Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2017, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So long, see you again soon

Hello everyone and goodbye for a little while.

I've only just joined this site after finally getting my hands on my first DSLR (and first camera as a matter of fact), the Pentax K-1 with a 15-30mm lens. I saved up all year by selling prints from my 14mp sony bridge I borrowed from a family member and as soon as I started using the Pentax knew I had made the right decision.

However after less than 3 weeks since acquiring my dream camera it is gone. I was taken out by a rouge wave and the camera and lens got submerged. I got the news from the camera shop today that the camera is beyond economical repair and the lens will need to be shipped off to Europe for an estimate/repair.

Where was your insurance you ask? Well I thought I had it, I honestly did, I set it up and everything was confirmed, the rouge wave hit me and the very next day I got a letter through the post saying that the insurance was set up and will be active as of 2 days later. I feel like a right doughnut for missing this point and honestly thought I had confirmed with them that the insurance was now set...but we live and learn. I will be saving up for a new K-1 and lens as in my short time using it I fell in love with how it worked and the pictures it helped produce.

I will see you all soon, enjoy your photography and for the love of god look after your cameras.

Rob

03-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Sorry for the loss.

You may want to consider taking your camera a little less close to risky situations in future!
03-21-2017, 07:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's really rough iI know how I'd feel if my K-1 was written off - not good! I'm actually surprised that a quick immersion was enough to finish it, but I wasn't there, so what do I know. I wish you luck with your sales or whatever it takes to get up and running again - you made a good choice, at least.

Have you incidentally tried the official Pentax repair place, Johnson's Photopia?
03-21-2017, 07:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch, that really hurts.

03-21-2017, 07:32 AM   #5

Ugh that's horrible sorry for your lost. When I'm out hiking on the weekends I worry about tripping on a root and landing on my k-1 and 24-70mm. Scary thought.
03-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Did they already take the money out of your account prior to the incident? if so I don't know about where you live but in the USA that is considered a binder for which the insuring company is obligated to pay.
03-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Sorry for the loss.

You may want to consider taking your camera a little less close to risky situations in future!
Apparently a common thing in Iceland these rogue waves. We were standing there with the waves just lapping the bottom of the tripod for 15 minutes happily taking photos, next minute myself and a bunch of cameramen around were almost waist deep in water, I wasn't lucky enough to have my camera to hand when it hit like the others

03-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Did they already take the money out of your account prior to the incident?
I would agree with this. If money changed hands the insurance should be in effect. In fact, in most cases with insurance here in the USA just signing the contract means the insurance is "in effect". There is usually a clause that states you are covered from the time you sign but it will be canceled if payment is not made by a certain time.

Sorry for your loss, I know that would make me feel horrible even if it was covered by insurance.

Just curious but what lens was mounted?
03-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
That's really rough iI know how I'd feel if my K-1 was written off - not good! I'm actually surprised that a quick immersion was enough to finish it, but I wasn't there, so what do I know. I wish you luck with your sales or whatever it takes to get up and running again - you made a good choice, at least.

Have you incidentally tried the official Pentax repair place, Johnson's Photopia?
Yeah I tried johnsons, that's who its gone to. Yeah I was quite surprised if I'm honest, it was submerged for a second if not less as I saw it happening and reacted quickly. I thought the weatherproofing would have done a little something.

Cheers mate. Won't be too long hopefully
03-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robalabob Quote
the waves just lapping the bottom of the tripod
You are a braver man than I, taking your brand new and expensive DSLR into that situation!

I thought the weatherproofing would have done a little something.
My call has always been that it MAY save your camera from submergence if removed immediately - i.e. it would give you a fighting chance that a non WR system might not - but it's not specifically designed to survive it and you are lucky if it does.

Evidently the odds were not in your favour on that day.
03-21-2017, 08:03 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That is an incredibly sad story. At least you are safe. Serious injury or drowning due to sneaker/rogue waves are not unusual on our coasts in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. As mentioned above, the acceptance of funds binds the contract here in the U.S. and probably should in GB as well. I believe that provision was passed to us as common law.

Steve
03-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #12

If you purchased the equipment with a credit card it may be covered for the first 90 days by "purchase protection" which covers loss from theft or accident. Natural disasters such as earthquakes may not be covered though.
03-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BullsOnParade81 Quote
Ugh that's horrible sorry for your lost. When I'm out hiking on the weekends I worry about tripping on a root and landing on my k-1 and 24-70mm. Scary thought.
It was horrific, right out of a horror movie lol
03-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #14

It was horrific, right out of a horror movie lol
I bet it was horrible. I imagine it was like slow motion as it was falling.
03-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is an incredibly sad story. At least you are safe. Serious injury or drowning due to sneaker/rogue waves are not unusual on our coasts in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. As mentioned above, the acceptance of funds binds the contract here in the U.S. and probably should in GB as well. I believe that provision was passed to us as common law.

Steve
True, It was a little scary at the time. More so becuase of the huge chunks of glacier swilling around us. My missus is only 5ft as well so she nearly had to swim out the way lol