My comment on Pentax Video

You can do worse for a lot more.

01-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You can do worse for a lot more.
+1. Nice catch Norm. I think I will pass on this one.
01-24-2017, 01:50 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seriously, I would *love* that camera, but for one significant ergonomic issue... the decimal point is too far to the right
01-24-2017, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

(This isn't directed at you Norm!!) I think it's hilarious internet photo gear people who will produce a ton of photos and no real video beyond camcorder level home video dismiss cameras of all sorts because of lack of 4K video support.

01-24-2017, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Seriously, I would *love* that camera, but for one significant ergonomic issue... the decimal point is too far to the right
But if you buy one, wouldn't you need another one to be you back up? Or would a measly 645z do for that?
01-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But if you buy one, wouldn't you need another one to be you back up? Or would a measly 645z do for that?
Nah, I'll just use my Phase One...
01-24-2017, 06:13 PM   #7
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I think it's hilarious internet photo gear people who will produce a ton of photos and no real video beyond camcorder level home video dismiss cameras of all sorts because of lack of 4K video support.
I agree! 4k is hardly the most important thing in a video camera. Canon cinema cameras only shoot 1080 (for the most part). Same with most Arri digital cameras.
I'm looking for quality video, not paper specs!
01-24-2017, 10:29 PM   #8
CDW
Pentaxian

I think it's hilarious internet photo gear people who will produce a ton of photos and no real video beyond camcorder level home video dismiss cameras of all sorts because of lack of 4K video support.

Some people shoot 4K for archiving and future proofing. Improved resolution is only one reason for shooting in UHD or Cinema 4K (17:9). The files offer lots of options in post and editing, as well as superior 1080 when down converted from 4K.

01-25-2017, 05:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote

Some people shoot 4K for archiving and future proofing. Improved resolution is only one reason for shooting in UHD or Cinema 4K (17:9). The files offer lots of options in post and editing, as well as superior 1080 when down converted from 4K.
All marketing mumbo jumbo for the average shooter.
01-25-2017, 06:19 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I agree! 4k is hardly the most important thing in a video camera. Canon cinema cameras only shoot 1080 (for the most part). Same with most Arri digital cameras.
I'm looking for quality video, not paper specs!
I think if I got serious about video I'd jump straight to one of the top of the line Panasonic m43 cameras with an external mic (s). They look like they'd do an amazing job.

One wonders about the codecs used in different cameras too - video codecs are crazy, so much variation in final result based on codec used.
01-25-2017, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think if I got serious about video I'd jump straight to one of the top of the line Panasonic m43 cameras with an external mic (s). They look like they'd do an amazing job.

One wonders about the codecs used in different cameras too - video codecs are crazy, so much variation in final result based on codec used.
I would definitely research to find a separate camera for the Video. Expecting the same camera to do your stills and video seems to me a recipe for frustration. Back in the day when video was part of my curriculum, I always had separate video and still cameras. That' how the world works as far as I see it. But some people are always searching for that holy grail. For them it's a crusade, and as far as I can tell, is about as productive.

IN a still camera I want the best possible still image for the money. That's looking ofr the best possibility out of probably hundreds of cameras.

Same with video,

So lets say I have 100 viable choices for video as well.

What are the odds that a camera will be the best at both? I don't even know how you would calculate that.

If you think about it objectively, combining the two functions makes for a ridiculous task with probably thousands of choices, swayed by the fact that you're going to have to compromise on both and apply some kind of moving target personal preference where you don't get everything you want. Just go for what you want in both, forget about trying to combine it in one camera body. That would be my take.

People just don't have the time to evaluate cameras for one or the other, forget about both.

Last edited by normhead; 01-25-2017 at 06:40 AM.
01-25-2017, 06:46 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would definitely research to find a separate camera for the Video. Expecting the same camera to do your stills and video seems to me a recipe for frustration. Back in the day when video was part of my curriculum, I always had separate video and still cameras. That' how the world works as far as I see it. But some people are always searching for that holy grail. For them it's a crusade, and as far as I can tell, is about as productive.

IN a still camera I want the best possible still image for the money. That's looking ofr the best possibility out of probably hundreds of cameras.

Same with video,

So lets say I have 100 viable choices for video as well.

What are the odds that a camera will be the best at both? I don't even know how you would calculate that.

If you think about it objectively, combining the two functions makes for a ridiculous task with probably thousands of choices, swayed by the fact that you're going to have to compromise on both and apply some kind of moving target personal preference where you don't get everything you want. Just go for what you want in both, forget about trying to combine it in one camera body. That would be my take.

People just don't have the time to evaluate cameras for one or the other, forget about both.
Yeah, for sure. I think even the lens selection is a bit different for cine and stills too. I've taken some video with my existing gear for one off projects, but I can't fault the results as I know I didn't buy the camera for that purpose. It does quite well really considering.

I think at this point the internet is a big negativity loop for some people with respect to gear.
01-25-2017, 07:12 AM   #13
Imp
Pentaxian

Sony A6000, good 1080 60p video, $320 used. $20 PK adapter.

m43 seems too small, i.e. when i put pk lenses on it, it would be really hard to go super wide
01-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Sony A6000, good 1080 60p video, $320 used. $20 PK adapter.

m43 seems too small, i.e. when i put pk lenses on it, it would be really hard to go super wide
You've gotta buy some m43 lenses to go with it for wide. I came to pentax from m43, m43 is a nice system, it delivers a lot for the sensor size. m43 has pretty amazing third party lens adapters, so bringing your k mount gear to the party would work pretty well I'd imagine.
01-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #15
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've used video precisely zero times on my K-50...