Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Portugal in February

Just wondering were some good places are in Portugal as far as street photography etc.

Thanks!

Randy

Last edited by slip; 12-29-2016 at 10:36 AM.
12-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure what it is like in February but Lisbon presents loads of opportunity. aside from two day trips out of town I spent 16 days there and feel like i barley scratched the surface. Sintra is pretty impressive for a day trip, Praia do Norte, Nazare has some huge surf - world record surfed 100 foot wave was there (not sure anyone is surfing in February though) NEver got north to Porto but everyone i know ho has been loved it and I've seen some amazing photos.
Great country have fun
12-29-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've visited Lisbon and Evora (about 140 km east of Lisbon).

Both are worthy of a visit with a camera. Lisbon could consume an entire trip. Evora is a UNESCO World Heritage Centre.

- Craig
12-29-2016, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Lisbon. I would resist any temptation to go to Algarve. Sintra is close to Lisbon and shock full of photogenic sights but weather is hit or miss at this time of year (I was told) - you could be lucky and find it covered in moody mist. Porto is not quite up there with Lisbon, in my opinion, but its backyard is nice.

Edit: I missed the "street" part - in Sintra you will only see buildings and tourists. So. Lisbon, Porto, perhaps Coimbra. Don't go to Aveiro - it looks nice in photos but once you are there you realize it one canal and that's it ...

12-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #5
Forum Member

I was in Portugal this summer

sintra: quinta da regaleira, pena palace,
Monastery of Batalha
and more sites
12-30-2016, 03:28 AM   #6

If by street you mean urban, Lisbon (Bairro Alto, Alfama) and Porto are your best choices.
If you mean rural and more authentic old Portugal, Historical Villages of Portugal
If etc means landscapes and sunny beaches, Turismo Rural no Portal do Litoral Alentejano and Douro Valley | Visit Douro
(We are having a sunny winter, maybe it lasts until Feb)

This are my favourite spots with organized tourist info.

My advise is rent a car and go on the discovery, it's a small country, people are helpful, and many people handle English or try really hard to handle it

My preference, rent a bike, my best Portuguese tourist experience was this...

TransPortugal Tour 2016

Have fun.

Daniel
12-30-2016, 06:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
Lisbon. I would resist any temptation to go to Algarve. Sintra is close to Lisbon and shock full of photogenic sights but weather is hit or miss at this time of year (I was told) - you could be lucky and find it covered in moody mist. Porto is not quite up there with Lisbon, in my opinion, but its backyard is nice.

Edit: I missed the "street" part - in Sintra you will only see buildings and tourists. So. Lisbon, Porto, perhaps Coimbra. Don't go to Aveiro - it looks nice in photos but once you are there you realize it one canal and that's it ...
Yes, Sintra, Quinta da Regaleira is a must but booked with a guide! Lisbon is very nice for street photography around Alfama and Mouraria, Bairro Alto. Just walk around with your eyes open! For Sintra take the train, don't go by car!

If you go north to Porto (2,5 hours by fast train from Lisbon) you'll find it addicting, just walk downtown near the river and don't forget to visit Livraria LELLO one of the most beautiful architecture you can find.
Evora is SE of Lisbon, and Guimaraes NE of Porto are also worth a visit.

Enjoy portuguese cuisine!!

Last edited by RuiC; 12-30-2016 at 07:20 AM. Reason: added Bairro Alto and cuisine!
12-30-2016, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

All the above and plus:

- all about 50 kms from Lisbon - Sesimbra, Setubal, Santarem (you'll find some buildings from XIII century)

- and if... if your around in 28th there's a "holiday" called 'Carnaval' with plenty of street parades in many cities like Loures, Torres Vedras (near Lisbon) or Ovar near Porto.
12-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Enjoy portuguese cuisine!!
Forgot the most important part!

Few Portuguese travel to eat better stuff, different yes, better nah.
12-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
Forgot the most important part!

Few Portuguese travel to eat better stuff, different yes, better nah.
Amazing Octopus In Portugal, had it a few different places , and the Time Out food hall in the old market on the waterfront in Lisbon has some pretty damn amazing food for what is essentially the equivalent to the food hall at the mall (but insanely better) 3 places at one end are run by the best chefs in Lisbon , everything comes on china with real cutlery and there is a great bar or two

Last edited by eddie1960; 01-01-2017 at 06:22 AM.
12-31-2016, 08:12 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
I would resist any temptation to go to Algarve. S
Why the recommendation to not go to Algarve? Just curious. Too many tourists? Nothing exciting photographically speaking? I may be in Portimão in September 2017.
01-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by spotbeagle Quote
Why the recommendation to not go to Algarve? Just curious. Too many tourists? Nothing exciting photographically speaking? I may be in Portimão in September 2017.
For me who went there as a child more than 30 years ago, it lost a bit of the excitement, too many construction, too many people. We went to deserted beaches on dirt roads and that time is gone.
I still go every year for some days to Portimão and September is a good time to go, it's still warm and without August craziness. But its more for the warmer water then the photo opportunity.
My favourite part of Algarve is between Lagos and Sagres and the Atlantic coast, you should enjoy that. The Algarve's wild western coast - Lonely Planet
As stated above please do eat at the traditional restaurantes.
Portuguese wine is also good with a ridiculous price/quality advantage.
01-02-2017, 02:40 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spotbeagle Quote
Yes, on both accounts. The beaches are nice and often very photogenic, but the towns could be any were in the world - if you were blindfolded and taken there, your best guess would be you had landed in an unusually sunny part of England . I only passed through Portimao so can't really speak for that one. My point is, I covered a lot of Portugal as part of a bike trip along the coast with some detours inland. And Algarve would not be very high on my list except if I wanted to relax at the beach.
01-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #14
Forum Member

Yes, on both accounts. The beaches are nice and often very photogenic, but the towns could be any were in the world - if you were blindfolded and taken there, your best guess would be you had landed in an unusually sunny part of England . I only passed through Portimao so can't really speak for that one. My point is, I covered a lot of Portugal as part of a bike trip along the coast with some detours inland. And Algarve would not be very high on my list except if I wanted to relax at the beach.
Well by what you describe I understand and agree with your opinion. There are some savage construction in there.
But, Places like Ponta de Sagres, Faro (around the Castle), Olhão (near the fish market) and Tavira definitely are different places.
Because those places have ancient and unique buildings from the early days of our nation and a unique mixing of european and arab architecture from the XIII to XVII century.
01-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ant11sam Quote
Well by what you describe I understand and agree with your opinion. There are some savage construction in there.
But, Places like Ponta de Sagres, Faro (around the Castle), Olhão (near the fish market) and Tavira definitely are different places.
Because those places have ancient and unique buildings from the early days of our nation and a unique mixing of european and arab architecture from the XIII to XVII century.
I forgot about Tavira, that is actually a nice and interesting town. Faro was a positive surprise as well. I travel a lot (!) and my trip through Portugal was part of a larger trip so I'm not easily won over.