Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2017, 01:55 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zeiss Ikon Contessa - Found My Everyday Rangefinder

Well, I think I found my new EDC (every day carry) rangefinder, a Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35.

I bought it from eBay for $49.00. The shutter needed cleaning, but everything else was excellent, the meter still works and matches up to my Gossen Luna Pro F. The rangefinder is BRIGHT and contrasty, it's very easy to focus. Has a great Zeiss Opton T Tessar 45mm f2.8 lens. The Contessa is built extremely well also, typical Zeiss quality. It's one of the nicest built cameras I own.

The best thing is its size. When folded, the camera is TINY!

Here it is next to my Gossen Luna Pro F

And next to a can of pop

01-09-2017, 02:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations--you're lucky you got one with a working meter. I too have been impressed by the small size and great finder. Enjoy!
01-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a beautiful camera, and a great price considering the condition. Congratulations!
01-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #4

Nice find!

01-10-2017, 08:04 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I processed my first roll tonight. These are just quick snaps from around the yard and walking around as I was waiting on tires being installed on my truck. I shot a roll of Tri-X and developed it in Pyrocat MC for 13 minutes.

I like what I see! The meter worked well, even shooting directly into the sun. The rangefinder is very accurate. The lens is plenty sharp, even wide open, and there isn't really any flare to speak of.

01-10-2017, 10:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots with a nice camera.
01-10-2017, 10:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Well I processed my first roll tonight. These are just quick snaps from around the yard and walking around as I was waiting on tires being installed on my truck. I shot a roll of Tri-X and developed it in Pyrocat MC for 13 minutes.

I like what I see! The meter worked well, even shooting directly into the sun. The rangefinder is very accurate. The lens is plenty sharp, even wide open, and there isn't really any flare to speak of.

Good shots. The camera has similarities with a Retina II. These folders are very compact.
The Retina 1A is smaller and a good street shooter.
[IMG][/IMG]

01-11-2017, 01:18 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Those shots turned out very well... That's a beautiful F100, too
01-11-2017, 07:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.

I do have a Retina IIa, just got it yesterday in fact. Won it for $29.00.

While I like the IIa, the build quality just isn't there compared to the Contessa. The IIa feels kind of hollow, less robust compared to the contessa.

I fully plan on loading the IIa with some film and testing it out once I clean it up, but for right now, my vote definitely goes to the Contessa.

The IIa and Contessa are near identical in every dimension when they are closed though. I'll take some photos of them next to each other and post them here later today.
01-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Those shots turned out very well... That's a beautiful F100, too
I had to go back and look at the photos as I never saw one of a Nikon film camera. Guess I so used to of F150 and F350 to have even thought you were referring to a truck. I now feel a little dumb.
01-14-2017, 08:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks everyone.

I do have a Retina IIa, just got it yesterday in fact. Won it for $29.00.

While I like the IIa, the build quality just isn't there compared to the Contessa. The IIa feels kind of hollow, less robust compared to the contessa.

I fully plan on loading the IIa with some film and testing it out once I clean it up, but for right now, my vote definitely goes to the Contessa.

The IIa and Contessa are near identical in every dimension when they are closed though. I'll take some photos of them next to each other and post them here later today.
While I have no experience with your Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35, most other Zeiss range finder models did not appear well made to me, and despite my looking, could not find one to my liking. You must have a Stirling example if you regard it more solid than the Retina 11A. Let us know how the 6 element Xenon lf2 lens works for you. I was unable to pick a difference from the Xenar 2.8 on some of my other Retinas, just a stop more light.