Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2017, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The resurgence of film - Oz news article

A quick read from a local news outlet regarding the resurgence of film photography. It's been happening for quite a while of course, but I guess when it makes mainstream news it becomes official or something like that.

Traditional film photography makes a comeback in digital age - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Tas

01-24-2017, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My digital cameras, Sigma DP2M and DP3M, are amazing tools and when they shine, boy they shine, but I rarely grasp them, I enjoy the film cameras so much more, TLR and MF SLR, and as a result, these cameras yield better pictures on average. Not because the digital ones can't.
Although an old slide user (which is demanding on exposure), I never used Ektachrome in the past and I'm really looking forward to trying it out!
01-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Good to see that even the younger ones are interested.
01-25-2017, 01:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My parents recently gave me their Olympus AF-1 Twin (in the US Infinity twin). It even came with undeveloped 10 yo film. I take it everywhere now. The great thing about cheap film point and shoots was they were always full frame.

01-25-2017, 08:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I miss film in a way but I don't miss the expense of getting it developed. And quite frankly, I don't even know of anyplace around here that still processes film. Oddly enough, I feel like the quality of the pictures I take has gone up from what it was in the film era. Sure, there's a huge number of unusable shots but the 'keepers' are far superior to the best of what I got on film. And I really like having a little instantaneous feedback via the camera's rear screen, which can often give me clues to adjust the camera's settings and try again immediately. The one thing I have never gotten into with digital is 'machine gun' photography, firing off an excessive number of frames in rapid succession, hoping to get at least one that's usable. I still prefer the 'sniper' approach of waiting for the perfect shot and then taking it, just like I did when I was shooting film. Yeah, I miss some shots that way but being more intentional about when I press the shutter release helps keep my eye better trained.
01-27-2017, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

While I have a soft spot for old ways making a comeback, I fear that it will be a short term fad which won't last. The cost and availability of photo processing will probably mean that only those who can develop and print themselves will keep it up, while the digital age will march on.

The only benefit I could really see in going back to wet film types would be for educational establishments. Serious young photographers should be taught to get the image as close to perfect on the first shutter, not snap, snap, snap and photoshop the best later
01-27-2017, 11:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Serious young photographers should be taught to get the image as close to perfect on the first shutter, not snap, snap, snap and photoshop the best later
absolutely yes. agree there
01-28-2017, 06:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I would never give up the power and subtlety of PP RAW data for the crudeness and hassle of chemical development.

01-28-2017, 05:12 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
absolutely yes. agree there
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I would never give up the power and subtlety of PP RAW data for the crudeness and hassle of chemical development.
One could wonder why golfers don't just carry the ball over and put it in the hole, if that is their goal. He would then not understand that it is not just the goal, but the process that delights.
01-28-2017, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Instead of using Lightroom to achieve film simulation effects, I just use film.
01-28-2017, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
One could wonder why golfers don't just carry the ball over and put it in the hole, if that is their goal. He would then not understand that it is not just the goal, but the process that delights.
Indeed!

Yet imagine trying to learn to play golf if you had to wait one week to find out whether the ball went in the hole. Sure, you can make 36 careful putts in a row, but you still have to wait one week to see where the balls went and if any went in. Learning would be really really slow.

The key to learning is lots of practice with immediate feedback. Trying to apply what you know but then getting to see the results as soon as possible helps reinforce what you're doing right and immediately correct things that are going wrong.

Digital photography provides a much better learning experience than film if it is done right. That's not spray-and-pray in P mode but more intentional attempts to get a particular image and immediate review of success or failure.
01-28-2017, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote

The key to learning is lots of practice with immediate feedback. Trying to apply what you know but then getting to see the results as soon as possible helps reinforce what you're doing right and immediately correct things that are going wrong.

Digital photography provides a much better learning experience than film if it is done right. That's not spray-and-pray in P mode but more intentional attempts to get a particular image and immediate review of success or failure.
I have to agree. I've always been more of a 'sniper' than a 'machine gunner' when it comes to taking pictures. I first got into photography when I took a course in high school. We'd shoot one day and develop the next. We were also encouraged to make notes on exposures for every shot we took. When I finally got my own camera a few years later, I kept up that practice, at least at first. Still, when I would get pictures back a week or two after shooting them, it was hard to remember exactly what I had done, much less learn from my mistakes. Shooting for a newspaper after college and getting copious feedback from other photogs was an invaluable learning experience.
01-28-2017, 11:38 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have a mini-lab at the local shopping mall.

I bought a Pentax PZ-1 some months back (thanks, Sandy) but I still haven't tried it out.

QuoteQuote:
"There's that excitement of getting photos printed, and for many it's the first lot of prints they've ever had," he said
I agree.

With digital, I often don't look at the pics I've taken. I upload them to my PC and tend to forget about them until I need a pic to use here or illustrate a post.
01-29-2017, 04:56 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote

I disagree. Chemical development is fun, and rewarding.
Sitting at a computer manipulating images is dead boring...

Chris
01-29-2017, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
it is not just the goal, but the process that delights.
To the extent that is true then I'm more "delighted" by Photoshop than the darkroom both as a powerful but subtle tool and as a process in it's own right.

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by wildman; 01-29-2017 at 06:26 AM.