But it does have the effect of making Pentaxians seem overly defensive.

One way this happens is when a reviewer criticizes some aspect of a review and ends up getting insults hurled at him. It's happened a few times, but most recently with Rishi Sanyal at DPR regarding the K-1 CAF test. DPR actually gave a huge amount of coverage of the K-1, vast majority of which was very positive. In fact the review was very positive overall, but some people fixed on the part they disagreed with. The irony is, they ended up drawing attention to one the relative weaknesses of Pentax, so it was totally counterproductive. DPR has a function to submit a user review, so it is not like there is no way of responding.

Another way is reacting to trolls in comment sections. When there are comments, there tend to be a lot of positive reactions, showing a lot of goodwilll towards Pentax from users of other brands, and then some fool comes along with a ridiculous trolly comment. Usually, it is so obvious that it barely warrants a response, but some people take the bait. It's not necessary to "correct" every divergent opinion. People like that aren't open to changing their mind anyway, and what they really want it is get a reaction, which is exactly what they are being rewarded with.

11-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #38

Photos: Albums
I switched brands from Canon to Pentax. I found nothing but good people on this forum. I always got great suggestions and help from fellow Pentaxians here..!
11-26-2016, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I find old age doesn't inherently beget wisdom........... they learn something and then they stick to it, be it helpful/correct or not. Not that we can't change.. but most seem to fight it tooth and nail.
Ah yes..... spend another 3 hours of learning how to copy a BBcode on my iPad because Apple have made some changes to stuff that is completely irrelevant to me...... or leave things that are working well alone ..... so I can spend 3 hours at peace in nature ...... no wonder "old" people get cranky!

With regard to how "Pentaxians" respond to reviews of equipment, quite often the reviewers have drawn unnecessary and or incorrect conclusions or stated findings that are simply wrong..... mostly brought about by their lack of knowledge of the equipment they are reviewing..... or comparing it to equipment from a significantly different category.

I find most people on this site quite ready to recommend a "off brand" soloution if a poster has articulated requirements that lead that way. I'd rarely recommend a Pentax solution to my friends.... given their requirements mostly differ from mine.

Last edited by noelpolar; 11-26-2016 at 06:46 PM.
11-26-2016, 06:28 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Ah yes..... spend another 3 hours of learning how to copy a BBcode on my iPad because Apple have made some changes to stuff that is completely irrelevant to me...... or leave things that are working well alone ..... so I can spend 3 hours at peace in nature ...... no wonder "old" people get cranky!
Or because Google have stuffed up Picasa by moving pics to Google Photos so one has problems getting a working link to ones images. I still haven't worked out how to now link them.
11-26-2016, 06:29 PM   #41

There's nothing wrong with being defensive. However a few people seem subscribe to the school of thought that "the best defense is a strong offense" and take to attacking the messenger rather than the message.
11-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
My daughter - who is only 31 - recently griped on her blog about Apple changing so many 'little things' every time they upgrade.

For instance, why is another click on the Home Button better than a swipe?
11-26-2016, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #43
Closed Account

I feel that some people take tribalism and the need to compete a " little " more seriously than others. " My team is better than your team " sorta stuff. To each his/her own though. Great question to think about.
11-26-2016, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We Pentaxians are not defensive, we are just trying hard to explain why we are right (for choosing Pentax)!
11-27-2016, 02:31 AM   #45
Veteran Member

"what makes Pentax ppl so defensive?"

Human nature - we are a social species and in any social species there must be at least a rough consensus of what is and is not acceptable otherwise, it is felt, nothing else will work.

Thus to be a minority always implies, within a social context, a responsibility to the majority to justify their minority position and not the other way around, To the majority the question is not why do you use Pentax but why do you not use Canon?

This may sound far fetched when it comes to camera gear but I really think this is what's going on. Your question is not technical but social.

Last edited by wildman; 11-27-2016 at 02:39 AM.
Closed Thread