Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2017, 12:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Buy gear in Singapore, possible ?

I'll have a trip to Singapore in April, do you guys have experience buying gear (either new or used) there ? how does the price compared to US, EU price ? any good address will be appreciated
And also, where should I go to shoot (some must-have location ) ?

Thanks in advance

02-03-2017, 01:57 AM - 5 Likes   #2
Forum Member

There are quite a few Singapore guys here in Pentax forum (including me)..

Generally, if you are looking at the new DFA lenses, US will be cheaper than in Singapore. Any lenses you have in mind? Maybe we can advise you on the price easier..

On the must shoot locations, I supposed most tourists in Singapore will be shooting the Marina Bay Sands, Garden by the Bay, Chinatown

The pentax community do organize gatherings once awhile so maybe you can join in one if the chance arise

Shooting the Central Business District (CBD) from Marina Bay Sands

Marina Bay Sands

Garden by the Bay

Buddha Tooth Relic Temple at Chinatown (note: the temple only light up at night on special occasions.)
02-03-2017, 03:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yamakasi Quote
Generally, if you are looking at the new DFA lenses, US will be cheaper than in Singapore. Any lenses you have in mind? Maybe we can advise you on the price easier..
thanks a lot for your quick reply, I'm having the DA 15mm f4 controlling my mind and another one is the Samyang 135mm f2
I don't mind used lens so any trust-worthy small local shop is fine too

Also thanks for the addresses, I'll check out those sites for sure !

---------- Post added 02-03-17 at 11:22 AM ----------

wow, those are some amazing photos, make me want to go to SG right now

Last edited by redcat; 02-03-2017 at 03:23 AM.
02-03-2017, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I remember when the K-30 first came out, it was significantly less expensive to order it from the Singapore Pentax site and have it shipped to the US. There was a thread about it and quite a few people, including myself, ordered it before the Singapore site basically got a "cease and desist" type order from corporate and stopped shipping to the US.

02-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamakasi Quote
There are quite a few Singapore guys here in Pentax forum (including me)..

On the must shoot locations, I supposed most tourists in Singapore will be shooting the Marina Bay Sands, Garden by the Bay, Chinatown

The pentax community do organize gatherings once awhile so maybe you can join in one if the chance arise

Shooting the Central Business District (CBD) from Marina Bay Sands

Marina Bay Sands

Garden by the Bay

Buddha Tooth Relic Temple at Chinatown (note: the temple only light up at night on special occasions.)

Those are gorgeous!
02-03-2017, 08:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I remember when the K-30 first came out, it was significantly less expensive to order it from the Singapore Pentax site and have it shipped to the US. There was a thread about it and quite a few people, including myself, ordered it before the Singapore site basically got a "cease and desist" type order from corporate and stopped shipping to the US.
that might be the exchange rate ^^
02-03-2017, 10:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll try to find the name of the camera shop in Chinatown that ripped me off.

To be honest, I've found Australia to be cheaper (for a lot of stuff) than Singapore and Hong Kong.

02-04-2017, 12:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote

To be honest, I've found Australia to be cheaper (for a lot of stuff) than Singapore and Hong Kong.
How things have changed. I remember when I was young and could not afford it that Singapore was the cheap place to buy stuff. Now the other way around. People from Singapore sometimes buy stuff in Australia because it is cheaper.
02-04-2017, 01:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found my post on another forum:

QuoteQuote:
Don't go to Digitronics Synergy in Chinatown. Guess who made the mistake of doing so and got ripped off.

I wasn't the only one: Buying in Singapore? - Photo.net Digital Darkroom Forum
Re prices,on a recent trip to Hong Kong we priced a pair of Parrot Zik3 noise cancelling headphones at the HKG airport duty free. They were A$100 cheaper buying from an Australian (not duty free) store. We showed the store employee the ad on our iPad (we did a search on-line while at the airport) but the duty free store wouldn't/couldn't match the Aussie price.
02-04-2017, 06:08 AM   #10
Forum Member

The camera shops in Chinatown are mainly tourist traps

I will avoid buying any electronics items in the area...other things are not so bad

---------- Post added 02-04-17 at 09:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. Ed Quote
Those are gorgeous!
thank you
02-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I found my post on another forum:

Re prices,on a recent trip to Hong Kong we priced a pair of Parrot Zik3 noise cancelling headphones at the HKG airport duty free. They were A$100 cheaper buying from an Australian (not duty free) store. We showed the store employee the ad on our iPad (we did a search on-line while at the airport) but the duty free store wouldn't/couldn't match the Aussie price.

I often feel as though the duty free shops in airports do not extract tax from buyers but instead either pocket the money as extra profit or the airports charge exorbitant rent, making the whole idea of duty free something of a scam. Also, there seem to be a few brands of DF shop internationally, so that it is a very uncompetitive field - also, very few airports have competing shops in the same product lines and only huge airports have more than one shop in each class of goods, probably selling different brands.

When I see those 'price match' claims by shops I often wonder why they do not just tell people: "go there and buy on the other shop's Ts&Cs", or if they really can sell at the price, why not be more competitive up front.

In the old HK airport I once saw a bottle shop that seemed not to have any bottle of alcohol containing beverage under about USD700, in the mid 90s. Clearly not seeking high volume of turnover from the average traveller.
02-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a matter if interest, I visited the Yodabashi store in Tokyo this afternoon and had a look at the D FA 15-30 F2.8 ED SDM WR the price of which was ¥213,580.00 after deducting the tax free allowance. This calculates back to Aus.$2847.00 at the exchange rate I bought ¥ for. In Australia I can purchase this lens for Aus.$2,099.00.

I know the OP is going to Singapore but I guess what I am trying to point out is, these days it is important to do your research.

I stuck the lens onto my K-1 and took this in-store sample shot.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-03-2017 at 03:12 AM.