Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Opteka.com Review

Hi all,

I haven't seen a review of Opteka.com, but just wanted to share my experience with you all if you do decide to purchase from them. I was looking to upgrade my collection of manual focus lenses to the discontinued sigma 50mm f/1.4 and there were the only ones to still have in stock.

I was a bit skeptical as their "About Us" page was generic, no email, or phone information at all. But with G.A.S. overpowering me, I decided to order.
I can understand a day or so in shipping and processing delay as I ordered roughly 3pm (PST) last Thursday and found they were over in Brooklyn. I also ordered with one-day air shipping.

But as the weekend went by, no package, no shipping/track number. Nothing. So, I decided to call on Monday. I got through about the 3rd time I called customer service (the automated message loops, if no one on the other end answers). They told me they had "processing problems" (which I've never had before with B/H or Adorama) and proceeded to tell me they'll ship it out today. Well, Monday went by. Nothing.

As today (Tuesday) rolled around, I'm starting to get worried. After about 4 attempts, I finally get through and they proceed to tell me they shipped it out yesterday, although I never received a tracking number or anything. They sent me a tracking number while I was on the line with them as well as stated they will refund my shipping costs and well...let's see if they get my order right and stick to their promise.

In Sum, for those looking to purchase from them, it seems
  • They are a conglomerate under the name "Royal Group" and classified as a "eyeglass company" under BBB
  • They are located somewhere in Brooklyn, NY, USA
  • You have to be the proactive consumer and bug them about your order.
  • They are not really consumer-focused
  • Their customer service line is: 718-954-9272 (if they do not answer, keep trying. They'll answer)
Hopefully I get what I ordered, but I will most likely never order from them again. I can't speak for Opteka glass, but their ordering process and customer service is horrendous.

02-14-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would be looking up the number of my local consumer affairs and complaints organisation to have that handy if I were you. All that sounds like the biggest collection of red flags in internet history.

Not saying they are actual scam artists, but I think if I were to buy any of their stuff, it would be through a third party (e.g. Amazon) that was in charge of dealing with shady business and sorting stuff out, or actually over the counter in a store that was selling their brand, where you could put your hands on the goods and walk out with them as soon as the money was down (again having the store's protection if anything needed returning).
02-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would not want to deal with this vendor for the reasons below. You don't need multiple business names all located under the same roof and no outside markings to show a business is located here.
Demand they either send you a tracking number and immediate shipment or contact your credit card company to dispute/cancel the charge.

Brooklyn Camera/Electronic Dealer StoreFronts

Delta Marketing Corp., dba 47th Street Photo of New York (47StPhoto.com, stores.ebay.com/47th-Street-Photo), aka Photo Video Computers Electronics
1635 McDonald Ave.
New location for this dealer (and better for shipping and receiving). I came upon it in January 2009. A July 2014 visit found they have doubled the street frontage and added new awnings. Here is a May 2009 picture.
Formerly at: 395 Kings Highway, Bensonhurst
While no street address was at the web site, this was the address listed in the phone directory for the Delta and 47thSt names. Also the address in the NY entity database. The whois had a box in the post office with the same zip code as this address. The phone number on the whois reversed to 47th St Photo at this address. Photo Video Computers Electronics used the same phone number, and was listed in the phone directory and HelloBrooklyn.com at this address (and other directory sites). They are also a surplus club that sells on eBay and on Amazon. At one time they owned NikonDigital.com which they redirected to 47StPhoto.com (but Nikon took it). In 2004 it read Delta Marketing Inc. on the door. Legal name is Corp., not Inc. By May 2006, when this was taken, the Inc was scraped off. They are the US distributor for Opteka.com. They left here before January 2009. At this old location all signs and the awning are gone and a for rent sign is on the building.
02-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eminker Quote
I would not want to deal with this vendor for the reasons below. You don't need multiple business names all located under the same roof and no outside markings to show a business is located here.
Demand they either send you a tracking number and immediate shipment or contact your credit card company to dispute/cancel the charge.

