Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Technology Gear Assistance (computer not camera)--Opinions Requested

OK I am specifically not asking about camera gear or software

But here's the deal and my initial thoughts/plans/ and ideas for my situation. But hopefully you guys can help me think through it. If you are a travel warrior you get bonus points and extra consideration.

I got a new job that will take me overseas to live. I will be living in the heart of Shanghai. I will also do a fair amount of travel (from there) as well. A lot of it will be within China for day trips or longer trips to farther places. Some places might even be more off the beaten path. India, Bangladesh, possibly Africa etc. SE Asia is a good possibility. Who knows where I will go for work or fun and odds are I will do some fun trips myself on the side.

I plan to upgrade my camera from a K3 to a K1 before I go. I will run a K1 with a 24-70 and the Amigos are my main go to kit. Later on I might buy that fast 50 and fast 85 that are WR or a fast wide prime but I will cross that road when I get to it. Generally I won't carry more than 3 or 4 lenses maximum. In a perfect world I would have 4 primes and 1 zoom and that's it. In some cases I might not even take the primes. K1 with a 24-70 and that's it. The more I think about it that could be a very good option that could solve a lot of problems on a case by case basis of course.

I have been honing that art of packing camera gear for a long time already. That said I am always open to more ideas. I have a pretty good battle tested idea though of what I want and will use or whatever on that front. Every bit of camera gear will fit in one bag. Last year I did an around the world trip to many countries and I learned a lot from that.

Here is the part I am thinking through and might need input on.

My work is providing for me a Microsoft Surface 4 for my day to day travel/work device. The downside to that is it only has one USB port but otherwise it should be fine. I can buy a multi port USB hub if needed.

My idea is that while I am on the road I can carry my Surface and camera gear and an external hard drive in my carry on. As I have a chance I can use the Surface to transfer the files from an SD card to a 1TB (or whatever) portable external hard drive. I can carry plenty of storage cards as well but the idea is to not have a zillion cards. 5 or 6 of them should be enough. I don't take a billion pictures. I go for quality over quantity. I am not a spray and pray kind of shooter.

My software will be a stand alone version of Lightroom which I plan to upgrade as well before I go. I will also buy a new laptop as well. The one I have now is old and plus it got dropped in the airport in Nairobi so it's kind of banged up.

Once I get settled into Shanghai I might also build or buy a decent stand alone desktop but that is iffy. MAYBE but maybe not. The desktop would be exclusively for processing photos but honestly I have always done it on my laptop and haven't had a problem. I am unsure if I would carry my laptop in addition to my surface on trips but it would be a nice option to have. I imagine it would be a case by case scenario. If I am going for a longer time probably yes if it's a shorter time probably no.

One thing is for certain. I will have that Surface with me pretty much 24-7. I will either find a hot spot or tether with my phone because I will be working remotely and given that is primarily for work related stuff.

In summary:

K1+24-70 is on the way soon. (before I move in summer if possible)
Need a new laptop
Need to upgrade to a newer version of Lightroom. Please do not suggest the idea of 'the cloud' or whatever that thing is they offer. I am not interested.

Since my laptop will be sheerly for personal use and a lot of that will be processing images I want something decent but not over priced. Not too heavy but size isn't as big of a deal just so long as it isn't a brick and will fit in the compartment of a camera bag or regular backpack. Odds are I will be laying around my apartment surfing the web, sending email, or going and sitting in a coffee shop just chillin out.

So yes, I very much would like the option if possible to carry two computers if I choose to do it. Not saying I will but just in case. I will also need to have a bag or series of bags to fit my needs of the day or trip(s). I have some ideas in my head about how this would work. Basically just stack them and be done with it.

For my laptop though I want it to have good computing power (which I know nothing about) and pretty good storage. I also want it to transfer files faster. I don't know the difference between a USB 2.0 and 3.0 but if every port on there is the fastest version that's better for me. Same with the hard drive that I pick.

The laptop will be for personal use and that's about it but a big portion of that will be processing photos.

Also please note: I do not use Apple. Sorry. No Apple anything here.

So basically I need help picking the laptop I need. If it's ultra lite thats fine, but it's not worth an extra 1000 bucks for ultra lite especially considering it will be banged around and used for email and surfing the web 90% of the time. But light enough and size and performance wise I am not exactly sure what to look for. My Surface Pro will be a 12.3 inch so I am assuming my laptop could be 13 or 14 inches? This is stuff to be discussed.

