Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2016, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happiness is...

...taking a guess as to the shutter speed and aperture for a particular situation, then getting a (literal) Green Light from my MX when I look through the viewfinder.

Of course time will tell whether the meter was steering me right, but this is a start! D:

What little wins have you had in your film photography lately?

12-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Cool! My wins come from scanning the film and then just being amazed at how much detail is picked up by the film, the rich colors and shades... My film 645 has been almost seeing more action, than the K-5... And then people ask me why I bother with film. I show them a photo and say: "that's why!" the reaction is usually: "THAT'S film? Really?"

---------- Post added 12-03-16 at 01:05 PM ----------

By the way, regarding film, I was looking for some camera stuff on Toronto kijiji and came across a posting of someone looking for a film wedding photographer. There are some cool people in T. O....
12-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I've gotten pretty good at just guessing exposure on my manual lenses. Not as pertinent as film but it feels good to get there.
12-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Happiness (for the second time today, yes I'm hijacking the thread, but I started it so I don't care; be my guest) is not having developed a film in months, then everything feels awkward (especially because you accidentally wound the leader in in a fit of carelessness and had to use a can opener), and the chemicals are seven months old with a definite air space above them, but lo and behold the negatives seem to have a certain special richness to them...

We shall see what happens when I scan them tomorrow. Only one looks like it was a complete dud, and that one was deliberate - I fired the flash on the S1a using the FP port just to see what would happen. It looks on a quick glance like it's grossly underexposed but not cut off partway through, which implies that the discharge was over before the first curtain even started moving. This fits in with what I suspected, that the FP port fires the bulb early to give it time to ramp up to plateau before the shutter opens.

Someone needs to invent an electronic flash with an extended discharge time.

12-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
...taking a guess as to the shutter speed and aperture for a particular situation, then getting a (literal) Green Light from my MX when I look through the viewfinder.

Of course time will tell whether the meter was steering me right, but this is a start! D:

What little wins have you had in your film photography lately?
I do this also. Good training. Now add estimating focusing distance and soon one will be qualified to operate a viewfinder camera. A terrifying prospect for those utterly dependent on this work being automated.
12-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I do this also. Good training. Now add estimating focusing distance and soon one will be qualified to operate a viewfinder camera. A terrifying prospect for those utterly dependent on this work being automated.
I used to shoot with an Olympus-Pen EE-2 before I moved up to SLR. That had a fixed focus lens, so I was in good luck there. Currently I shoot with everything from a K-5 down to a Pentax S1a - all the gadgets in the world down to no gadgets at all!! I have a hand-held Sekonic light meter with which I do most of the exposure determinations, and I develop all my own B&W film. (I shoot a roll of colour every now and then to ensure the local film development service knows it's still wanted, and I know I'm not the only one doing so.)
12-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

qualified to operate a viewfinder camera
Amen to that. When I first started playing with old folding cameras it was a confusing and steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it few things beat nailing a shot with one of those things. Very nice lenses on some of them, too.
12-03-2016, 08:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I used to shoot with an Olympus-Pen EE-2 before I moved up to SLR. That had a fixed focus lens, so I was in good luck there. Currently I shoot with everything from a K-5 down to a Pentax S1a - all the gadgets in the world down to no gadgets at all!! I have a hand-held Sekonic light meter with which I do most of the exposure determinations, and I develop all my own B&W film. (I shoot a roll of colour every now and then to ensure the local film development service knows it's still wanted, and I know I'm not the only one doing so.)
I admire the dedication of those who do their own developing. In my case, I don't think the amount of film I use justifies the hassle of chasing down the chemicals and using them before expiry. However, the prospect always intrigues me.

---------- Post added 04-12-16 at 13:45 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
Amen to that. When I first started playing with old folding cameras it was a confusing and steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it few things beat nailing a shot with one of those things. Very nice lenses on some of them, too.
When I hear complaints about the time a lens takes to focus not being a fraction of a second quicker, I realize how very different my life's experience has been. We would think nothing of getting a shot at a sports event by anticipating the precise moment to push the button. One shot only, but boy could you be proud if you succeeded in both focus and timing. This is not to criticize advanced technology, but to wonder why complaints arise because of only 5 frames a second instead of ten. Spray and pray doesn't give me much satisfaction, but it obviously has its uses if the shot is important.

12-03-2016, 10:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I hear complaints about the time a lens takes to focus not being a fraction of a second quicker, I realize how very different my life's experience has been. We would think nothing of getting a shot at a sports event by anticipating the precise moment to push the button. One shot only, but boy could you be proud if you succeeded in both focus and timing. This is not to criticize advanced technology, but to wonder why complaints arise because of only 5 frames a second instead of ten. Spray and pray doesn't give me much satisfaction, but it obviously has its uses if the shot is important.
I'm with you Arnold. I had published images from a first generation Pentax at school sports meets and soccer games. The paper that published them had a wall full of sports photo awards and the editor handed me a couple of rolls of ASA 400 black & white before my kids' games. He then went over the results of them and told me what didn't work. After a few months (!) I was published. After a year, I got a two shot vertical front page spread in the sports section. One of the shots was a broad jumper coming straight at me lying on the turf. I won't admit how many rejects I took to get that one shot with a manual focus, manual shutter speed, preset 135 mm lens and on a camera with two shutter speed dials (slow and fast) and a top shutter speed of 1/500.
12-04-2016, 04:46 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I admire the dedication of those who do their own developing. In my case, I don't think the amount of film I use justifies the hassle of chasing down the chemicals and using them before expiry. However, the prospect always intrigues me.
If you can find or borrow a cheap secondhand kit, it's worth giving it a shot. I've only had one failure and that was a tank loading error (I accidentally put the loaded spool on top and the empty one below, and then used the recommended volume for one spool - oops!). I don't have the ultimate level of dedication - doing my own wet prints - because I have neither the space nor the time. But scanning them with a DSLR, macro lens and slide holder works well, and it means I can do my dodging and burning in Raw Therapee and tweak things that way.

Once I realised I was completely independent of not seeing my pictures for a whole two weeks after they were shot, I went kind of crazy. All I need now is to find an inexpensive source of colour developer kits and I will be set. I love the snick of the ME's shutter, but something strange in me rebels against putting B&W film in that camera. I save it for my MX and M42 bodies...
12-11-2016, 03:25 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With a film SLR you can never be sure precisely what you have captured due to momentary finder blackout.
For instance with people pictures when I finally view the negatives I'm always happy when no one blinked!

Chris