Brooklyn Camera/Electronic Dealer StoreFronts

Delta Marketing Corp., dba 47th Street Photo of New York (47StPhoto.com, stores.ebay.com/47th-Street-Photo), aka Photo Video Computers Electronics
1635 McDonald Ave.
New location for this dealer (and better for shipping and receiving). I came upon it in January 2009. A July 2014 visit found they have doubled the street frontage and added new awnings. Here is a May 2009 picture.
Formerly at: 395 Kings Highway, Bensonhurst
While no street address was at the web site, this was the address listed in the phone directory for the Delta and 47thSt names. Also the address in the NY entity database. The whois had a box in the post office with the same zip code as this address. The phone number on the whois reversed to 47th St Photo at this address. Photo Video Computers Electronics used the same phone number, and was listed in the phone directory and HelloBrooklyn.com at this address (and other directory sites). They are also a surplus club that sells on eBay and on Amazon. At one time they owned NikonDigital.com which they redirected to 47StPhoto.com (but Nikon took it). In 2004 it read Delta Marketing Inc. on the door. Legal name is Corp., not Inc. By May 2006, when this was taken, the Inc was scraped off. They are the US distributor for Opteka.com. They left here before January 2009. At this old location all signs and the awning are gone and a for rent sign is on the building.
Yep, bad hombres...

FWIW, the first clue should have been the Opteka product line.

Steve

02-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You lost me there. How is 'Opteka' different from the upteen other rebadge companies, many of whom are
quite legitimate?
02-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yep, bad hombres...

Steve
I'm sure they're quality products. Just like Cambron back in the day
02-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is this the same Opteka that sells a 650-2600mm lens on Amazon for $195.00?

02-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

He got a tracking number on the telephone call today. Crossing my fingers that it all turns out ok for him.
02-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcphoto Quote
...They are located somewhere in Brooklyn, NY, USA...
That's a warning to me. Brooklyn has a history for shady electronics dealers. No, not every store in the county is bad, but there seems to be a concentration of crooked electronics stores there. A few individuals keep opening new company names as soon as their last company gets caught too many times. The other 4 counties that make up New York City don't have the same reputation.
02-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
You lost me there. How is 'Opteka' different from the upteen other rebadge companies, many of whom are
quite legitimate?
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I'm sure they're quality products. Just like Cambron back in the day
I have not been impressed with what I have seen at swap meets and what I have acquired as "freebies" thrown in with other lens purchases. My impression that their products are consistently a step below Cambron and definitely below Spiratone and on the same order as optics sold by flea market vendors.

Steve
02-14-2017, 01:29 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Is this the same Opteka that sells a 650-2600mm lens on Amazon for $195.00?
Yes...what a deal, eh?
02-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
He got a tracking number on the telephone call today. Crossing my fingers that it all turns out ok for him.
I hope you are right.
If not, I live in Brooklyn, NY not far from Opteka.com/47th St Photo/whatever, I would be more than happy to knock on their door and share some deep down Brooklyn NY attitude with them.
02-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope you are right.
If not, I live in Brooklyn, NY not far from Opteka.com/47th St Photo/whatever, I would be more than happy to knock on their door and share some deep down Brooklyn NY attitude with them.
That made me grin. I have had many NYC friends over the years - from Staten Island to Brooklyn and even some Manhattanites. I have loved all of them. The town has a reputation that is undeserved. NYC people are good people.
02-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes...what a deal, eh?
I've always wondered what that lens would be like, and for a couple hundred bucks I've thought about buying it but until my wishlist at B&H is empty I don't want to spend the money.
02-14-2017, 05:29 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
That's a warning to me. Brooklyn has a history for shady electronics dealers. No, not every store in the county is bad, but there seems to be a concentration of crooked electronics stores there. A few individuals keep opening new company names as soon as their last company gets caught too many times. The other 4 counties that make up New York City don't have the same reputation.
Having been born and living most of my life in Brooklyn, NY I have seen many camera & electronics stores come and go in both Manhattan and Brooklyn, many not exactly reputable. The important thing nowadays is that NYC has Adorama and B&H so stay safe and stick with either of them.