Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Wow! I hate that for you. I felt horrible when I bricked my *istDL in a botched firmware upgrade about 10 days after getting it. And I spent probably a tenth what you did on your K1 rig. Fortunately, I had bought an extended warranty, which covered the purchase price. So even though I was out the initial shipping and the cost to mail the dead camera body off to SquareTrade, plus the cost of the insurance (about $50 total), I came out relatively unscathed, especially considering I got to keep the lens, which I still have. Glad you're safe and hope you can get back in the proverbial saddle quickly. Maybe pick up a (relatively) cheap used camera and lens to see you through until you can afford another K1.

03-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's a very sad story.

If you bought with a credit card, you might check with them. Sometimes they will give a bit of coverage for accidental loss. Probably not the whole thing, but it could help./
03-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you purchased the equipment with a credit card it may be covered for the first 90 days by "purchase protection" which covers loss from theft or accident. Natural disasters such as earthquakes may not be covered though.
I would look into this if you haven't. My sister's cat knocked her laptop off her lap and it fell on the floor and the motherboard was destroyed. She filed a claim with her credit card and 4 weeks later had a check for $700...(it was not a mac)

Blew my mind, but it worked.
03-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The incident took place five days after the insurance cover started, surely?

03-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robalabob Quote
Hello everyone and goodbye for a little while.

I've only just joined this site after finally getting my hands on my first DSLR (and first camera as a matter of fact), the Pentax K-1 with a 15-30mm lens. I saved up all year by selling prints from my 14mp sony bridge I borrowed from a family member and as soon as I started using the Pentax knew I had made the right decision.

However after less than 3 weeks since acquiring my dream camera it is gone. I was taken out by a rouge wave and the camera and lens got submerged. I got the news from the camera shop today that the camera is beyond economical repair and the lens will need to be shipped off to Europe for an estimate/repair.

Where was your insurance you ask? Well I thought I had it, I honestly did, I set it up and everything was confirmed, the rouge wave hit me and the very next day I got a letter through the post saying that the insurance was set up and will be active as of 2 days later. I feel like a right doughnut for missing this point and honestly thought I had confirmed with them that the insurance was now set...but we live and learn. I will be saving up for a new K-1 and lens as in my short time using it I fell in love with how it worked and the pictures it helped produce.

I will see you all soon, enjoy your photography and for the love of god look after your cameras.

Rob
That's really sad news Rob. Any chance you have purchased it with your credit card and have automatic cover that way?
03-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, a terrible tale of woe, hope some good news comes your way shortly.
03-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello everyone and goodbye for a little while.

I've only just joined this site after finally getting my hands on my first DSLR (and first camera as a matter of fact), the Pentax K-1 with a 15-30mm lens. I saved up all year by selling prints from my 14mp sony bridge I borrowed from a family member and as soon as I started using the Pentax knew I had made the right decision.

However after less than 3 weeks since acquiring my dream camera it is gone. I was taken out by a rouge wave and the camera and lens got submerged. I got the news from the camera shop today that the camera is beyond economical repair and the lens will need to be shipped off to Europe for an estimate/repair.

Where was your insurance you ask? Well I thought I had it, I honestly did, I set it up and everything was confirmed, the rouge wave hit me and the very next day I got a letter through the post saying that the insurance was set up and will be active as of 2 days later. I feel like a right doughnut for missing this point and honestly thought I had confirmed with them that the insurance was now set...but we live and learn. I will be saving up for a new K-1 and lens as in my short time using it I fell in love with how it worked and the pictures it helped produce.

I will see you all soon, enjoy your photography and for the love of god look after your cameras.

Rob
I am so sorry for your loss.
Hope it will not be too long before you return.

03-22-2017, 12:55 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was just wondering if Photopia had told you what the problem was in detail - was it an ingress of water, and, if so, where? - I'd be interested to know if there was a specific weak point in the weather sealing (yes, I do know it's not immersion sealing, but there are plenty of videos of the camera being held under running water) - though obviously salt water is much worse than fresh in any circumstances
03-22-2017, 01:20 AM   #24
Veteran Member

This is a heartbreaking news. very sorry to know that

I got a letter through the post saying that the insurance was set up and will be active as of 2 days later...
This is also a very strange insurance policy to me. Hope you triple check on this.
03-23-2017, 04:09 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
This is a heartbreaking news. very sorry to know that

This is also a very strange insurance policy to me. Hope you triple check on this.
It's all checked up on and set sadly.
03-23-2017, 05:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I was taken out by a rouge wave and the camera and lens got submerged.
Those red waves are mongrels, you have to keep an eye on them all the time!

Sorry to hear about your loss. If I was in the same situation, I'd be devastated.

I'm surprised the weather sealing didn't work and that a rinse under fresh water didn't clear off the salt.

I hope you can sort something with insurance.