I don't mind the idea of a desktop setup either but for now let's focus on what things to look for in a laptop given my criteria and wants or needs.

03-17-2017, 09:41 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck with the new job, I hope you get to make the most of your time while there.

I'm sure the computer wizzes will be along sometime, until then I have some feedback for you.

• USB 3 is faster than USB 2, so if you can look for USB 3 ports to transfer to a USB 3 external hard drive it will be much quicker. this will be more relevant once you jump up to the larger K-1 files.
  • Most laptops come with an SD card slot, so look for this in the final spec, it will make downloading images simpler and faster.
  • If you're going to update to LR6, I believe it is still available as a stand-alone for purchase so you won't need to rely on LR CC.
  • As an alternative, you might consider On1 Photo RAW instead of Lightroom. You can do a 30 day free trial here: ON1, Inc. – Award Winning Photography Software and Plug-ins It's a good tool, is stand alone and similar in price to Lightroom.
  • If you are looking at primarily storing on an external hard drive you might be best off considering a laptop with a 256GB SSD instead of a normal hard drive. Just place the programs you need on the internal SSD and let your external hard drive(s) do the storage heavy lifting. This should keep the laptop size / weight down.
  • Preferably, look at an i7 or an i5 at least, no less than 8GB of RAM, and if you can afford 16GB of RAM I'd go with that.
  • Consider at least 2GB video RAM if possible as both LR6 and On1 Photo RAW leverage off the video card to speed up processing.
  • If you don't have one already and you're likely to be sharing files/images back home, cloud storage like Dropbox etc will enable you to share folders with others which should be simpler and easier to use than attachments in email. Dropbox also integrates well with cell phones too which makes transfers across platforms very simple.
Well that was a lot more waffling than I'd planned, but hopefully there's some useful notes in the above.

All the best mate, I hope you can share a few images with the forum whilst you're away.

Tas
03-17-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I spoke to a person who is somewhat more versed in computer lingo than me and here are some very pointed questions for feedback from you guys:

-Should I go with an SSD or a conventional Hard Drive or both? They suggested both which I don't quite understand. I am thinking at minimum 500GB would be sufficient considering I will be using external HD as backup and primary storage and I will do backup from time to time. I like those that do not use external power sources like the WD ultra passport types.

-500 GB is MINIMUM but 750 or 1TB might be preferred.

-I would like all 100% multiple 3.0 USB ports on my laptop, at least two or three. If there is anything faster out there tell me what it is.

-RAM? is 16GB enough or should I go for more? 32GB? I don't want to be scraping by but I don't want overkill either.

-I want a decent graphics/video card in there. What to look for I don't know. Again I would rather be a little bit more than a little bit less.

-size wise 13 or 14 inch and relatively thin would be good. I just want it to be able to fit in a backpack with the Surface without too much hassle. I am open to suggestions. An extra thousand bucks for ultra thin--probably not--but I don't want a brick either.

-What kind of processor should I look for and what difference will it make? I was told I-7 is the thing now but I don't know.

Now considering that Apple is not an option where can I see laptops that meet or exceed those requirements and roughly what would the price tag look like? I am not going to over pay but I am not really looking for bargain basement either.
03-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Good luck with the new job, I hope you get to make the most of your time while there.

I'm sure the computer wizzes will be along sometime, until then I have some feedback for you.

• USB 3 is faster than USB 2, so if you can look for USB 3 ports to transfer to a USB 3 external hard drive it will be much quicker. this will be more relevant once you jump up to the larger K-1 files.
  • Most laptops come with an SD card slot, so look for this in the final spec, it will make downloading images simpler and faster.
  • If you're going to update to LR6, I believe it is still available as a stand-alone for purchase so you won't need to rely on LR CC.
  • As an alternative, you might consider On1 Photo RAW instead of Lightroom. You can do a 30 day free trial here: ON1, Inc. – Award Winning Photography Software and Plug-ins It's a good tool, is stand alone and similar in price to Lightroom.
  • If you are looking at primarily storing on an external hard drive you might be best off considering a laptop with a 256GB SSD instead of a normal hard drive. Just place the programs you need on the internal SSD and let your external hard drive(s) do the storage heavy lifting. This should keep the laptop size / weight down.
  • Preferably, look at an i7 or an i5 at least, no less than 8GB of RAM, and if you can afford 16GB of RAM I'd go with that.
  • Consider at least 2GB video RAM if possible as both LR6 and On1 Photo RAW leverage off the video card to speed up processing.
  • If you don't have one already and you're likely to be sharing files/images back home, cloud storage like Dropbox etc will enable you to share folders with others which should be simpler and easier to use than attachments in email. Dropbox also integrates well with cell phones too which makes transfers across platforms very simple.
Well that was a lot more waffling than I'd planned, but hopefully there's some useful notes in the above.

