Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Soviet Camera-Gun!

It's the Zenit Photosnaiper, it has a stock and the shutter release is a trigger, and you probably shouldn't try to bring it through airport security!

Story here.

12-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I was growing up, this thing was featured in a popular cartoon... It's not the coolest camera out of USSR though. Have you seen the camera with revolver-like lens mount? You just mount 5 (I think) lenses on this thing, put it on your camera, and when you want to change lenses you just rotate it to the lens you want...
12-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That revolver would work well with ltd primes!

These would have worked well in this video
12-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leica offered a three-lens turret for their screw-mount bodies. If you Google, you'll probably find images of it on a Leica IIIa. Looks miserably awkward to use.

12-03-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

At one time, there were a few Photosnaiper owners on this site. They bought the kit to get the Tair 300mm lens. Gun stock-type camera supports were fairly popular in the past and may still be bought new. B&H sells a version called Stedi-Stock. Novoflex models were quite expensive and may still be available. PF member @Racer_X_69 made a very nice one:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/205715...era-mount.html

Steve
12-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I saw one of those for sale in Melbourne in Feb/March, in Michael's on Elizabeth Street. I wonder if anyone bought it.
12-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why does it look like an AK47 ?
Honestly , you want to risk your life playing with something that looks like a gun ? ( Writer thinks it looks like an AK47 )
So what are the chances a retard will SWAT you , and a over excited , under trained , just waiting to shoot some one , cop , well ! Shoots you ! ( How embarrassment )
The gunstock camera mount is a fantastic idea , would be superb for macro , but I'm not touching one ...
12-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #8

Yes, these type of camera mounts were quite popular in 80s. There was on that I thought was inspired by the M1 carbine. Just do a Google Image search on "rifle stock camera mount" to see the enormous amount of variations on these.

And on the other hand you can get brackets to mount your GoPro or camcorder onto your rifle.

12-03-2016, 10:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photosniper

I heard that these cameras were really rare in the west until the fall of the Berlin wall. When the Germanys were united there was no need to spy on you neighbor for the government and the cameras became more common.
As far as rotating lens turrets are concerned, may favorite is the Italian "Rectaflex Rotor".
12-04-2016, 01:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I can see how something like this would be considered a bad idea today, anything that looks like a weapon being used in a public place would attract a lot of attention very quickly! However, the theory is sound and it would work very well for long lenses.
12-04-2016, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I can see how something like this would be considered a bad idea today...

All you need is one of those, a .50 caliber ammo can full of film and an oversize black or camouflage photo vest
and you'd be all set for an extremely adventurous day of street shooting!

Chris
12-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #12

Here's a WW2 vintage gunstock camera:

Soviet and Russian Cameras - FotoSniper FS-2

and on eBay

GOI FS-2 Russian military gun stock camera very nice original condition | eBay

Seems to fetch a pretty good price: $22,000-55,000 USD (I think) only about 400 produced

http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Krasnogorsk/FS-2-(FotoSniper)-(Rifle,-GOI,-FED).html
12-04-2016, 06:23 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Novoflex models were quite expensive and may still be available.

That is a MG or MV on there for the photo.

I had one of those 80s era Novoflex lenses obtained second hand but I sold it on - It was the 600mm model and came with a Nikon adapter so I added a K mount adapter and the Novoflex shoulder stock and only used it with the K20D - I needed to do bicep training in order to carry it for any length of time. I live in deep country side so could use it reasonably unselfconsciously but really - 600mm needs a tripod - got some reasonable moon shots with it. Fairly simple optical formula so IQ was no great shakes. Looked cool as a show piece in the corner of the study though - grenade launcher.

'Super moon' a couple of years ago.

12-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Here's a WW2 vintage gunstock camera:Seems to fetch a pretty good price: $22,000-55,000 USD (I think) only about 400 produced
I suppose to a collector it would be worth it, but think what photo equipment you could purchase new with even the lower asking price.
12-05-2016, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
Why does it look like an AK47 ?
Honestly , you want to risk your life playing with something that looks like a gun ? ( Writer thinks it looks like an AK47 )
So what are the chances a retard will SWAT you , and a over excited , under trained , just waiting to shoot some one , cop , well ! Shoots you ! ( How embarrassment )
The gunstock camera mount is a fantastic idea , would be superb for macro , but I'm not touching one ...
It looks more like a Tokarev with a shoulder stock.