Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
There's a lot to be said for making do with one WR lens. How ambitious is the hiking? Multi-day fully self-sufficient camping in remote locations, or day walks on good trails?

If it were the latter I'd take the K-1 and DFA24-70. If you're planning the former I would take the K-3 and look into buying a DA16-85 or DA18-135.
Good Point! Even though they say it never rains in Southern California, it would if you had a non WR lens.

01-02-2017, 07:00 PM   #32
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Actually one more thing...
From your post I presume you don't do much hiking at all so here are the non photography things you should bring as well.
  • Water! I often bring around 3 liters in a camel back or 2 liters in nalgene water bottles.
  • Snacks - bring lunch, granola bars, fruit, etc...
  • Softshell - warm and waterproof if it starts raining or getting cold
  • Some way of communication - cell phone (with full battery), radio, spot device, etc..
  • Map of the route you are travelling.
  • Learn how to use a compass with a map.
  • Whistle - 3 blasts in the international symbol for help.
  • First aid kit - make sure you have at least one in your group and that some people in the grop have knowledge.
  • Small pocket knife useful for many many things!

Again just have fun!
I would add some cash. Just 'cause you never know...
01-02-2017, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have the following. It is inexpensive, but works great. It fits into the arca swiss mount plate on my tripod. Others may mention more expensive ones, but this has done a nice job with my Pentax cameras while using my Sigma 150-500 or Pentax 16-85. It is made of metal and has anti-scratch cushion pads on it where the camera is mounted on the plate. It uses a screw (attaching plate to camera) with a fold out d-ring on it to allow tightening or loosening by hand.

Amazon.com : Fotasy LPM Universal L Quick Release Plate Bracket for Arca Swiss Type Tripod Ball Head with Premier Cleaning Cloth (Black) : Electronics
My "real" tripod head is a manfrotto tripod. I could use this on my mefoto tripod, but I feel I would use something like this more on a sturdier tripod. Or would you recommend it on something like a mefoto?

---------- Post added 01-02-17 at 06:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
There's a lot to be said for making do with one WR lens. How ambitious is the hiking? Multi-day fully self-sufficient camping in remote locations, or day walks on good trails?

If it were the latter I'd take the K-1 and DFA24-70. If you're planning the former I would take the K-3 and look into buying a DA16-85 or DA18-135.
One day trips. Nothing too ambitious. For multi day trips, I could justify packing the K-1, but for something where I'll be walking non-stop for hours, I'd want the lightest gear. I actually found a great deal on a DA 18-135 and bought it. I hope to use that! I'll probably take the advice of a few others and pack something like a 50 1.4 in case I need the extra light.
01-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As for tripods, unless the main objective of the walk is photography, I wouldn't take anything bigger or heavier than a Sirui T-025x. Mine went everywhere with me for three weeks overseas and it was rock-steady. With a K-3 and moderately sized lens, it would more than adequate.

01-02-2017, 07:54 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I'd take the K-1 but stopping at 70mm would hurt. A 100 or 135mm prime could be a bargain investment if you go with older manual types.
01-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Well, I think any of your choices are great as long as you don't regret it. Yes I understand that is probably the reason why you posted this. But this is to me about what you want out of it. Me personally, if I go hiking with non photographer crowd, I would take my GR II with me cuz I don't want to feel like I am slowing my buddies down. This is why I used to hike alone (yes I know it's dumb) if my purpose of a hike is to photos. I mean I can sit on the same spot for hours to get the lighting right. I used to take my 645d and a 35 and 55 and a 105 on overnight hikes. But if your purpose is to have fun with your friends, then I go as light as I can.

Great advice here. If it's a photo hike, take whatever you need to get a great shot.

Hiking with friends? I'd pick your favorite prime and take the a6000 personally. Light is right, especially when out with friends.
01-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
My "real" tripod head is a manfrotto tripod. I could use this on my mefoto tripod, but I feel I would use something like this more on a sturdier tripod. Or would you recommend it on something like a mefoto?
If you have used your K-1 and 24-70 on the MeFoto prior to this successfully, which I am presuming is something like the backpacker version, it will most likely be alright as long as you have tested with it already. If it has a weight hook on the bottom you can utilize that for more stability and just be watchful/careful in general due to its lightweight structure.

As for another more sturdy option I would recommend the following Sirui tripods, one being Aluminum (less expensive) and the other Carbon Fiber, but they are both basically the same size and do not differ greatly in weight. They do not come with a ball head, but you could most likely use one you already have if you chose to. The aluminum version weighs approximately 2.2 lbs. and has a load capacity of 22 lbs. The carbon fiber version weighs approximately 1.76 lbs and has a load capacity of 22 lbs.. They both fold down to about 13.4 inches. The reason why I mention these is because I have the Sirui EN-2004 for my usual needs which is excellent, and have been researching the two I am mentioning for use as a possibly lighter alternative if needed. The shortcuts to the products are below.

https://www.amazon.com/Sirui-T-1005X-5-Section-Aluminum-Tripod/dp/B004WY7TL8...luminum+Tripod

https://www.amazon.com/SIRUI-T-1205X-5-Section-Carbon-Tripod/dp/B004WY7UGW/r...Section+Tripod

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-03-2017 at 01:53 PM.
01-03-2017, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It depends on what you want to shoot, how you shoot, and how much you are willing to carry.
Most of my hiking I do with a K-S2 and 18-135 or K-S2 and DA15/40 and FA 77 and/or sometimes a Sears 135/2.8. More often than not it's the sealed zoom for ease and not having to change lenses in a potentially harsh environment.