All the best mate, I hope you can share a few images with the forum whilst you're away.

Tas
Excellent!! Thank you.

-I forgot to mention in my original post that I want USB 3.0 all around in my system. Dragging around waiting on files is a pain.

-On the SD card slot-- YES! YES! and YES! Add this to my list of requirements. My current computer has it and I love not having to carry around an adapter. That said I finally figured out after all these years that I can plug my camera directly into the laptop and transfer files without ever removing the card(s).
Still a card slot is definitely a good addition.

-On the software if I cannot get LR as a stand alone I will abandon Adobe all around. I will not now, nor ever, nor in the future go with the cloud thing. Not an option. I don't care what Abobe thinks or how they feel. They will lose a loyal customer forever if I can't get it stand alone. I object on moral grounds as well as technical ones. If I am out in Bangladesh somewhere I don't want to screw around on some connection to the cloud. My software will be on my computer period and there will not be any compromises even if I have to learn a new system.

-On the hard drive I am open to ideas. I hear solid state is good but other people say traditional is good too. It's a nerd debate that I don't understand entirely.

-On the processor I7 seems like the way to go. Better a little more than less but I will check the final price tag for what I am looking for.

Obviously I am open to ideas otherwise I wouldn't be asking. Since I will be using external storage the amount of on board storage is negotiable.

03-17-2017, 10:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you. I will open our company's new office there. I will be there probably at least 3 or 4 years. I have lived in China and parts of Asia several times so no big deal.

That said I will come back and forth to the states from time to time. It's built into my employment package to spend so much time back in the US every year etc etc. I could very well also take a jaunt down under as well. I love NZ and Australia. Literally like home to me. Lived in Sydney for 3 years.

Since I am a remote employee I can work from anywhere with a internet connection but that said my primary responsibilities will mostly be in Asia so I might not be able to venture off too too far. But spending a week in Thailand or in Palawan is definitely an option.
03-17-2017, 10:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
FYI I just got on the customer service chat line with an Adobe rep and they said I can buy Lightroom as a stand alone product. This is a good thing.

PS they even said I can upgrade from my current version to the latest version for $79 bucks. Not bad.

Last edited by alamo5000; 03-17-2017 at 11:01 PM.
03-18-2017, 12:09 AM   #7
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Excellent!! Thank you.

-I forgot to mention in my original post that I want USB 3.0 all around in my system. Dragging around waiting on files is a pain.

-On the SD card slot-- YES! YES! and YES! Add this to my list of requirements. My current computer has it and I love not having to carry around an adapter. That said I finally figured out after all these years that I can plug my camera directly into the laptop and transfer files without ever removing the card(s).
Still a card slot is definitely a good addition.

-On the software if I cannot get LR as a stand alone I will abandon Adobe all around. I will not now, nor ever, nor in the future go with the cloud thing. Not an option. I don't care what Abobe thinks or how they feel. They will lose a loyal customer forever if I can't get it stand alone. I object on moral grounds as well as technical ones. If I am out in Bangladesh somewhere I don't want to screw around on some connection to the cloud. My software will be on my computer period and there will not be any compromises even if I have to learn a new system.

-On the hard drive I am open to ideas. I hear solid state is good but other people say traditional is good too. It's a nerd debate that I don't understand entirely.

-On the processor I7 seems like the way to go. Better a little more than less but I will check the final price tag for what I am looking for.

Obviously I am open to ideas otherwise I wouldn't be asking. Since I will be using external storage the amount of on board storage is negotiable.
Can I suggest you look around at some sites like B&H and Adorama for the computer systems they provide? This should give you a good idea of what options are out there in one site and what the costs are. Also have a look for outlets that can build a laptop to your preferences, I think Dell do this as well as HP and this again is a good way of comparing the price impact of various spec changes.

In looking for an example I looked up HP as I've had no real issues with their units for my last two laptops. They have a big range of options to browse so I thought it useful to look at one of their i7 offerings which is something you can 'buy off the shelf'. Here's an example of one that might fit the bill nicely: OMEN Laptop - 17t gaming Best Value | HP® Official Store I'm not saying this is what you should get but it has some of the specs I'd recommend considering.

