Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would think the 35-105 could stay at home. At least on the first trek. Also the 24-70 plus the 10-20 on the K-3 is another option.
I thought about the 35-105 because of the macro feature and extra reach. Not sure if I'd have time for that though. Doubt the other people would want to wait for me to take macro shots. haha.

You're right. I could see how the 24-70 could replace the 17-50. The 10-20 covers the wider end.

01-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
The K-3, 24-70 & 10-20 is a good kit for landscape, not so much for wildlife. And speaking of wildlife, depending on where you go, bear spray might not be a bad idea.
01-02-2017, 12:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cthulhugan Quote
The K-3, 24-70 & 10-20 is a good kit for landscape, not so much for wildlife. And speaking of wildlife, depending on where you go, bear spray might not be a bad idea.
I really don't know where we're going to be headed, but I will definitely look into getting some. What lens would you recommend for wildlife?
01-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I really don't know where we're going to be headed, but I will definitely look into getting some. What lens would you recommend for wildlife?
Light telephoto = 55-300

01-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Best use of a tripod, when I know we're hiking to a waterfall. Indispensable! But otherwise, i agree, not 100% necessary
Absolutely!

What's interesting is that with a little practice and experimentation, one can use the SR system to take 1/4 to 1 sec handheld pictures of waterfalls. For small falls and streams where one can get close to the rushing water, the amount of motion of the water is sufficient to create a decent sense of motion blur in the image. It might require a few shots at different shutter speeds to get a pleasing amount of motion in the water while the surrounding ground remains sharp, but it can be worth while to try.
01-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #21

The 55-300 is excellent for its size, weight and cost. If you can manage the Sigma 150-500 or 50-500 they are much better, but cost much more and weigh a LOT more. The D-FA 150-450 is supposed to be even better, but costs a lot more. The DA* 300 is another more expensive option. A 500 mirror is very light, but hard to use. I got a few decent shots with my Tamron 500 mirror, but when I updated to the Sigma 150-500 I started getting a lot more keepers.

---------- Post added 01-02-17 at 01:31 PM ----------

Oh, with a long lens you'd probably benefit from adding a monopod as well.

---------- Post added 01-02-17 at 01:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Absolutely!

What's interesting is that with a little practice and experimentation, one can use the SR system to take 1/4 to 1 sec handheld pictures of waterfalls. For small falls and streams where one can get close to the rushing water, the amount of motion of the water is sufficient to create a decent sense of motion blur in the image. It might require a few shots at different shutter speeds to get a pleasing amount of motion in the water while the surrounding ground remains sharp, but it can be worth while to try.
I usually have a Gorillapod with me. If there is a handy tree etc. nearby it works well enough for waterfalls, and is easier to pack along. I wouldn't use it with a long, heavy lens, though.
01-02-2017, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I hike a lot. My camera is always along. I've pretty much narrowed my carry kit to to my K5 and Sigma 17-70C. It's plenty sharp and has a good focal length range and also has macro/close up capability. Most of my shots are landscapes and macros along with friends on those rare occasions when I'm not hiking alone. If there is a high probability my hike will result in some birds or wildlife, I'll bring a telephoto. Don't worry about chance encounters because you'll most likely miss the shot even if you had the proper lens mounted. It just happens too fast.

I carry a Trekpod hiking stick/ monopod. The bottom opens up to a somewhat unstable tripod but I rarely use the feature. It doesn't collapse short which is the reason I like it. I can put my full 200 Lbs on it and it will provide support. It comes with a small, removable ball head.

Hiking questions are always going to get a lot of different opinions. I've been doing all my life and I'm now in senior citizen territory. The less I can carry, the better. While I will rarely take the Sigma off the camera, I have a DA 15 Limited and DA 40 Limited which take up no space and little weight which will be in the bag along with a couple of CPL's. If I'm planning on some long exposures, I'll bring a real tripod along.

01-02-2017, 03:18 PM   #23

You can always use your backpack as a bean bag.
01-02-2017, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Beyond photography equipment there are some things that I would never go into the bush without.
1. A quality knife
2. A way to make fire
3. Compass/Map
4. Whistle
5. Signal mirror
6. A military poncho (keeps you dry and will double as emergency shelter)
7. Around 100 feet of para cord.
8. Water container
9. Lightweight food/snacks
10. Jacket
11. Extra socks
12 First Aid Kit

I know this may sound like a lot but I have spent many hours in the woods and have had to use every one of these items. If you don't know what you are doing things can go south very fast. All it takes is one misstep and you are dealing with an emergency. I do hope some of the folks in your group have some wilderness experience.
01-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Pertaining to camera gear, the K-1 and the 24-70 will most likely cover a lot of your wants for shooting. If you plan on having a positive advantage in low light, possibly resorting to longer exposures, a sturdy but semi-lightweight tripod would be nice to have. An L-plate for the camera would also provide for versatility when used on the tripod for switching camera position between horizontal and vertical. An extra battery or two are good to have, plus enough SD cards to cover your planned on shooting. There are also other accessories that were mentioned that could be applied, but what I mentioned is going to do almost all of what I would need to have for most shooting opportunities. You could try that type setup for a hike, and if you wanted to adjust your equipment choice per your hiking experiences you could. Obviously different equipment is going to cover different needs, so over time you will know what equipment covers certain subjects the best. The K-1 and 24-70 would cover most situations with excellent results, and if you find that you want something else to use for a hike, like I said you can adjust your choice of equipment. I have done a lot of hiking, mostly by myself, that way I can shoot when and how long I want to. If you and your partners know how long your hike to destination time is and intend to allow for some stops to allow for shots, that would work out best. Falling behind or running ahead shouldn't be necessary. Just stay together, stop together, and hike together to be safe. If someone wants to take a shot, the others can wait, and then you can all proceed again. That is the theory of a hiking group.

