Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Possible next sensor for Pentax?

There is a thread around here that speculates what would be the next apc Pentax model. Having read that Sony has lowered sensor production due to low dslr sales, I read another one that seems promising and its about a Pentax buddy..

Image Sensors World: Samsung Mobile Processor Supports 4K 120fps Video, 28MP Cameras

It may be for smartphones, but specs look impressive, would be nice on a future K3IIs...

03-21-2017, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
I don't think we will see a new FF sensor from sony for awhile.

For APS-C they might make a newer 24mp sensor but i doubt we will see a higher mp aps-c likely due to FF market starting at 24mp and cost/efficiency values.

Let's hope that we get 4K @30fps by K3-iii with a decent codec and may be 1080p 100 fps with minimal cropping
03-21-2017, 07:51 AM - 2 Likes   #3

samsung's 28mp aps-c sized bsi sensor of the nx-1 would be great for the next k3.ü
03-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
I don't think we will see a new FF sensor from sony for awhile.

For APS-C they might make a newer 24mp sensor but i doubt we will see a higher mp aps-c likely due to FF market starting at 24mp and cost/efficiency values.

Let's hope that we get 4K @30fps by K3-iii with a decent codec and may be 1080p 100 fps with minimal cropping
Weren't there rumors about new super high res FF sensor from them? Sony A7R III Coming with 70-80 MP Sensor and more... « NEW CAMERA

03-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Weren't there rumors about new super high res FF sensor from them? Sony A7R III Coming with 70-80 MP Sensor and more... « NEW CAMERA
Probably Sony wants to keep the best for themselves..Lowering production raises price, and its very possible that camera manuf. might be searching for other sources, Samsung could fill the void..
Honestly, Samsung does make great sensors, I love my Note 4..I dont know why not to use an Exynos on a DSLR, would have even LTE..sure would be nice to data send pics where wifi is not possible..
03-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
There is a thread around here that speculates what would be the next apc Pentax model. Having read that Sony has lowered sensor production due to low dslr sales, I read another one that seems promising and its about a Pentax buddy..

Image Sensors World: Samsung Mobile Processor Supports 4K 120fps Video, 28MP Cameras

It may be for smartphones, but specs look impressive, would be nice on a future K3IIs...
Uhh, that's not a sensor - that's a processor. Completely different piece of hardware. The sensor turns light into a digital datastream; the image processor takes what comes from the sensor and turns it into JPEGS or MPEGS or what have you and writes them to output devices (while also running all the bells and whistles). Samsung MILCs had an image processor that was based on this mobile processor, the Exynos. It has some impressive specs, but switching processors from the Fujitsu/SocioNext Milbeaut family would not be a minor undertaking. Pentax would have to start over from scratch with a completely different architecture. This might be a good thing if they want to catch up in video, but it would take a lot of time and money.
03-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote

They recently stated "again" that Sony won't outsource it's best selling sensors both in camera segments and smartphone as well.

It has been quite a while that they announced 12mp FF and 42mm FF, as well as "enchanted" a6500 sensor but none of them, are being sold to other companies. Maybe by 2019 they will sell current gen. sensors but anything newer/better/upgraded will have to wait longer than 5 years to come at Pentax

Edit: As far as i am aware Samsung isn't outsourcing its aps-c sensors and production had been halted for a while

03-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anybody know what sensor the KP has?
03-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Does anybody know what sensor the KP has?

Likely a 24mp Sony.
03-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
They recently stated "again" that Sony won't outsource it's best selling sensors both in camera segments and smartphone as well.

It has been quite a while that they announced 12mp FF and 42mm FF, as well as "enchanted" a6500 sensor but none of them, are being sold to other companies. Maybe by 2019 they will sell current gen. sensors but anything newer/better/upgraded will have to wait longer than 5 years to come at Pentax

Edit: As far as i am aware Samsung isn't outsourcing its aps-c sensors and production had been halted for a while
But we haven't seen any big new announcements since Canon 5D IV. Nikon d820 should be announced soon and rumors are saying it should have a high res sensor, most likely Sony. No one else makes ff bodies anyway, we'd have to wait for big announcements to see who buys what from Sony.
03-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The burning question is..
Does Pentax needs a better sensor or a better processor?
The current Fujistu Prime 4 is a 32 bit asic?
If Pentax is lacking on the AF and video aspects, it not a sensor problem..
03-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The burning question is..
If Pentax is lacking on the AF and video aspects, it not a sensor problem..
I think they'd have to switch sensors if they want 4k video. As far as I know, the 36mp sony sensor isn't designed for 4k.
03-21-2017, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Possible next sensor for Pentax?
I see the question as not where the tech is going but where the market is going.
In that case cameras are going to get smaller, lighter, faster and more intuitive to use with, on the average, smaller sensors.
At least one can always hope.
03-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fujitsu spun off their LSI manufacturing to SocioNext in 2015. The latest version of their Milbeaut (which the PRIME is based on) was released in 2015 and introduced 4K video, but Pentax has not adopted it yet (which is why no Pentax DSLR can do 4K video - Pentax buys the video capabilities built into the processor). Even then, SocioNext lags behind Canon/Sony/Panasonic in video capabilities.
03-21-2017, 02:19 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax needs much better hardware or separate hardware for AF, DSP, SD card writing per each.