Looking at the specs:

• It comes with Windows 10 64 Bit installed. Whatever OS you opt for please note that you're better off aiming for 64 Bit. This will allow the CPU to handle larger amounts of info over a 32 Bit system.
  • Here's an article explaining the difference between i3, i5 and i7 systems: What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7? - PC World Australia as suggested go with an i7 system if speed is a priority.
  • This particular example uses a dedicated graphics card, some will be integrated. The dedicated graphics card will, as mentioned give you a boost when using LR6/On1 Photo RAW.
  • This display is 4K and higher resolution than the 27" screens for my desktop. If you can go with this type of resolution (or even 2560 x 1440) it will give you more detail when processing images over a HD 1950 x 1080 screen. Note that the screen size is 17" therefore the more compact 14" & 15" screens will give you a smaller, lighter and cheaper laptop.
  • The example has 16GB of DDR4 RAM (RAM also comes in DDR/DDR2 & DDR3, but DDR4 is faster and uses less power however it isn't that simple: Four big differences between DDR3 and DDR4 RAM | Windows Central ) Whether you end up with DDR3 or DDR4 isn't the big issue it's the total RAM and the system combined but 16GB is above the minimum spec for LR6 etc. Accordingly, with that amount of RAM you're not likely to need more for processing with a dedicated graphics card to assist as well. Not sure of the price difference between this and 32GB, so consider the real potential speed difference if the 32GB is much pricier.
  • So, looking at this unit's example you see there is an imstalled 2TB HDD running at 5400 rpm. Fairly typical speed for a laptop however your mate was talking about a combination type to improve speed and this one has a 128GB SSD for this. There is a separate 512GB SSD that would be for running the OS and programs. Your mate can tell you more about this stuff by the sounds of things, I am very much a layman beyond the basics sorry. Please note, a HDD will add size and weight, hence my earlier suggestion to consider a unit with only an SSD if you're planning on carrying external HDD anyway. Having said this an internal HDD is likely to be quicker than an external one.
  • SSD is faster, you will get more capacity in HDD, I have an SSD for my OS and programs in my desktop and HDD drive for storage. Beyond that I will leave it to the experts.
  • Do you think you will want to connect the laptop to an external screen? This would be handy for movies or even a dedicated computer screen. If so a HDMI port is the most likely solution to include in the ports. There's probably not too many laptops without HDMI these days actually.
  • Having mentioned movies this might imply needing a disc drive. This adds to the depth of the laptop so if you don't need one you can always consider an external one plugged in if it's something you would only use occassionally.
I agree with your sentiment about not buying into the CC licence, however you can travel with the CC subscription as the program is loaded on your computer. The benefit of the CC subscription of course is it can also give you Photoshop. The CC subscription used to need a monthly connection to the internet to verify the licence, and would be the only stipulation to adhere to unless this has changed. If you can't connect to the internet I believe the software still works but I don't have CC so will leave that to others to fill in the details. Again you can buy LR6 and it's yours, no monthly connection required, and again I recommend throwing a leg over On1 Photo RAW and taking that for a ride (Yeehaa!).

The job sounds like a good gig, any local travel is icing on the cake, but it's cheaper to fly to HK, Singapore, Japan etc from Shanghai than the US so if you can then that's cool. And I'm jealous.

Tas

03-18-2017, 12:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
[*]It comes with Windows 10 64 Bit installed. Whatever OS you opt for please note that you're better off aiming for 64 Bit. This will allow the CPU to handle larger amounts of info over a 32 Bit system.
I don't speak geek. If a 64 bit is better then add that to the list I don't know what is the difference between 32 and 64 in practical terms.

And yes a dedicated graphics card would be nice.

Do you think you will want to connect the laptop to an external screen? This would be handy for movies or even a dedicated computer screen. If so a HDMI port is the most likely solution to include in the ports. There's probably not too many laptops without HDMI these days actually.
Having mentioned movies this might imply needing a disc drive. This adds to the depth of the laptop so if you don't need one you can always consider an external one plugged in if it's something you would only use occassionally.

If I connect to an external screen it will be only for processing photos. Never really considered it but it could be an option considering I will be using a relatively small laptop.

I doubt I would want or need a disc drive. Maybe but the one in my current laptop has gotten used about twice in several years.

Last edited by alamo5000; 03-18-2017 at 12:19 AM.
03-18-2017, 12:32 AM   #9
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't speak geek. If a 64 bit is better then add that to the list I don't know what is the difference between 32 and 64 in practical terms.