I hope you enjoy your hiking if you go. Happy shooting!
01-02-2017, 04:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Pertaining to camera gear, the K-1 and the 24-70 will most likely cover a lot of your wants for shooting. If you plan on having a positive advantage in low light, possibly resorting to longer exposures, a sturdy but semi-lightweight tripod would be nice to have. An L-plate for the camera would also provide for versatility when used on the tripod for switching camera position between horizontal and vertical. An extra battery or two are good to have, plus enough SD cards to cover your planned on shooting. There are also other accessories that were mentioned that could be applied, but what I mentioned is going to do almost all of what I would need to have for most shooting opportunities. You could try that type setup for a hike, and if you wanted to adjust your equipment choice per your hiking experiences you could. Obviously different equipment is going to cover different needs, so over time you will know what equipment covers certain subjects the best. The K-1 and 24-70 would cover most situations with excellent results, and if you find that you want something else to use for a hike, like I said you can adjust your choice of equipment. I have done a lot of hiking, mostly by myself, that way I can shoot when and how long I want to. If you and your partners know how long your hike to destination time is and intend to allow for some stops to allow for shots, that would work out best. Falling behind or running ahead shouldn't be necessary. Just stay together, stop together, and hike together to be safe. If someone wants to take a shot, the others can wait, and then you can all proceed again. That is the theory of a hiking group.

I hope you enjoy your hiking if you go. Happy shooting!

A few people have recommended buying an L Plate, but have never recommended a specific one. Can you, or anyone else, recommend an L Plate?

Thank you for all the other recommendations. I will definitely listen.
01-02-2017, 04:28 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I have the following. It is inexpensive, but works great. It fits into the arca swiss mount plate on my tripod. Others may mention more expensive ones, but this has done a nice job with my Pentax cameras while using my Sigma 150-500 or Pentax 16-85. It is made of metal and has anti-scratch cushion pads on it where the camera is mounted on the plate. It uses a screw (attaching plate to camera) with a fold out d-ring on it to allow tightening or loosening by hand.

Amazon.com : Fotasy LPM Universal L Quick Release Plate Bracket for Arca Swiss Type Tripod Ball Head with Premier Cleaning Cloth (Black) : Electronics

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-02-2017 at 05:02 PM.
01-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I think any of your choices are great as long as you don't regret it. Yes I understand that is probably the reason why you posted this. But this is to me about what you want out of it. Me personally, if I go hiking with non photographer crowd, I would take my GR II with me cuz I don't want to feel like I am slowing my buddies down. This is why I used to hike alone (yes I know it's dumb) if my purpose of a hike is to photos. I mean I can sit on the same spot for hours to get the lighting right. I used to take my 645d and a 35 and 55 and a 105 on overnight hikes. But if your purpose is to have fun with your friends, then I go as light as I can.
01-02-2017, 05:03 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
My choices are:

1) Pentax K-3 with Sigma 17-50 & Sigma 10-20
2) Pentax K-1 with Pentax 24-70 (I figure that's the only lens I need. It's my widest on full frame besides a Fisheye lens)

I guess I could also take the A6000 again, but I only have primes for that camera and I figure a wider zoom would suit me better (widest I have for it is Sigma 19), The K-3 seems more attractive because of the weight and more variety of lenses (that I own). The K-1's advantage is that everything is WR and better IQ and autofocus. I know there are a lot more advantages/disadvantages to each, but I'm really curious what everyone else would take, and why?

I'm also not sure what other photography gear is really necessary (monopod, tripod, or anything else?). These would all be one day trips and it's pretty doubtful we'd be climbing Mt. Everest or anything like that. Just places near Southern California (San Diego & Palm Springs areas). If anyone has any recommendations for places to go near those areas, that would be really appreciated too.
Pack light depending on the length of the hike. I would take either camera, I doubt you would need the 10-20 unless you have specific goals for it, but it's not to heavy so why not. I went for short hikes the last two days, each about five miles, but in parks where I was never more than a couple of miles from the car, and I took too much.I took a tripod on both, I used it but really didn't need it. On both occasions took the DA*300 because I was hoping for birds or other wildlife. Yesterday it was good too have it, today I did not need it. As reeftool said, many times the opportunities flash by so fast you wouldn't have a chance to use it anyway. I must have saw over twenty deer this morning, but they all saw me first so I just saw the whitetails bounding away.
01-02-2017, 05:17 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a lot to be said for making do with one WR lens. How ambitious is the hiking? Multi-day fully self-sufficient camping in remote locations, or day walks on good trails?

If it were the latter I'd take the K-1 and DFA24-70. If you're planning the former I would take the K-3 and look into buying a DA16-85 or DA18-135.