Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,711
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
That sounds pretty cool. Are there any brackets you could link to that would work with the manfotto mount?
I'd love to see a RC2 L plate specifically for the K-1 but I think this is as close as we have now.
It would block some stuff on the side of the camera but depending on how often you access those ports it might work for you.


01-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
reivax's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 821
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I'd love to see a RC2 L plate specifically for the K-1 but I think this is as close as we have now.
It would block some stuff on the side of the camera but depending on how often you access those ports it might work for you.
Hi Matt, that bracket looks really nice. I noticed it's also $140. At that price, I wonder if it would just be better to buy a new arca swiss tripod head and a generic L-plate (together, that would be cheaper than the manfrotto alone).
01-13-2017, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Fenwoodian's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,897
It all depends on how old you are and what type of shape that you are in.

When I was young, I was in the US Army and routinely "hiked" with a 45 - 65 pound load. And that was through some pretty rugged territory too.

Now that I'm an old fart photographer, my typical photography loads range from 10 - 20 pounds. I think we're splitting hairs here when it comes to talking about K1 vs K3, and saving an ounce of weight here or there through the strategic selection of lenses!

Unless your name is Galen Rowel and you're taking photos while rapelling off of the sheer wall of El Capitan, take what you need to accomplish your photographic goals for that trip.

I've got a K1 and a K3. When selecting which one to take on one of my photo safari's "weight" is the last of my considerations.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 01-13-2017 at 03:33 PM.
01-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,711
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Hi Matt, that bracket looks really nice. I noticed it's also $140. At that price, I wonder if it would just be better to buy a new arca swiss tripod head and a generic L-plate (together, that would be cheaper than the manfrotto alone).
That is an option, although the head I would want would be more expensive but I know they aren't all that much. I also found a much cheaper one here on eBay that is also a "universal" no idea how it would fit a K-1 but the price to find out is much more reasonable.


01-16-2017, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #50
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 43
The two biggest pieces of advice I can give...
1. Lessen your weight at all costs
2. Purchase a Peak Design Capture Pro Clip with Pro Plate. It will be the best hiking/photography piece of gear you ever purchase.

Weight is everything when hiking for me. I've brought an extra lens more often than I care to admit, and ended taking 90% (or more) of my images with only one lens. I bring a 16-35mm. I've brought along the 10-20 and I just don't end up using it anymore. Just not as versatile. And, it weighs too much for the few images I might take. And I've found zero opportunities or reasons for anything beyond 50mm.

By having my camera mounted to the clip, which is mounted to my backpack strap, I can take so many more photos than I would if I were stopping and digging it out of my backpack every time I think I see something worth capturing.

Lastly, leave the tripod at home. Your backpack, a log, a rock, or a combination of all of the above are your tripod. Again, save the weight and awkwardness of bringing it along. I brought it once, and have never regretted it since leaving it at home.

I travel light, I keep my camera close, and I enjoy the light-weight hiking, and take a lot more photos.

ENJOY!!
01-17-2017, 11:19 PM   #51
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 781
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Hi Matt, that bracket looks really nice. I noticed it's also $140. At that price, I wonder if it would just be better to buy a new arca swiss tripod head and a generic L-plate (together, that would be cheaper than the manfrotto alone).
You don't have to buy a new head, just take of the clamp off your ball head and buy a 20-50 dollar clamp that will accept a arca swiss plate
01-17-2017, 11:36 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
reivax's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 821
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
You don't have to buy a new head, just take of the clamp off your ball head and buy a 20-50 dollar clamp that will accept a arca swiss plate


Do you have any links to something that could work? I've tried finding some with no luck.
01-17-2017, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 781
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Do you have any links to something that could work? I've tried finding some with no luck.
JOBU QRR-138 BALLHEAD QR REPLACEMENT - Bing
acratech quick release clamp - Bing

Wimberley C-12 Quick Release Clamp - Bing

Just make sure you have the right thread size of the clamp

---------- Post added 01-18-2017 at 01:02 AM ----------

I was so happy when I ditched the manffoto clamp, I was cheap so I went with the JOBU

01-18-2017, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 14,214
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
JOBU QRR-138 BALLHEAD QR REPLACEMENT - Bing
acratech quick release clamp - Bing

Wimberley C-12 Quick Release Clamp - Bing

Just make sure you have the right thread size of the clamp

---------- Post added 01-18-2017 at 01:02 AM ----------

I was so happy when I ditched the manffoto clamp, I was cheap so I went with the JOBU

Not to be difficult but those links show $60 and up devices. I got one years ago and it was cheap but these days it doesn't seem economical. Plus adding the adapter adds weight. It may be better to sell the existing head and buy the new one.

---------- Post added 01-18-17 at 09:51 AM ----------

I did find on eBay some reasonably priced options:



Look at this on eBay
Hiro DACH-01 50mm Clamp QR 3/8" w 1/4" Adapter Arca Compatible NEW



Brad Shea
01-18-2017, 03:57 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
SKYGZR's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 156
Don't forget your fully Brimmed Hat..../ sun glasses
01-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #56
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 781
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Not to be difficult but those links show $60 and up devices. I got one years ago and it was cheap but these days it doesn't seem economical. Plus adding the adapter adds weight. It may be better to sell the existing head and buy the new one.

---------- Post added 01-18-17 at 09:51 AM ----------

I did find on eBay some reasonably priced options:







Brad Shea
It is economical when you already have a $250 ball head and want to convert it to accept a arca swiss plate, you are not adding a adapter you are replacing the clamp and that clamp weight wise was lighter than the Manfrotto clamp
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
a6000, amount, autofocus, backpack, bag, ballhead, camera, cost, day, figure, gear, head, holster, lens, lot, mirror, motion, pentax, photography, photography what gear, post, release, shots, sigma, tamron, time, tripod, water, waterfalls
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deciding on gear to bring to Burning Man lithedreamer General Photography 18 09-28-2016 05:00 PM
Possible trip to Honduras. What to bring? mattb123 Pentax Medium Format 11 02-04-2016 08:06 AM
Should you bring all your gear to a wedding? Joshua A Photographic Industry and Professionals 27 08-31-2015 09:44 AM
Is it crazy to bring P67 for hiking? LFLee Pentax Medium Format 36 06-09-2014 08:35 PM
What gear to bring to New Zealand dane.dawg Pentax K-5 11 11-12-2011 09:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:06 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top