I also hike with my larger cameras like the 645D or K-1 but that is usually a photography outing that requires hiking, not a hike that I want to snap some photos on.

If you are in forested areas the wider lenses are good for fitting more into the frame at close quarters. But if you are hiking in desert, above treeline, or a similarly wide open place, wide angle shots may not be that interesting unless the sky is interesting. I often shoot tighter if it's a wide open "moonscape" type of environment.

The biggest issue for me is carrying the camera so it is handy and doesn't fatigue me or get in my way.
I have a few different ways to do this but the most used for hiking is a Black Rapid strap with the locking stops that help secure the camera. That way is is handy all the time and I don't have to dig in a backpack to grab a shot.

I only bring a tripod for specific needs like HDR, Panoramas, or low light/long exposures. If I'm not planning those things the tripod doesn't come.

If I were you I'd start light and decide if you really need anything else before adding more gear.
01-03-2017, 03:52 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
It depends on what you want to shoot, how you shoot, and how much you are willing to carry.
If I were you I'd start light and decide if you really need anything else before adding more gear.
^What he said.
01-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I do a lot of day hikes with friends and take the K-1, 24-70 and 60-250 but often the 60-250 ends up staying in the bag. I just carry the k-1+24-70 in my hand so I can take quick snaps and still keep up. On many hikes the backpack just gets used to keep the water cool. Photo bags are great for that. Especially since you're hiking in socal.
01-11-2017, 09:27 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

My experience has been that the other things are what add weight.

A lot of suggestions for survival kits, but in Socal, the most important thing will be water and perhaps a jacket. Oh and sunscreen. Be careful of extras, and if in a group, divide the load up. If you become the group photographer, the others won't mind a bit. You'll give them memories.

I just did a trip to Joshua Tree and Death Valley. I almost never changed the lens on my camera. The wind and sand make WR more important than in rain.

BTW, lots of good short hikes in both NPs mentioned.

-Erik
01-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #42
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do some fairly rugged hiking (tramping) here in New Zealand. One of the best weight savers I have is to have a 28mm prime on the K30 as default. Any thing wide-angle required then just keep firing with the 28mm and stitch it later. 3 x portraits side by side and 4x landscapes in a window pane pattern cover most things a wide would cover. In hiking landscape subject movement is not a biggy.
I tend to carry a 50mm macro which does most natural history and portraiture. If I think I might need a tele I tend to take an old Takumar f5.6 200mm preset which performs alright. I concede a 55 - 300 might be better but my one is a dog!
I carry a monopod rather than a tripod - it is far more versatile.
I you can carry your camera in your hand a lot more images will happen. But don't compromise your safety.
01-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #43
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 01-02-17 at 06:26 PM ----------

One day trips. Nothing too ambitious. For multi day trips, I could justify packing the K-1, but for something where I'll be walking non-stop for hours, I'd want the lightest gear. I actually found a great deal on a DA 18-135 and bought it. I hope to use that! I'll probably take the advice of a few others and pack something like a 50 1.4 in case I need the extra light.
I have four older Manfrotto tripods with the octagonal plate and a couple of light weight tripods with Arca Swiss heads. I bought an inexpensive L bracket for the arca swiss heads but I also bought a arca swiss base plate which I attached to a octagonal plate that requires a coin or screwdriver to use. I carry that plate in my sling bag. So now I can use the L bracket on any of the tripods. You can buy well made ones for about $75 US with the plate or buy an inexpensive base plate for under 10.

This way you can use the same L bracket on your real tripod and your mefoto.
01-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I have four older Manfrotto tripods with the octagonal plate and a couple of light weight tripods with Arca Swiss heads. I bought an inexpensive L bracket for the arca swiss heads but I also bought a arca swiss base plate which I attached to a octagonal plate that requires a coin or screwdriver to use. I carry that plate in my sling bag. So now I can use the L bracket on any of the tripods. You can buy well made ones for about $75 US with the plate or buy an inexpensive base plate for under 10.

This way you can use the same L bracket on your real tripod and your mefoto.
That sounds pretty cool. Are there any brackets you could link to that would work with the manfotto mount?
01-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #45
Pentaxian

That sounds pretty cool. Are there any brackets you could link to that would work with the manfotto mount?
There are several Manfrotto quick release mounts, the one I have I think has been discontinued and I do not think would work well with an L bracket. With the solution I came up with it does not matter which tripod I have with me I can use the L bracket. The reason for the larger tripods is that I also shoot large and medium format film plus the area I live in is known for strong winds.

If this is your first hike for you and your friends I would suggest thinking about simply a point and shoot or bridge camera. That way you can have the camera always ready for snapshots which may be more important to you in the future than good landscape shots.