And yes a dedicated graphics card would be nice.
A quote from Microsoft: "The terms 32-bit and 64-bit refer to the way a computer's processor (also called a CPU), handles information. The 64-bit version of Windows handles large amounts of random access memory (RAM) more effectively than a 32-bit system. If you want to run more than 4GB of RAM you need a 64GB capable CPU. This table shows what is capable in each system:

How much RAM does each edition of Windows 10 support?

Windows 10 Home 32 bit - 4 GBs
Windows 10 Home 64 bit - 128 GBs

Windows 10 Pro 32 bit - 4 GBs
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 512 GBs

Windows 10 Enterprise/Education 32 bit - 4 GBs
Windows 10 Enterprise/Education 64 bit - 512 GBs

Tas
03-18-2017, 12:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Add 64 bit operating system to the list.

Home should be fine I'm guessing.
03-18-2017, 06:13 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

64bit
SSD (some laptops have ssd plus conventional which allows the frequently used files to be on ssd but gives more storage space. )
An IPS type screen is a must if you plan on doing the processing on your laptop.
Removable battery - this is no longer a given. Insist on it. Buy a spare.

As for adobe. Cloud is misleading. The software runs entirely on your PC. The only cloud parts are things you don't have to use and the installation method. The computer would need periodic access every few months to validate the license as far as I know. Patches and updated software are available as soon as they are released. As mentioned the photo version included Photoshop.
Another non-Adobe option is the DXO Optics suite.

Consider an external monitor keyboard and docking station.

The MS surface is very good. You may not need another laptop if your company allows you to leverage the device as you wish.

As someone else mentioned using external storage to host your files makes sense given the ssd costs. I recommend having more than one external drive perhaps as many as three or four. Two could be in a raid 0 cabinet for redundancy to be kept at home base. Two could be used in the field - alternatively carry many sd cards and do not erase until you dump them to the raid storage. Even then you might also look towards mailing some back to a friend or placing files on cloud storage in case the home base is ever damaged or robbed.
03-18-2017, 08:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Video Cards:

I am poking around and I see choices. NVIDIA and AMD or integrated.

Which is better?

I very well might have somebody make me a laptop to order but I don't know yet.

I will definitely be on the lookout for that IPS type screen as well.
03-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
How about a current-generation thin-and-light laptop and an external graphics card?

In summary:

K1+24-70 is on the way soon. (before I move in summer if possible)
Need a new laptop
Need to upgrade to a newer version of Lightroom. Please do not suggest the idea of 'the cloud' or whatever that thing is they offer. I am not interested.

Since my laptop will be sheerly for personal use and a lot of that will be processing images I want something decent but not over priced. Not too heavy but size isn't as big of a deal just so long as it isn't a brick and will fit in the compartment of a camera bag or regular backpack. Odds are I will be laying around my apartment surfing the web, sending email, or going and sitting in a coffee shop just chillin out.

So yes, I very much would like the option if possible to carry two computers if I choose to do it. Not saying I will but just in case. I will also need to have a bag or series of bags to fit my needs of the day or trip(s). I have some ideas in my head about how this would work. Basically just stack them and be done with it.

For my laptop though I want it to have good computing power (which I know nothing about) and pretty good storage. I also want it to transfer files faster. I don't know the difference between a USB 2.0 and 3.0 but if every port on there is the fastest version that's better for me. Same with the hard drive that I pick.

The laptop will be for personal use and that's about it but a big portion of that will be processing photos.

Also please note: I do not use Apple. Sorry. No Apple anything here.

So basically I need help picking the laptop I need. If it's ultra lite thats fine, but it's not worth an extra 1000 bucks for ultra lite especially considering it will be banged around and used for email and surfing the web 90% of the time. But light enough and size and performance wise I am not exactly sure what to look for. My Surface Pro will be a 12.3 inch so I am assuming my laptop could be 13 or 14 inches? This is stuff to be discussed.

I don't mind the idea of a desktop setup either but for now let's focus on what things to look for in a laptop given my criteria and wants or needs.
Your first choice is driven by the software you will use to process your RAW files. Processing of images comes in three schemes, CUDA, OpenCL, and Neither. What scheme is supported by the software you will use? That may determine which form of graphics your laptop provides.

CUDA processing is llimited to NVidia graphics. OpenCL processing is supported by AMD, and with less enthusiasm by Nvidia; Intel supports OpenCL. "Neither" relies solely on the CPU.

