Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2016, 04:47 AM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Let us not forget:
In the interests of national security the Australian Government interned thousands of German, Italian and Japanese men, women and children during World War I and World War II.
The Italian cycling gold medallist Nino Borsari was stuck in Melbourne when war broke out in 1939. He couldn't leave, but wasn't interned ... so as a celebrity I guess it's who you know ....

12-11-2016, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
growing up I lived in a very diverse part of town
predominately black housing projects a block (actually a world) away
Austrian jews who got out ahead of the holocaust
a Cajun revenuer
a second generation german mason
a first generation Italian car mechanic
a couple of families that had been what we called "white trash" since the second boat after the mayflower
polish, Czech, Hispanic, Chinese and native American families all lived within walking distance of each other

the only family that caught any flak was the Japanese family on the corner

they were very sweet people, always pleasant
they even tolerated my naïve and dorky questions when I interviewed them for a class project
that's when I discovered they had spent the war interned

I had a vague knowledge of ww2 but still couldn't fathom the antipathy they received

when I went to work most of my coworkers were ww2 veterans
the guys who had fought in Europe seemed...ok with most folks
however most of the fellows who spent the war in the pacific had an almost visceral hatred of the Japanese (this was 25 years after the war)

was it racial or something else?
I don't know and never found out
I was a "longhairedhippiefaggotfreak" (yes, that was one word and much kinder than some their other descriptors) and I was not entitled to know
over the almost twenty years I did that kind of work some of them mellowed but not many

what I have learned over time, is that as horrible and reprehensible as these camps were it could have been much worse
in other countries it was

human beings have a dark side
no one or group is immune

I felt as though lange's work was offered as a cautionary tale

I hope that people have the heart to heed it
12-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
...the guys who had fought in Europe seemed...ok with most folks however most of the fellows who spent the war in the pacific had an almost visceral hatred of the Japanese (this was 25 years after the war)...
An enemy who looks like you and comes from a similar cultural background is an enemy. An enemy who has different skin tone and observes alien cultural practices can be a demon.

It's good that those photos were preserved.

Here are more recent photos of the camps (not my photos). One of the sets includes the relocation of an old building to Los Angeles for a museum. Internment Camps | Stan Honda
12-11-2016, 12:51 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Let us not forget:
In the interests of national security the Australian Government interned thousands of German, Italian and Japanese men, women and children during World War I and World War II.
My grandparents had several Italian prisoners of war working for them during the Second World War. They were technically prisoners but they were treated as "working guests" on the farm. They were not permitted to leave, of course. But there were worse places to be prisoners of war, than a farm some 5 miles from a small rural town called Ladismith. https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place/Ladismith,+South+Africa/data=!4m2!3m1!1s...B7cQ8gEIiwEwDw

Last edited by MarkJerling; 12-11-2016 at 12:58 PM.
12-11-2016, 09:03 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would hate to have been a prisoner of war on either side of the Russo-German war from 1941 onwards. Both sides took the fight very personally, and all those 18th Century gentleman's conventions about warfare went out the window.

In Australia we had this moment:

Cowra breakout - Wikipedia
12-11-2016, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I would hate to have been a prisoner of war on either side of the Russo-German war from 1941 onwards. Both sides took the fight very personally, and all those 18th Century gentleman's conventions about warfare went out the window.

In Australia we had this moment:

Cowra breakout - Wikipedia
We had this incident, just 40 minutes by car from where I live: 49 killed in Featherston POW incident | NZHistory, New Zealand history online
A bit more information about the event can be found here: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/classroom/incident-at-featherston
12-16-2016, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

My own little personal relationship to WW2 came from my Grandfather who briefly served in the war at the end of it. When he was alive, it was difficult to get a lot of information about the war out of him. All I know is that he had a fairly strong hatred towards Japan and Japanese people, almost up until he passed away in 2000. I think it just got hardwired into him.

I can't fully imagine what went on, but I do think the U.S. made a mistake in interring people, but I also know that psychologically, evil can breed evil. I think this happens a lot in all sorts of situations, and I think it is often wrong or misconceptions that lead to the worst actions or reactions. The internment was obviously reactionary and a case of one evil action leading to another. This is why fighting and war often have no winners.

But that isn't my whole point. In 1999, I started graduate school in engineering (in California) and was working on a research project to deal with dam safety in earthquakes. The project was collaborative with a Japanese university in Tokyo and would require me to make a trip to Japan to work on the project. My grandfather's initial reaction to the news I would be going to Japan was one of shock and somewhat upset. Yet after many discussions over the merits of the project and that people are just people, he ended up respecting my trip and even came around to getting over his hatred of Japan. I think he needed to hear a different perspective, and sometimes it is those closest to you that are needed for that change to happen. I was happy that he finally recognized that the past was the past.

Finally, as bad as the internment of Japanese-Americans were, I feel like one of the bigger atrocities committed in that war was the use of two Nuclear bombs on two cities, mostly full of innocent citizens. I realize the circumstances that appear to have necessitated their use, but it is still a sad event.

By the way, despite the circumstances, those are powerful photographs. Often the most powerful art is representing darkness. The visual is often the best reminder of darkness in our past and can serve as the best reminder so that history does not repeat itself.

12-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Captions on photos - simply hover your cursor over the photo. Powerful stuff.

Dorothea Lange's Censored Photographs of FDR's Japanese Concentration Camps
Thanks for bringing these moving pictures to our attention,John.Isn't it a defining characteristic of evil to look for the differences in other people rather than our similarities?