Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Do not underestimate Google
No, indeed. They'll no doubt push it through their browser, Chrome. Anywhere that gets more eyes on a page means more potential revenue for them. They're not doing it for altruistic reasons.

Clearly, they haven't done this to improve IQ on a mobile phone screen, but it may have benefits for memory use on cheaper phones.

03-19-2017, 06:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Google has always pushed for faster loading webpages. This agenda may hide some sinister plot, but as someone on a shoddy internet service in the boondocks I'm in favour of anything that reduces web payload size. Or if sites like Facebook opted for the same filesizes but less lossy jpegs, that would also be great (but not what I'd expect from them!).

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Saw some discussion about this on Darktable list.
It seems that it is slow, and requires a lot of memory, 300MB per 1Mp of image if I remember correctly, so may not be such a great breakthrough.
That's mentioned here as well: Google’s Free Encoder Drops JPEG Size By 35%, But Maybe There’s Something Better Already… | SLR Lounge But it's an added memory and time cost during the initial encoding process, so probably not a big deal in practical use on a modern desktop or laptop computer, especially if we're talking about prepping files for webpages. This cost might make implementation by an entity like facebook prohibitive though, unless they can offload the resizing to the person uploading.

It will be interesting to see if imaging programs end up adopting it smoothly, or if easy to use plugins start turning up. It's hard to beat free.
03-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Because it is just a JPG and fits within the standard, I'm sure it will be implemented without much else fanfare. At some point, we'll just find our jpgs are a bit smaller. It probably won't even get noticed that much.

The JPEG2000 thing I think flops like a lot of other things because it isn't exactly the same thing as a JPG and it creates frustration. I remember the first time I came across a JPEG2000 file; I couldn't believe that I couldn't open it with the software I had.

Audio kind of has the same thing. Mp3 is good enough for most people in the way JPG is good enough for most people. There are of course other formats including those that aren't lossy, so it's subjective on how much you can tell the difference and care enough to worry about it.

In photography, I've honestly never noted a difference between a JPG and Tiff file, but I'm conscious enough not to go repeatedly working on a JPG to find out. Thus, I always stick with a lossless format as a start, in images and audio. In audio, I can tell the difference on a good system, but on the go, in my car, or at work, I don't notice or even care if I'm listening to an Mp3 or worse.
03-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I've honestly never noted a difference between a JPG and Tiff file
In my experience there is a huge difference especially when it comes to latitude for editing.

03-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
In my experience there is a huge difference especially when it comes to latitude for editing.
I understand that.

I mean from a visual perspective. Take Tiff file and save it as a JPG (with reasonable settings). Do you see a difference?

Obviously the latitude for editing is the reason people work with Tiff and RAW files, but the end result is what it is.

People don't record or edit audio in mp3 format either. I think the same issues would show up.
03-22-2017, 04:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I mean from a visual perspective. Take Tiff file and save it as a JPG (with reasonable settings). Do you see a difference?
If there are fine gradients in the image a JPG with its 8 bit limitations can become posterized, 16 Bit tiff files do not have this issue.

But that is about it as far as visually discernible differences go.
04-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
For the same reason this encoder won't go anywhere. The old JPEG standard is "good enough" and has been the defacto standard for two decades...

JPEG 2000 is more complex and required more processing power. It isn't a big deal now, but 15 years ago it was (JPEG 2000 came out in 2001). It didn't help that storage kept getting bigger and cheaper. There may have been patent issues too. Not from the main partners in the spec, but from submarine patents.
Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread, but I wanted to comment. This new Google JPEG encoder is just that--an encoder. It produces bog standard JPEGs that any JPEG viewer can read, it just does a much better job encoding. And it is VERY VERY slow to encode. Like hours. However, if it's something your not sitting around waiting for, but a web site puts all their hires content together then batch processes it down to web size, it could be a positive thing by enabling better quality content or smaller page sizes. It is still an open question whether it will produce better quality, or specifically what type of images it will produce better quality on:

Guetzli vs MozJPEG: Google?s New JPEG Encoder Is SLOOOW!