Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"I won't put that in this camera" - musings on film selection.

Whenever I have bought a film camera, my first act is to put a roll of Kodak Gold (or Fuji or Lomo or whatever I can get) colour film through it, trust in the camera's light-meter (if it has one; one of them doesn't, and the meter on another is N/G), and then send it off to see what results I got. While I'm waiting, the camera takes a rest.

This is primarily done so I have a test roll which goes through a standard process (consumer-level in-lab C-41) to see how the camera performs when no post-processing work on my part is possible. Thereafter, however, I have noticed an interesting pattern on my part. Among the bodies I shoot or have shot with regularly:

1) The Spotmatics, the S1a, and the MX all invariably get fed a diet of black and white (I develop all that myself).

2) The ME, the P3, the P30T and the Super Program have only ever been fed colour film.

I know full well that the ME and the MX are of the same vintage, and that the MX uses (though is not dependent on) LEDs and electronics in its otherwise basic meter. And yet... the ME gets the colour film always, and the MX never.

It's as if I won't feed black-and-white to any camera that can't run without batteries (I'm not counting here the ME's ability to run 'dead' at 1/100 mechanical*; that's a last-ditch emergency situation, not a recipe for regular use).

Does anyone else have particular film cameras that are ALWAYS set aside for particular things?

* = though I am considering putting a roll of Lomo 100 colour through it with the batteries out and seeing what the results are.

12-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always have one body loaded with B&W and one with Colour... the current flavour is FP4 in my ME Super, and Portra 400 in my K1000. It seems the K1000 is usually the colour body.
12-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I tend to shoot quirky film in quirky cameras (e.g. FED-2 + Ferrania Solaris 100), but truth be told, I am quite egalitarian in pairing cameras to film.

Steve

(...will admit to running a roll of Ferrania through the Canon P...the "P" did not seem to mind...)
12-18-2016, 12:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Does anyone else have particular film cameras that are ALWAYS set aside for particular things?
On a trip level maybe, if I'm shooting both colour and b&w I will have one body for each type of film. Generally it's whatever camera I want to use next (as well as the lens) and whatever film I have in the fridge.

Phil.

12-18-2016, 02:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

It's funny, I've noticed a similar trend with my own shooting. I have the feeling that some cameras should use B&W film and some colour. It's nonsense of course but interesting that we should think in that way. I think it's part of the connection that people have with their cameras - having a fixed idea of what the camera will produce, and mixing colour & B&W may interfere with that.

Of course, I would put any film in any camera if that's what I had available. Maybe I should do that and try to break down the way I've done things so far.

On the other hand, I've accumulated so many film cameras that I could use one for just about every film type/speed currently in production...
12-18-2016, 02:32 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Hm... I never thought about it... but actually I do.

My ME Super is permanently loaded with HP5@1600. If I have a camera I just carry around, it is this one, and that's the film that gets the job done for me. With that speed, I can stop down the aperture and the camera almost becomes a point and shoot.

Interestingly, I'm with Matt... for some reason the ol' K1000 gets the fancy film, or stuff that I want to experiment with. If I want to go slow and deliberate, this is my go-to 35mm body. The thing is so simple and the meter so reliable, It gives me the most confidence.

The real thing I swap around is the lenses. No lens simply lives on a body on my shelf.

Rob
12-18-2016, 03:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm not sure. When I read this thread I felt like I do this too, but I probably don't.

I got a nikon f2 last Christmas that has the cinestill 50d loaded at the moment, but I feel like I should only have BW in that.
Then there's the recently acquired spotmatic (that isn't entirely fixed right now) and I feel that will be my colour film camera.

I've put colour in the Zeiss Maximar too but felt like I really shouldn't.

The only camera that has only seen one type of film is my agfa isolette. I don't think I'll ever be putting colour in that.

Maybe I just need more cameras to be able to dedicate then to a certain type of film. As I said, I certainly do it in my head, I just don't seem to follow through..

12-18-2016, 05:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like to use a yellow-green filter for BW but dislike viewing through colored filters.

I like using a polarizer for color but they're a PITA to adjust on a non-SLR camera.

So usually when using color film I try to use an SLR, and for BW a non-SLR camera.

Chris
12-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I like to use a yellow-green filter for BW but dislike viewing through colored filters.

I like using a polarizer for color but they're a PITA to adjust on a non-SLR camera.

So usually when using color film I try to use an SLR, and for BW a non-SLR camera.

Chris
LOLOL shooting through my Super Tak 50/1.4 is like having a mild yellow filter always on the camera. It's the one lens I can't seriously use with colour film. Its SMC Tak successor, which I bought for my Spotmatic F (and which retains the metallic focusing ring of its predecessor, thank God) is very mildly yellowed only.
12-19-2016, 04:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
The only camera that has only seen one type of film is my agfa isolette. I don't think I'll ever be putting colour in that.
I have tried colour film in my Zeiss Ikon folders even though I feel they should be B&W only and I liked the results, which were fairly low contrast and pastel colours.
12-19-2016, 06:11 PM   #11
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Back in the 50s the Kodak polarizing filer had a little arm on it with a crossbar attached. If you lined up the shadow of the crossbar so that it was centred on the arm, you had the maximal polarizing effect.
12-20-2016, 01:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOtherRob Quote
Interestingly, I'm with Matt... for some reason the ol' K1000 gets the fancy film, or stuff that I want to experiment with. If I want to go slow and deliberate, this is my go-to 35mm body. The thing is so simple and the meter so reliable, It gives me the most confidence.
Rob, really? I thought the K1000's light meter was horribly flaky. When the battery starts to drain the meter doesn't swing as much, and I can't count the number of times I thought it was either spot on or one stop over/under, and it was really 4 or 5 stops over or under, resulting in completely ruined shots. What's more, the battery drains constantly because the light meter will continue to operate from the light that enters the viewfinder. The Super ME I have has a wonderful light meter in comparison. And a much better focusing screen to boot. Once I found cameras with reliable light meters and split-prism focusing screens, I couldn't sell my K1000 fast enough.

Charles.
12-21-2016, 12:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I have tried colour film in my Zeiss Ikon folders even though I feel they should be B&W only and I liked the results, which were fairly low contrast and pastel colours.
Here is my 1936 Zeiss Ikon Nettar ( posted before)
The Nettar Astigmat 1:6,3 F=10,5 cm s was ultra-sonically cleaned.
The film was Ektar 100 home processed and scanned.
https://app.box.com/s/2vvkg62b2gt3lavig368
12-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Rob, really? I thought the K1000's light meter was horribly flaky. When the battery starts to drain the meter doesn't swing as much, and I can't count the number of times I thought it was either spot on or one stop over/under, and it was really 4 or 5 stops over or under, resulting in completely ruined shots. What's more, the battery drains constantly because the light meter will continue to operate from the light that enters the viewfinder. The Super ME I have has a wonderful light meter in comparison. And a much better focusing screen to boot. Once I found cameras with reliable light meters and split-prism focusing screens, I couldn't sell my K1000 fast enough.

Charles.
I hear you there. The K1000 was a major step down from the Spotmatic II I own. I know a lot of people like it, but it had some serious quirks. To me, it does not feel as robust at the Spotmatic line. There was no excuse for the idiotic design where the meter always on and having to have the lens cap on and the viewfinder covered when not in use to save the battery. To me it is not one of Pentax's better K mount cameras. But I did have a few for the kids to use.
12-21-2016, 09:25 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never really settle on a film, and consequently I don't have any fixed film/camera pairings. I envy people who have settled on a few particular films. That would seem to simplify life. It is is very interesting to read about these preferences others have. Thanks, pathdoc, for starting this thread.