Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 61 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2017, 07:02 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Right... Given the OP's question and the context of it, then, are there any photographers you like that you think would be worthy of his review?
Too many but since you are asking I will give him some names of famous dutch fotographers he may not know.

Ed van der Elsken (mainly street), Anton Corbijn (rock/celeb), Erwin Olaf (contrived portraiture).

03-22-2017, 07:32 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ansel Adams was the first for me that really caught my eye, learning at my father's knee. I played around at photography for a number of years but never took it very seriously. I'll probably catch some flak for this, but the guy that made me start really wanting to get serious was Peter Lik. I'd never heard of him but happened to wander into one of his galleries during a Hawaii vacation and really loved his work. At the time he was still selling copies of "Ghost" and had one in the gallery for $5k. I wanted to buy it but my wife wouldn't have it. A few years ago I visited his gallery in Houston and found out a copy had just sold for $500k. FInally, a weapon to turn back the tide when the wife gets on a rant. I owe him for that.
03-22-2017, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nan Goldin - I enjoy her work because of its un-contrived simplicity, its found nature. Some of her images are personal and confronting, but honest. I'd say she has mastered the art of vernacular photography.
03-22-2017, 08:09 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Tim Page

03-22-2017, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I hope other people are taking the time to look up other people's favourites - I'm finding it a real education and discovering some photographers who I'd never heard of who I really like - well worth it
03-22-2017, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I hope other people are taking the time to look up other people's favourites - I'm finding it a real education and discovering some photographers who I'd never heard of who I really like - well worth it
Agreed. It's fascinating!
03-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Favorite photographers

eaglem for flowers

03-22-2017, 09:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll get back to this thread after work, need time to soak in the awesome images)
03-22-2017, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

My overall favourite is Richard Avedon, - Nothing Personal

Other books on my shelf Edward Weston - Supreme Instants
Sherman Hines - Extraordinary Light
Courtney Milne - Spirit of the Land
Robert Maplethorpe- Robert Maplethorpe

I doubt any of those were purchased in the last 15 years. The others are nothing special in terms of inspiration.
At risk of violating the thread terms of reference...
Freeman Paterson - the Art of Seeing is a book everyone should have read at some point if they care an iota about photography and what's possible. My copy is tape covered and barely hanging together having been borrowed by dozens of students.

Last edited by normhead; 03-22-2017 at 11:01 AM.
03-22-2017, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

What I'm looking for is the photographers whose books have most inspired you, helped you create your style and taught you most (by looking at their work, NOT teaching books).
[...]
Who are your favourites?
Well, this is a great but difficult question. Sometimes it seems like some people here on the forum have favorite lens designers, but not photographers!

I admire the work of such famous photographers as Sebastiao Salgado, Yousuf Karsh and Lewis Hine. I also love the current portrait work of Lee Jeffries and think some of Pierre Gonnord's portraits reach into the sublime - especially his series on Spanish miners. But I don't (yet) shoot (human) portraiture, so their influence on my style is at best indirect. One day...

If you ask me about my own style so far, then I have to answer at a slightly "lower" level. In my nature macro work, I am most inspired by the work of Thomas Shahan, Eddie The Bugman and Don Komarechka, with honorable mentions to Peter Grob, Nicky Bay and maybe 3-4 others which would make the link count of this post perhaps a bit too high...

Last edited by Doundounba; 03-23-2017 at 04:38 AM. Reason: horrible typo
03-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sergysergy
To be honest I do not know any names (shame)
03-22-2017, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
At risk of violating the thread terms of reference...
Freeman Paterson - the Art of Seeing is a book everyone should have read at some point if they care an iota about photography and what's possible. My copy is tape covered and barely having together having been borrowed by dozens of students.
I just picked up a used / very good 1993 edition for £2.39 inc shipping on eBay. No reason not to, given your recommendation
03-22-2017, 10:11 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the landscape photographers, Ansel Adams, Elliot Porter and David Muench were early influences. I remember buying Muench's Nature's America in the Denver airport over 30 years ago and have been hooked on landscape photography ever since. Other photographers in this genre that have influenced me and whose books sit on my shelves: Tom Till, Jack Dykinga, Pat OHara, Willard Clay, Carr Clifton. Another huge influence, especially for his printing -- Christopher Burkett -- take a look at Intimations of Paradise.
03-22-2017, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Michael Kenna

For additional inspiration check out LensWork magazine by Brooks Jenson. I have been inspired by the photographers he publishes in LensWork.
T

Last edited by thix2112; 03-22-2017 at 11:17 AM.
03-22-2017, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Last night I watched the Dorothea Lange documentary.
Hundreds of photos, and apart from the excellence of her compositions,
the exposure and focus was beautiful.
And she did that with rangefinder cameras, although there were some photos of her in 1930's with a big slr.