Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2016, 03:16 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Good bye, Pentax

Sorry to post this here... maybe this gets moved to another topic.
I started selling my kit off last Sat. on the local German ebay. And by now most of the goody lenses are goner.
On Sunday my wife found out I was selling all my kit and she seemed pretty surprised and sad and that made me wonder if I should keep getting rid of it all or not. I didn't feel a lot at the time except a practical sense to reallocate the value of my lenses to another hobby I am very much into (Mtb Enduro). Moreso I've simply used my K30 less and less over the last several months. I guess the reason for that is I've been exclusively using my smart phone because it is always there, and I realized I capture moments with my family better and faster.

I never took images that come close to a lot of the amazing images I see here and other outlets and that's ok. I also never devote time to learning to post process but to me what the camera captured was enough. I did learn tons since I picked up a Kx in 2010. I did take sensational pics of my younger children here and there, and to that end I am glad I had such a great dslr system. But that's been less and less often. So at this point in time I've concluded that it is time to move on.

But today when I look at the Pentaxforums homepage and see these amazing images... I feel sad.

So it's with a heavy heart and mixed feelings that I let go and look for a transition maybe into a new camera system another day later on.
You guys have been great. I'll keep my acct here because I like to still follow the images and trends. Either way I'll still enjoy Pentax. It's been a great and educational experience.

Best of health and happiness to you all,
John

11-30-2016, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good luck with your new hobby.
Just remember though, you'll likely want to take pictures of that also
11-30-2016, 03:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck John. I'm sure your experience has made you a better photographer, even with a smartphone.
11-30-2016, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

(NB. Moved to General Photography, for want of a better location )

Sorry to hear you're leaving Pentax and, it seems, the hobby.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing by diverting funds to your cycling, given that's your main interest. Achieving the results that many members here frequently do takes an awful lot of time, learning and practice. I've managed to advance technically in leaps and bounds, but I'm still very much in the early stages with composition and developing my photographic eye. I think you have to really want it to invest the necessary time.

I don't think selling your equipment is sad. After all, it needn't be permanent... If you ever feel like coming back to the hobby at some future date, either fully or as a sideline interest, there's plenty of very inexpensive used equipment to be found.

Enjoy your cycling, and if you ever feel like dropping in, you'll be most welcome

11-30-2016, 03:45 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good luck and sorry to see you go...
11-30-2016, 03:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that's the way to say good bye - all the best with your new hobby, but never despair about your photography - we all learn from each other, all the time
11-30-2016, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

...at least you didn't move to Canon!
(right hand) to the metal and enjoy!

11-30-2016, 04:14 AM   #8
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Iksobarg Quote
Good bye, Pentax
Best of luck to you and your family for the future John. There will always be someone home here to open the door if you come knocking. Take care.
11-30-2016, 04:27 AM   #9
Forum Member

Good luck, John, and we hope to came hère from time to time....
11-30-2016, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I understand where you are coming from. Sometimes I think I should sell some/most of my gear as I don't use it enough and I take pretty rubbish photos - but then I think of how much money I'll lose.

So I end up hoarding stuff for years, e.g., my scuba gear, until it's worthless and I have to throw it out or give it away.

Don't ask about all the old radio control model planes and helicopters I have in the garage - I haven't flown since about 1988/89.

I keep cars for years, too.

At least my amateur radio gear will still be saleable.
11-30-2016, 05:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yeah sure, looks like you've got too much stuff anyway! If I were you I'd keep the K3 and a good standard zoom for those times when you really need it. Who knows you may want to do astrophotography sometime soon!
11-30-2016, 05:19 AM   #12

... I've moved my free time from enduro mtb to photgraphy, is not as healthy!
Have fun on the single tracks.
11-30-2016, 05:26 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best of Luck John with the new hobby and please always remember you have a place to come back to.
11-30-2016, 05:47 AM - 3 Likes   #14
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Good luck and sorry to see you go...
Hmmph. I wouldn't be surprised if you are one of the primary contributors to John's decision, as I often feel the same way when I view your posted images
11-30-2016, 06:18 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good bye and good fortune. Thanks for not trashing the brand as you exit.