Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Nan Goldin - I enjoy her work because of its un-contrived simplicity, its found nature. Some of her images are personal and confronting, but honest. I'd say she has mastered the art of vernacular photography.
just been looking - very impressive

03-22-2017, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just cast an eye toward Obie Oberholzer - amazing!

For my part, Galen Rowell. Mountain Light is an excellent book.
03-22-2017, 02:07 PM - 4 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My overall favourite is Richard Avedon, - Nothing Personal

Other books on my shelf Edward Weston - Supreme Instants
Sherman Hines - Extraordinary Light
Courtney Milne - Spirit of the Land
Robert Maplethorpe- Robert Maplethorpe

I doubt any of those were purchased in the last 15 years. The others are nothing special in terms of inspiration.
At risk of violating the thread terms of reference...
Freeman Paterson - the Art of Seeing is a book everyone should have read at some point if they care an iota about photography and what's possible. My copy is tape covered and barely hanging together having been borrowed by dozens of students.
Just bought a copy of the Art of Seeing .

I lack the formal training, and experience. After stumbling in on this thread, I now have homework.
03-22-2017, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WileyB Quote
Just cast an eye toward Obie Oberholzer - amazing!
tell him so ;D

Obie Oberholzer | Facebook

btw - he uses a Canon now, but back in the film days he used a Pentax 67

03-22-2017, 02:30 PM - 4 Likes   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Armenian-Canadian Yousuf Karsh, the master of light, shadow and decisive moment of portraiture.

“Within every man and woman a secret is hidden, and as a photographer it is my task to reveal it if I can. The revelation, if it comes at all, will come in a small fraction of a second with an unconscious gesture, a gleam of the eye, a brief lifting of the mask that all humans wear to conceal their innermost selves from the world.”

–Yousuf Karsh

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 03-22-2017 at 02:40 PM.
03-22-2017, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd say Abelardo Morell, and there are a few books, for his seeing of ordinary things in new and magical ways.
03-22-2017, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

George Hurrell for B/W Hollywood glamour portraits.
Eric Meola for Kodachrome color.
William Wegman for pictures of his dressed-up dogs. (Particularly Man's Best Friend.)

03-22-2017, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
sergysergy
To be honest I do not know any names (shame)
So don't waste the opportunity to investigate the names people have mentioned in this thread, Serge!

I really like lots of contemporary photographers as diverse as Martin Schoeller, Bernhard Edmaier, Holly Andres, Timothy Hogan and Tim Flach. I'll throw in a couple of Australians - Peter Lik and Trent Parke.

And I love the past photographers already mentioned, as well as heaps including Diane Arbus, Brassai, Bill Brandt and to me, the most delightful of them all, Elliot Erwitt. Better throw in an Australian, too, I guess - Max Dupain, or maybe Helmut Newton.
03-22-2017, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
So don't waste the opportunity to investigate the names people have mentioned in this thread, Serge!
Will do! Hopefully I will learn something and get inspired
03-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
just been looking - very impressive
Check out Larry Clark's stuff if you like Goldin.
03-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #41
Veteran Member

One photographer that inspires me with always outstanding images of birds is @Ducatigaz;
Gary Chalker | Flickr
03-22-2017, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
Armenian-Canadian Yousuf Karsh, the master of light, shadow and decisive moment of portraiture.

“Within every man and woman a secret is hidden, and as a photographer it is my task to reveal it if I can. The revelation, if it comes at all, will come in a small fraction of a second with an unconscious gesture, a gleam of the eye, a brief lifting of the mask that all humans wear to conceal their innermost selves from the world.”

–Yousuf Karsh

Profile of Photographer Yousuf Karsh - YouTube
I used to have a book by Karsh, also one of my favourites... I'm pretty much sure someone has stolen it. That gives it a place in history just on it's own. Taking photography in the 60s you knew about Karsh. But could anyone today do what he did? 8x10 film, a half hour session, maybe 4 exposures. He'd be considered unprofessional. "D

Last edited by normhead; 03-22-2017 at 06:40 PM.
03-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I used to have a book by Karsch, also one of my favourites... I'm pretty much sure someone has stolen it. That gives it a place in history just on it's own. Taking photography in the 60s you knew about Karsh. But could anyone today do what he did?
I love Karsh's the Kennedys, his Churchill, et al, but honestly, low key celebrity portraits are done by modern photographers too, Norm!

Mark Seliger, Joel Grimes, Mario Testino, Dan Winters, Annie Liebovitz ... there are heaps, and they're good.

Last edited by clackers; 03-22-2017 at 06:25 PM.
03-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I love Karsh's the Kennedys, his Churchill, et al, but honestly, low key celebrity portraits are done by modern photographers too, Norm!

Mark Seliger, Joel Grimes, Mario Testino, Dan Winters, Annie Liebovitz ... there are heaps, and they're good.
Oh, is this going to be a debate? I thought the question was who is your favourite photographer? Not what's wrong with someone else's choices. Karsh is one of mine, those other guys and Annie? Not so much.

They might be good... they aren't Karsh. And they don't really have the ability to compete with him. At this point he's a historical figure, his legacy is secure. No one will ever surpass him at what he did, because no one these days does what he did. Everyone shooting today uses different equipment, more in keeping with 35mmfilm technology than 8x10 film.

You look at the work of Avedon, Ansel Adams and the first thing I think it, "These guys didn't have photoshop." Yet look what they pulled off.

Last edited by normhead; 03-23-2017 at 01:37 AM.
03-22-2017, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, is this going to be a debate? I thought the question was who is your favourite photographer? Not what's wrong with someone else's choices. .
Now, don't try to say everyone else but you is inflammatory, Norm, we know you all too well ... you didn't just answer the OP's question, you threw in: "But could anyone today do what he did?".

They might be good... they aren't Karsh. And they don't really have the ability to compete from him.
Look, I flew the nationalist flag myself earlier, but fact is, even back in Karsh's day there were plenty of other great celebrity photographers like Philippe Halsman, Arnold Newman, Richard Avedon and Irving Penn. Good luck arguing which one would be the Number One draft pick.

And then there are *today's* photographers.

Low key Shaq, by Gregory Heisler:

Super thin DoF by Martin Schoeller:

Intimate by Mario Testino:

B&W by Mark Seliger:

Let alone all the high-tech strobes, digital sensors, modern lenses and post-processing that David La Chappelle brings to bear:

Last edited by clackers; 03-22-2017 at 08:55 PM.