Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
Forum Member

What is the best way to backup photos online?

I been using Amazon prime photos. But I been having problems with it. There seems to be no way to add a new folder. I can't figure out how to do it.

I'm thinking of trying Dropbox or flickr.

02-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #2

With prime photos why don't you just create albums and store the pictures there?
02-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it allow raw?
02-24-2017, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depends on your total volume. My library is closing in on 4tb so online backup is not really practical anymore. If all you are worried about is the finished jpgs, then Flickr is fine. Any of the 'dropbox' style systems, like OneDrive, GoogleDrive and so on will work but typically have size limitations that I cannot work with but might be fine for you. Check your library size and see how much space you need.

If you are willing to pay a monthly fee then there are more options like Carbonite or Crashplan. See here: The Best Online Backup Services of 2017 - The Best Online Backup Services | Roundup | PCMag.com

02-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check to be sure any service provider is not stripping off metadata.
02-24-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BullsOnParade81 Quote
With prime photos why don't you just create albums and store the pictures there?
I'm trying to. If copy and paste photos to the Amazon folder it will move them instead of copying them. Amazon prime photos has been trying to sync the same 15 files from my phone for the last 2 Months. And there is no way to stop it.

Google photos seems to be good

02-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I keep my photos in 4 places: RAWS and JPGs on: my computer, Google Drive, and Drop Box cloud storage. Finished JPGs on Flickr.

Works for me and the chance of all 4 repositories going down is almost nill....

02-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Been with Flickr 11 years and never had any problems(he says,putting a hex on it!)
02-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Google drive is free for photos if Google compress them

02-26-2017, 06:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me, on line is a transient thing. I use it for short term backup, mostly of phones and other hand held devices, occasionally for photos, This is done through Dropbox and automatic upload of photos taken to Dropbox which is allowed with both apple and android devices

My real backup is a pair of hard disks, one locked away and another off site. For viewing and access on line ( which is why people want on line storage usually) I use the Air-Photos app on my iPad,mand the server app on my desktop,

While I understand that ultimately things are moving to the cloud, I am not ready for that yet, and certainly when you consider what you need to pay at present.