Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2017, 06:05 AM - 11 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Just got back from CP+ - Report with Photos

I've just got back from Yokohama after an enjoyable few days meeting friends and taking photos. But the real reason I went, of course, was to visit CP+, which I did on Friday, so let's get to it.

Pentax/Ricoh booth: pretty good. Obviously much attention was being lavished on the KP, with a large banner and 'touch and try' sessions. The other big displays were for the K-1, GR, Theta and 645, with everything else in cases. Interestingly, and perhaps good news for Q fans, there were four Q-S1s in various colours and the whole range of lenses displayed. I was fairly surprised by this as I was pretty sure that the Q line was dead, but perhaps this is a glimmer of hope. The new 50mm lens was also there, albeit as a non-functional prototype. In the flesh it wasn't quite as huge as the photographs had suggested, but still pretty big. I hope it lives up to its size!

Other booths: Canon and Nikon's were big, and despite the recent concern over their performance, Nikon's display was the only one I didn't take a look at because it was just too crowded and popular. Canon had three stages giving demonstrations, and others had the usual set of sports displays to get people raving about their AF performance. Strangest display award goes to Tamron, who had a large vase of flowers and a few other decorations, plus models holding their lenses, all on a stage. Sigma had a big piece of prose on a board about how they want to encourage people to take photography slowly - maybe that 14mm f1.8 was made to weigh us down to make sure we can only walk slowly to shoots. I was sad to see that Fujifilm had nothing about film apart from the Instax range - I feel like they're missing the boat on the film renaissance, continuing to ignore and discontinue as Kodak brings back Ektachrome and we see Ferrania finally getting somewhere. Cosina had wheeled out the whole Voigtlander range in nice glass cases, including interesting cross sections of most of the lenses. Samyang had their full range on display, with the emphasis on the new AF series, and the Chinese lens makers had small booths too.

In one corner, the JCII Camera Museum (the same JCII whose little gold stickers film shooters will be used to finding on old Japanese cameras) had brought a few exhibits. One, about stereo photography, included the Asahi Pentax stereo kit, and another on early digital photography featured the Ricoh DC-1.

Upstairs, I made a beeline for the Used Camera Fair, in which a few Tokyo camera stores had brought large chunks of their stock to sell. Plenty of Pentax kicking around there too, including several original Ks and Asahiflexes. One shop had a very large range of recovered film cameras - not something I'm usually very interested in, but all arranged together they were very pretty.

All in all, I had a good time at CP+. I was hoping Ricoh might have had one extra surprise up their sleeve, but really we can't complain about a new camera and a new lens, even if the lens is a little way off. I am a bit concerned about the lack of the K-3 II replacement though - stocks have almost dried up here in Japan (amazon.jp has 2 left in stock), and Pentax doesn't have a D7200 and 7D rivalling SLR. It seems strange to me to discontinue a product when its replacement isn't ready, but what goes on behind the scenes at Ricoh is always something of an enigma. I'd like to make it clear that I'm not a Pentax is Doomed person, but I do sometimes find their strategies rather frustrating and opaque. The main thing I'm hoping for is a great camera, as soon as possible. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

02-25-2017, 06:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thank-you - I love these personal takes - so much stuff that the press just isn't interested in, but gives a better flavour of the show

---------- Post added 02-25-17 at 06:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
In the flesh it wasn't quite as huge as the photographs had suggested, but still pretty big. I hope it lives up to its size!
that's interesting - the fact that the filter size was 72 compared to the Sigma 77 had made me wonder if we weren't getting a bit carried away with the size
02-25-2017, 06:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting.... it's always good to see what Pentax and others are doing.
02-25-2017, 07:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Awesome report. Thanks for sharing!

02-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Really like the pictures of the lenses cut open, that would have been neat to see. I always wonder what the inside looks like but I'm not going to try to take one apart on my own.
02-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got back from CP+ - Report with Photos
Thanks for the report. Your photo are very good, 4/3, what camera did you use?
02-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks edmundrt for taking the time to report!
As others have said your personal report is very interesting and quite broad. The stereo adaptors are interesting and I was not aware such a thing existed - would probably work fine on the K-1!
02-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Your photo are very good, 4/3, what camera did you use?
Thank you! I used a Panasonic GF7 with the 25mm f1.7 lens, it's a great little camera and so portable. I'm guilty of taking it out more than any SLR recently.

02-25-2017, 11:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you! I used a Panasonic GF7 with the 25mm f1.7 lens, it's a great little camera and so portable. I'm guilty of taking it out more than any SLR recently.
Thanks. Very nice images. With the bokeh, I thought it would have been a larger format; images look clean at that size.