Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2017, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #1

Has anyone photographed a total solar eclipse?

I'm planning to observe the total eclipse crossing the US in August and would like to attempt photographing it. I'm in the process of shopping for equipment compatible with my K3-II, not only for the eclipse, but also for astrophotography/landscapes etc. Since the eclipse is about 7 months away, right now I'm concentrating on a tripod, telephoto lens or telescope (reserching those on Sky and Telescope), and appropriate filters to protect my equipment before and after totality.

Interested-observer gave me detailed info for tripods on my intro thread. But I would like to hear from people about what they like and don't like about their tripods.

I know it might be a bit late in the game to plan for this event. In my defense, my husband and I have been involved in renovating a 1979 Airstream. It's been a two-year process and now that we're wrapping it up, I've had time to look at what's happening in the great wide world and start looking at photo equipment. (Photography opportunities was actually one of the reasons we got the trailer in the first place.)

01-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was fortunate to live in Montana where totality covered almost the entire state, on Feb. 26, 1979. Got some great photos, but sure don't remember what equipment I had used then.
01-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #3

Watching this thread as I'm planning a trip to North Carolina for the eclipse myself and would love to see peoples' input.
01-30-2017, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Never a total, just some moldy cheese...

Sun Spots
K5 & F*300/4.5 w/9-stop ND. 1/8000th sec.

I'd say a 300mm or longer with at least a 9-stop ND filter should get you in the ballbark for good shots. Don't look into the viewfinder! I know that sounds obvious, but I got frustrated trying to see my LCD screen in direct sunlight and looked into the viewfinder to focus this shot...aack.

Have fun. As for sensor safety, just err on the side of being stopped down and progressively open to find correct exposure. We shoot sky scenes with the full sun in the frame all the time, so an eclipse is not that different, especially when using responsible shutter speeds.

Here's the 2012 near total from San Francisco:
Coit Tower & Solar Eclipse

01-30-2017, 11:19 AM   #5

In preparation for this eclips, I bought a skywatcher star adventurer tracking mount. As usually is the case with most astronomical buys, weather will stay cloudy for the next couple of days, so I haven't tested it yet.
Till now, I used a manfrotto 410 geared head on a 294A3 tripod, might upgrade the tripod for the tracking mount, but for now, it can handle it.
Will try to shoot in white light with a small refractor, 400mm focal lenght, f5.6 and solar filter (baader).
Currently reading in on eclipse orchestra and apps alike to make a script.

Best to practice a lot beforehand. If something goes wrong during the eclips: just forget about the photography and enjoy the moment, it will be over in no time.
01-30-2017, 08:45 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I'd say a 300mm or longer with at least a 9-stop ND filter should get you in the ballbark for good shots.
Don't forget to take the ND filter off at totality.

And bracket, bracket, bracket. You want the streamers. Brightness varies radially. You'll get best results with HDR combination of your bracketed shots.
01-30-2017, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
And bracket, bracket, bracket.
AKA BLH = Bracket Like Hell

01-30-2017, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

and try to capture a shot of the shadows on the ground making those strange donuts. That is freaky.
01-31-2017, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
The main goal for us is just seeing the total eclipse. If I succeed in getting photos, that's just gravy on the mashed potatoes. (There is always the 2024 eclipse crossing my home state.)

I have been shopping for equipment in between other projects. On some things, like lenses, I do have a wish list. The one exception there is a telephoto. Haven't narrowed that one down yet. Looked at new Pentax telephoto and got sticker shock. Used lenses in good condition are actually prefered right now and one of the reasons I chose Pentax in the first place. The tripod is the other item that's been giving me fits. It might not always be used for astrophotography, so the ones with motorized heads included, while interesting, might be too much of a one trick pony.

---------- Post added 01-31-17 at 08:12 AM ----------

By the way, MikeSF, I do like your photos.

On all the eclipse reading I've done, I have noticed the shadow was mentioned. We're looking at staying in an area where large crowds aren't too likely. My husband really wants a drone. Thinking he might get the job of making an eclipse video. But I'm sure that would be a discussion on a different kind of forum.
01-31-2017, 09:07 AM   #10

Concerning video: I think a gopro or something similar, filming the spectators/surrounding as it gets dark might be quite nice.
02-01-2017, 06:30 AM   #11

Original Poster
GoPros are certainly more affordable than drones with high quality video. With drones, you also have to be more considerate of others watching the event. A drone would have to be positioned where the noise doesn't bother others. For now, we're concentrating on getting the equipment I've been wanting for a while, then will see what's left in the budget. Otherwise, if our younger daughter is able to join us, we can always pop her up on the roof of our Nissan NV 3500 to make a cell phone video.
02-01-2017, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #12
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

More info here.
02-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
More info here.
I would urge anyone interested in doing this follow the link posted by TedH42 and the other material linked in that forum thread

be careful, failure to properly take precautions could lead to severe eye injury according to info in that thread and supporting links
02-02-2017, 06:28 AM   #14

Original Poster
I've already purchased 15 pairs eclipse glasses from this site . Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Path Through the United States

They have them for the best price I've seen so far, and 15 pairs is the maximum you can get with free shipping. We may not need that many pairs, but I ordered them any way. If someone shows up where we're staying not quite prepared, I can share my extras.

Other than my camera equipment, other devices we may be using won't be used to record the eclipse itself.
02-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #15

I haven't got any chance to take such pictures.