The fastest processing comes with "discrete graphics" - a graphics processor that is not built in to the computer's CPU, using a graphics chip. A computer that lacks discrete graphics has to use the power of the CPU for processing images, and the greater the number of CPU "cores" it has, the better its speed will be. Intel supports OpenCL, falling back on their CPU's for processing, since their on-CPU graphics can't match the performance of NVidia's or AMD's. You'll find that discrete graphcs from NVidia or AMD can outperform the OpenCL on the Intel CPU or the "Neither" scheme.

In recent years, discrete graphics has been limited to special-purpose laptops designed for gamers and to "engineering workstation" laptops. These tend to use high-end parts, to be better-built than consumer-grade hardware built to sell cheaply at the local big-box store. They also tend to be bigger and heavier - harder to fit in an airliner, harder to carry. Laptops available in the past year offer you a new option: buy one that supports a "Thunderbolt 3" port, and you can put a graphics card in an external card cage for use when you're at home, relying on the laptop's built-in hardware while you're on the road; your travels would require only a thin-and-light laptop.

The Surface 4 does not support Thunderbolt 3. Though you don't want a Mac, consider the thin-and-light profile of the high-end of the line of the late-2016-model MacBook Pro as an example of high-performance hardware that is capable of this. Buy laptop with Windows 10 Professional and Thunderbolt 3, and you should have this option.

---------- Post added 03-18-17 at 09:30 AM ----------

OK I am specifically not asking about camera gear or software

I got a new job that will take me overseas to live. I will be living in the heart of Shanghai. I will also do a fair amount of travel (from there) as well. A lot of it will be within China for day trips or longer trips to farther places. Some places might even be more off the beaten path. India, Bangladesh, possibly Africa etc. SE Asia is a good possibility. Who knows where I will go for work or fun and odds are I will do some fun trips myself on the side.
Buy the laptop direct from the manufacturer, with the best warranty the manufacturer offers, and check ahead of time that the on-site service will follow you as you travel from country to country. Dell offers that for their business-grade laptops under the name "ProSupport Plus". I know that HP offers similar support on competing laptops bought in the United States, though I have not checked whether the warranty applies outside the U-S-of-A.
03-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SnapperDaddy Quote
Your first choice is driven by the software you will use to process your RAW files. Processing of images comes in three schemes, CUDA, OpenCL, and Neither. What scheme is supported by the software you will use? That may determine which form of graphics your laptop provides.

CUDA processing is llimited to NVidia graphics. OpenCL processing is supported by AMD, and with less enthusiasm by Nvidia; Intel supports OpenCL. "Neither" relies solely on the CPU.

The fastest processing comes with "discrete graphics" - a graphics processor that is not built in to the computer's CPU, using a graphics chip. A computer that lacks discrete graphics has to use the power of the CPU for processing images, and the greater the number of CPU "cores" it has, the better its speed will be. Intel supports OpenCL, falling back on their CPU's for processing, since their on-CPU graphics can't match the performance of NVidia's or AMD's. You'll find that discrete graphcs from NVidia or AMD can outperform the OpenCL on the Intel CPU or the "Neither" scheme.

In recent years, discrete graphics has been limited to special-purpose laptops designed for gamers and to "engineering workstation" laptops. These tend to use high-end parts, to be better-built than consumer-grade hardware built to sell cheaply at the local big-box store. They also tend to be bigger and heavier - harder to fit in an airliner, harder to carry. Laptops available in the past year offer you a new option: buy one that supports a "Thunderbolt 3" port, and you can put a graphics card in an external card cage for use when you're at home, relying on the laptop's built-in hardware while you're on the road; your travels would require only a thin-and-light laptop.

The Surface 4 does not support Thunderbolt 3. Though you don't want a Mac, consider the thin-and-light profile of the high-end of the line of the late-2016-model MacBook Pro as an example of high-performance hardware that is capable of this. Buy laptop with Windows 10 Professional and Thunderbolt 3, and you should have this option.
I am going to be using Lightroom and RAW files on a windows based system. Keeping in mind that I am not a professional nor do I do gaming I want something 'good enough' that will still fit my other requirements of size and not requiring me to sell a kidney to get it. Knowing those bits of information what would be my best bet for graphics cards considering those other things?
03-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Also while I am not a dummy... I am pretty much a real big dummy when it comes to some of this stuff

Big words... I see big words... LOL

You guys may have to tame down the lingo a little bit. Even though I'm not old pretend for a minute that I am like 75 years old and you're trying to explain it to me LOL!!