Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2017, 08:38 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I guess if someone is determined to bomb the airplane, it's still simple to use transit flight by other carrier from Europe. Like 9/11 pilots were trained here, in Florida.
Arthur C Clarke rendered it (in the 2001 literary universe) as "We can design a system that's proof against accident, but we can't design one that's proof against deliberate malice."

In the case of 9/11, defence against bombs seems to have become so sophisticated that the only solution was to capture the entire aircraft and turn that into a bomb.

The whole issue of massively subsidised state carriers running competition against private corporations would be another interesting discussion, but it also opens up loopholes for unfriendly and unpleasant acts when the state in question is riddled with unfriendly and unpleasant people (or openly composed of them).

03-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Location: Out in the sticks,Suffolk,UK(or SE Asia,if I'm lucky!)
Photos: Gallery
As events in Berlin and Nice showed a determined and ruthless terrorist doesn't need access to sophisticated equipment to wreak carnage.The authorities just have to try to stay one step ahead of them in plugging possible gaps in our defences.
03-27-2017, 08:07 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And indeed in London on Wednesday. A car and a knife can do a fair amount of damage and an act like that is practically impossible to prevent.

But to put it in perspective, on average more Americans are killed by toddlers with handguns than by terrorists, but nobody considers banning either handguns or toddlers. More people are killed in car accidents by many orders of magnitude...and if a small percentage of the trillion dollars that is spent on counter-terrorism was spent on road safety, the number of lives saved would be far higher. In the end, dying in a terrorist incident is a vanishingly small likelihood in the grand scheme of things, and pretty much the entire point of terrorism is to force the targets to change their way of life, so I think it better to be careful, but just get on with enjoying life.
03-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
And indeed in London on Wednesday. A car and a knife can do a fair amount of damage and an act like that is practically impossible to prevent.

But to put it in perspective, on average more Americans are killed by toddlers with handguns than by terrorists, but nobody considers banning either handguns or toddlers. More people are killed in car accidents by many orders of magnitude...and if a small percentage of the trillion dollars that is spent on counter-terrorism was spent on road safety, the number of lives saved would be far higher. In the end, dying in a terrorist incident is a vanishingly small likelihood in the grand scheme of things, and pretty much the entire point of terrorism is to force the targets to change their way of life, so I think it better to be careful, but just get on with enjoying life.
Agree with this 100%,I had to pull my mother up short when she said she wouldn't be visiting London any time soon as it was "far too dangerous",I told her if she followed that thinking through to its logical conclusion she wouldn't even leave the house,and then she probably wouldn't live any longer,it would just seem like it.

03-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #20
Pentaxian

It seems our thinking has become truly perverted in some sense (meaning twisted or weird). Here's what I mean: Over the weekend, there was a shooting in the US in a bar. One dead. Fifteen wounded. "Was it a terrorist?" cried all the tv news. A few hours later, "Police say this is not terrorist-related."

What's the meaning here? If it was "terrorist-related" we'd all be in fear of terrorists (which is exactly their goal). If it isn't terrorist-related, we can go on about our business. It was "only" 1 dead and 15 wounded. It was a regular shooting, so no worries? Good grief....
03-27-2017, 09:13 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem is where the terrorists are coming from and what their ultimate goal is, and the fact that terrorism is systematic... but to go any further would be political, and in my current nation of residence is now practically illegal.
03-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #22
Pentaxian

The killer in the London incident last week is now shown to have no known links to Al Qaeda or IS,was not radicalised in prison.So was he a terrorist or just a random evil nutter?
03-27-2017, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
The killer in the London incident last week is now shown to have no known links to Al Qaeda or IS,was not radicalised in prison.So was he a terrorist or just a random evil nutter?
It seems to me that calling them "terrorists" is aiding their cause of inspiring terror.
Maybe we should call them "evil nutter" or "deranged attacker" on the evening news and not even raise the specter of "terror."

By choosing terror, they've already admitted they are so weak that they cannot force change. So they want to inspire citizens to demand change through fear. But I can't think of many campaigns of terror which have actually succeeded in the long term. Just deny them the tools they wish to use -- the words which inspire fear -- and use words which invite disdain?

03-27-2017, 09:32 AM   #24
Pentaxian

.So was he a terrorist or just a random evil nutter?
Is there a difference? A 'true' terrorist is only an evil nutter with some idea that their actions further some cause or ideology. Just thinking that it will do so is somewhat deranged, thinking that taking innocent lives for your own political aims is acceptable is another level of psychopathy.

All it takes now, is for someone to read a website with material that disagrees with the political status quo, and then to commit murder, to be defined as a terrorist. No formal affiliation, organisation, or direction is necessary. Of course, if their cause were to be aligned with the current political status-quo, they would be called 'resistance fighters' or 'freedom fighters'. To a non-partisan they would be known as 'dissidents'. It's only the side you are on that decides the term used.
03-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Regardless of formal affiliation, I think you will find a common underlying theme to most of these attacks, and there is no need to mention or discuss what it is.
03-27-2017, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As much as I'd like to have a discussion about terrorism and what drives terrorists, this is not the place for it. Can we please stick with the topic, namely flying with cameras / other battery containing equipment to certain destinations from certain departure points.
03-27-2017, 02:50 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Well indeed and, entirely on-topic, I just flew back from Spain to UK (who have also announced a similar ban) with hand baggage only and my K-3II and spare batteries and lenses inside.... Not a second look from security. So it seems that cameras are no problem unless you come from specific countries.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-27-2017 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Religious commentary removed.
03-27-2017, 10:38 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Well indeed and, entirely on-topic, I just flew back from Spain to UK (who have also announced a similar ban) with hand baggage only and my K-3II and spare batteries and lenses inside.... Not a second look from security. So it seems that cameras are no problem unless you come from specific countries.
Correct. It is not a general ban but a ban on certain airlines flying from certain airports.