Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2017, 05:12 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

How they cover the Olympics

I just came across this video on Youtube - it's a 10 min. mini-documentary following several photographers (newspaper/Reuters/freelance etc.) around the Rio Olympics, showing how they cover their events, from Judo, to track, to the 100m sprint.

It's very well done, and I was especially amazed by the bit about how all the images are pretty much transferred wirelessly in real time, and the first image of Usain Bolt winning the 100 m was out (i.e. edited and online) in 58 seconds!

01-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Amazing
01-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow! Maybe photography should become an olympic event.
01-08-2017, 10:54 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By the way, another interesting article about the Olympiad's photo assignments and how they were covered came up in a last year issue of Popular Photography (the same one that ran the Pentax K1 test).

01-08-2017, 11:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definitely no time to struggle with slow auto focus issues...
01-09-2017, 02:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How'd they do that?

I'd be fascinated to see some stories on photography at the Olympics before the advent of autofocus and digital...

Chris
01-09-2017, 03:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'd be fascinated to see some stories on photography at the Olympics before the advent of autofocus and digital...

Chris
Before those things, people had no source for seeing the images until the next day at the very earliest, which makes things a bit more relaxed...plus they would be printed at newsprint resolutions, which made things even easier. High quality prints of proceedings had as much time as they needed to get published, if ever. It is only very recently that people expected high resolution, near-instant, published news images at their fingertips.

01-09-2017, 04:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Before those things, people had no source for seeing the images until the next day at the very earliest, which makes things a bit more relaxed ...
Actually, if you go to 9:06 the guy is saying that 30 years ago (analogue age) they took 40 minutes to get an image out. Depending on different time zones etc., that's quick enough to get it into the evening editions of newspapers, so you may well see an image from a morning race the same evening.

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I actually think that it would be cool to have a separate prize/medals for the best images of the Olympics. They often do become iconic, and it would be great to see photographers honoured that way.

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Definitely no time to struggle with slow auto focus issues...
Yeah, I am pretty sure no Pentax will give you a shot like 6:01, except through luck. You can prefocus on a bit of the railing and then let the fps do the job, but at that depth of field you will probably only get one frame in perfect focus, and if the facial expression isn't right in that one, you've got a problem. And it's not like the events are repeated and you get another shot ...

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 01-09-2017 at 04:49 AM.
01-09-2017, 05:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
All those resources spent on someone running around in circles...
01-09-2017, 06:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From the 1960's on we had live video from the Olympics via satellite.
Here in USA one of the major TV networks always provided wall-to-wall coverage.
In fact it was far more complete than what is broadcast now.
It seems viewers had greater interest and a far longer attention span then.

The Associated Press began its wirephoto service for transmission of still photos via telephone lines in 1935.

Chris
01-09-2017, 07:32 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Pentaxathlon?

* 100 megapixel dash
* 200m backfocus stroke
* long-lens jump
* tripod vaunt
* filter-discus throw
01-09-2017, 08:26 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Pentaxathlon?

* 100 megapixel dash
* 200m backfocus stroke
* long-lens jump
* tripod vaunt
* filter-discus throw
Photographic clay pigeon shooting. Each contestant gets an identical camera set to identical neutral settings, when the clock starts they to immediately choose their preferred settings quickly enough, then shoot a clay pigeon. The hit rate is the score, those taking too long to set up their AF will lose shots.
01-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wirelessly? I think I saw most cameras with a wired connection and the commentary mentioned cabling.

Not sure I'd trust a wireless network to handle the explosion in traffic at the end of the race.
01-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photographic clay pigeon shooting. Each contestant gets an identical camera set to identical neutral settings, when the clock starts they to immediately choose their preferred settings quickly enough, then shoot a clay pigeon. The hit rate is the score, those taking too long to set up their AF will lose shots.
You might be slightly slower, but you can make up for it if your image of the clay pigeon exhibits excellent microcontrast.

---------- Post added 01-09-17 at 12:33 PM ----------

Here are a couple articles about wire photo transmission that I thought were interesting.

Popular Mechanics - Google Books

Celebrating 80 Years of Associated Press' Wirephoto
01-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Thanks for posting that, certainly makes for a most interesting watch.