Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
Pentaxian

I'm Back

This showed up in my newsfeed this morning.

Transform Your Analog SLR Into A DSLR Using I'm Back (video) - Geeky Gadgets

03-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking at the pictures on his website and seeing the video all I can say is... I'm suspicious. Anyone seen any details on the "sensor"?
03-15-2017, 08:53 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
More Kickstarter vaporware.
03-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #4

8 megapixel camera?

QuoteQuote:
Take beautiful 35mm pictures with your old analog cameras! All you have to do is: – Detach the rear cap from the camera (this works on most cameras between the 50s and the 80s) – Adjust the exposure “hole” to the camera module installed on the back (8mp camera) – Connect the Sync Flash cable from the camera to the case – Set the exposure in “B” (Bulb) and you’re ready to go!

03-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
More Kickstarter vaporware.
What he said ^ ^ ^

What a joke. What the Kickstarter investor gets is the 3-D printer files to craft the cradle to hold the electronics. The actual innards are about as hokey as it gets. The device places a ground glass at the film plane and uses a tiny camera to photograph that ground glass.

A few years ago I saw a project where someone had cannibalized a NEX to fit into the rear of an Exakta. It was a bit crude, but it actually worked. That is more than I can say for this project.

Steve
03-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why so serious? I'm looking at this more as a fun thing to do. The music accompanying the video is certainly fun, as is the whole in-my-basement presentation. Wouldn't mind putting some of my old Pentax bodies to work again, even if the result is something akin to what Lomo delivers, and I'm not dissing Lomo either. That's also fun to use.
03-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by demondata Quote
Why so serious? I'm looking at this more as a fun thing to do. The music accompanying the video is certainly fun, as is the whole in-my-basement presentation. Wouldn't mind putting some of my old Pentax bodies to work again, even if the result is something akin to what Lomo delivers, and I'm not dissing Lomo either. That's also fun to use.
Cool! Front him 75 Euro and keep us updated on how it goes.

Steve

03-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm going to start a Kickstarter so that you guys can fund my investment in this guy's Kickstarter project. When I get the product, I'll post a review.

...Or I could pick up a roll of film...
03-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll sell one of my S2 Pro bodies for a hundred bucks.
Simply take Fuji guts and firmware out of hacked Nikon N80 and reverse engineer.
Fuji didn't have to pick Nikon. They could have stuffed it into anything.
03-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #10

It could be fun. For maybe 30 shots before you get bored with it. At least you could use the Raspberry Pi for other fun projects.
03-15-2017, 01:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only wish a product like eFilm became a viable alternative. Needless to say, 1.3MP isn't going to cut it, but it was a great idea that was probably killed by Sony, Canon, Toshiba, Kodak, and anyone with any say in the future of DSLR profits:

Faded dream: blogger looks back at the failure of the Silicon Film project: Digital Photography Review
03-15-2017, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

The eFilm idea had a few things going wrong with it at the time.
Yes, the megapixel count was below what was really needed.
But mainly, the thing lacked the one feature that got everybody singing the praises of digital back then - the review screen on the back of the camera.
Digital cameras lumbered along in relative obscurity, until that screen came along - then everyone wanted one. The joy of knowing "it turned out", or knowing that you needed to delete that shot and try again was invaluable to the success of the digital point-and-shoot, or SLR.
The eFilm adapter didn't have that - never mind that a 1.3MP CMOS sensor at the time would have been pretty miserable.

Today, with much smaller circuitry, better battery life, and micro SD storage, I'll bet a good case could be made to create a digital back to go on an LX. But if you wanted to get the thing off the ground, you'd probably be better launching it first for the Canon AE-1 and Nikon FE.

I'm sure there's other technical challenges to overcome, but if they built digital backs to go on a Hasselblad 500cm, I'm sure 35mm bodies are possible.

Still, if someone pulled it off, it would probably three seconds before the whiners at dPreview were asking "why doesn't it shoot 4k video?"
03-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
I'm sure there's other technical challenges to overcome, but if they built digital backs to go on a Hasselblad 500cm, I'm sure 35mm bodies are possible.
Yes, if you can find a 35mm body that couples the exposure flow to the back in a manner similar to the Hassy 500CM, one could manage similar work flow as with that camera. Things would still be sort of clunky.

Steve
03-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have a pristine Super ME ready for this!

---------- Post added 03-17-17 at 07:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
The eFilm idea had a few things going wrong with it at the time.
Yes, the megapixel count was below what was really needed.
But mainly, the thing lacked the one feature that got everybody singing the praises of digital back then - the review screen on the back of the camera.
Digital cameras lumbered along in relative obscurity, until that screen came along - then everyone wanted one. The joy of knowing "it turned out", or knowing that you needed to delete that shot and try again was invaluable to the success of the digital point-and-shoot, or SLR.
The eFilm adapter didn't have that - never mind that a 1.3MP CMOS sensor at the time would have been pretty miserable.

Today, with much smaller circuitry, better battery life, and micro SD storage, I'll bet a good case could be made to create a digital back to go on an LX. But if you wanted to get the thing off the ground, you'd probably be better launching it first for the Canon AE-1 and Nikon FE.

Still, if someone pulled it off, it would probably three seconds before the whiners at dPreview were asking "why doesn't it shoot 4k video?"
I think that as long you can isolate the mirror box from external light, this should work quite well..
03-18-2017, 08:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Back when I first heard about this, I was taking phone pics with a Palm Pilot.
Maybe 600x800 if it was even that much.
My 7 year old Droid X has an 8megapixel camera in it.
I mean I can literally go on eBay right now and pick up a 16mp digital back for 645 for a couple hundred bucks.
If there was any money in 35mm digital film, it wouldn't be vaporware anymore and it'd be 30 megapixels.

Back to reality though I wish everyone would forget it and let it die.
I'd hate to see 35mm film go extinct for convenience/laziness/short sightedness.
Impossible Project 35mm? I'd be buthurt.