Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2017, 08:56 AM   #1

Tips on shooting in humidity and rain?

Wise friends!

I'll be going to Kentucky in April to watch (and photograph because why not?) the Rolex Kentucky 3-day Event (equine event). I've been twice before and both times, the cross-country day (where you can literally photograph up-close and personally with the competitors) has been wet, rainy, and humid. I did alright my first year because I was under the wing (and using the equipment of) two professional photographers, but last time I went my poor lens and camera got hopelessly wet and fogged. I live in Colorado, so rain and humidity aren't things I deal with....even if your lens does get wet, if you take it inside for 5 minutes it's dry again.

I've upgraded since then to the K-3, so hopefully the camera itself is safe from the rain, but what do I do with my lenses? I don't have the funds for weather-sealed lenses. The "poor man's solution" I came up with was cutting a hole in a plastic bag and taping it around the lens hood, with the rest of the bag covering the lens/camera. Are there better (and not bank-breaking) solutions out there? The plastic bag trick only works with my one lens because it has a straight hood, my other lens that I'll use has a flower-petal hood.

I figure if I go prepared this year, it won't rain at all!

03-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No experience with this; just looked interesting. Not cheap.

Learn How to Protect your DSLR with our Camera Cover
03-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just search Amazon for DSLR rain cover. There are multiple solutions ranging in price, some are fairly cheap. Read the comments, see which ones have good ratings. Imo most of them should be able to protect the camera from light to moderate rain.
03-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought these:

OP/TECH USA 18" Rainsleeve (Set of 2) 9001132 B&H Photo

They work well for me shooting in the rain. And they come in two different sizes, 18 inch and 8 inch. I bought the 18" because it covers my long lenses and my flash.

03-23-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Humidity shouldn't be a problem, otherwise there wouldn't be a working DSLR on the east coast. What lenes are you bringing that aren't weather sealed?

Have you considered renting a WR lens for the weekend? I've used LensRentals.com and was very pleased at both the price and the service when I rented a DA*60-250 from them for a trip in to Denali National Park.
03-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The camera is only WR if the lenses are WR.

Take a look here, maybe:
Rain Protection | B&H Photo Video
03-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Stay inside, shoot photos inside the bar
03-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The plastic bag trick is great and dirt cheap. If you want to advance, still on budget, put a small textile bag with rice inside the camera plastic bag too. It will absorb the moist in the air and prevents condensation inside the plastic bag/lens/camera.

Last edited by Simen1; 03-25-2017 at 04:29 PM.
03-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #9
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the lens is not zoom, or if it is and you don't zoom, I should think the plastic bag will be fine--so long as it is not a very heavy rain. But anyway carry a second lens protected, so you can change if need be. Also make sure the lens to camera area is not open/no gap (no takumar screw mount). A zone focused lens with said plastic bag covering much of the camera as well would be good.
03-24-2017, 04:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

For the humidity, keep your gear in the trunk of your car. If it inside of the car with you and you are running the A/C, the lens will fog up when it is exposed to the humidity due to the warmer air temp.

Tim
03-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Humidity shouldn't be a problem, otherwise there wouldn't be a working DSLR on the east coast. What lenes are you bringing that aren't weather sealed?

Have you considered renting a WR lens for the weekend? I've used LensRentals.com and was very pleased at both the price and the service when I rented a DA*60-250 from them for a trip in to Denali National Park.
I'll have an ooooooold FA 28-200mm lens, and a newer DA 55-300mm lens. Both Pentax lenses. It was the 28-200 that fogged up badly last time, if I remember correctly.

I hadn't thought about a lens rental! I'll definitely look into that, having even a little more zoom would be worth it for the weekend. Thanks!
03-25-2017, 01:39 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The best I can think of.

umbrella hat | eBay