Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2017, 03:47 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
last count, when I checked the properties tab of my photo directory it was at something like 190,000 files

This is film, scanned to digital, digital, shots saved from phones, scans of old family photos, and then there are the edited collections, since I always start projects by copying the base photos into a new directory before I start working on them

03-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by petrakka Quote
Get photo mechanic, learn how to use it.
You'll get your 900 photos down to 9 in no time.
I watched their promo, but I did not see anything particularly useful to me. Chimping is rather subjective :-)
03-28-2017, 12:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I must have easily taken over a million captures since 2001. When you consider just one of my cameras, the Olympus E-P3 has over 36,000 shutter actuation on it.

Digital wise I went thru :

Kodak DC3200 1.3MP
Canon Digital Elph S110 2.1MP
Canon Powershot G3 4MP
[There was a Powershot A series, and a compact S90 in there somewhere]
Canon Digital Rebel 300D 6.3MP
Pentax K10D 10MP
Olympus E-P3 12MP
Olympus TG-630
Olympus E-M5 16MP
Panasonic GH1 (for Video) 12MP
Pentax Q10 12MP
04-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote

Perhaps I should shoot more?

I don't think so. Looking to the folders containing the pictures I took during my trips, I see that most often than not, when I take less shots, they are of higher quality, or at least (proportionally) there are far more keepers. In particular, when I use my manual focus lenses (all -Ms) I take a lot less shots, but most of them are keepers. I suppose it's due to the fact that taking a picture is less automatic and I'm forced to actually think to the picture I'm taking.

At the end of the day, looks like taking more pictures does not equates to taking better pictures, for me, at least....

04-12-2017, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #20

Me, I don't know. But definitely lot like you people. I got less than 200 GB of photograph on my collection. So, obviously I'm far away behind you.

One thing I want to say, it's really a very interesting thread. The number can give us a hint about the photographer. And we are glad to know each other
04-13-2017, 03:28 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a bit slow on the shutter compared to some others. My hard drives contain a bit over 100,000 image files at the moment. A typical 10 day vacation may yield 4 to 5 thousand files (400 to 500 clicks a day), which, allowing travel time between photo-spots, is decent production. At home I can go ten days without picking up a camera, except to admire it and think about having more photo-ops. Inertia - we'd all be better off if scientists had never discovered it.

However- he adds as an afterthought - there are over 100,000 chromes (slides) and perhaps 50,000 negatives. Let me calculate - what would it cost to digitize all of those?

Last edited by WPRESTO; 04-13-2017 at 08:07 AM.
04-13-2017, 07:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
About 90k clicks on my two dslrs, 43k still alive in my Lightroom catalogue (I'm behind on the deleting). About 4k on a P&S compact before that and up to 700 on an old iphone in less than a year (it's become my 'always have' camera for reference photos, it has no cellphone plan).

I was making grounds on reducing the number of clicks with the dslr and aiming at quality over quantity plus less repetition of the same image. In the past year I've fallen into things like focus stacking, and far worse - stacking for nighttime exposures plus a few timelapses. So it's easy to add a few hundred clicks in a day to create one thing.

04-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
A typical 10 day vacation may yield 4 to 5 thousand files (400 to 500 clicks a day), which, allowing travel time between photo-spots, is decent production. At home I can go ten days without picking up a camera, except to admire it and think about having more photo-ops. Inertia - we'd all be better off if scientists had never discovered it.

Same figures for me - and I totally agree with you!
04-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #24
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I'm a bit slow on the shutter compared to some others. My hard drives contain a bit over 100,000 image files at the moment. A typical 10 day vacation may yield 4 to 5 thousand files (400 to 500 clicks a day), which, allowing travel time between photo-spots, is decent production. At home I can go ten days without picking up a camera, except to admire it and think about having more photo-ops. Inertia - we'd all be better off if scientists had never discovered it.

However- he adds as an afterthought - there are over 100,000 chromes (slides) and perhaps 50,000 negatives. Let me calculate - what would it cost to digitize all of those?
If that's being slow, I must be glacial A three week vacation including a week or more of safaris will typically land me less than 3,000 images, with usually 200 to 300 clicks on a really busy day. Less shots on vacations without any safaris, obviously. My absolute higest seems to be one particular day on our Madagascar trip with more than 400 shots in one day. Looks to be a one-off (and yielding no more good images than most other days).

LR says I have just shy of 50,000 images in my library, of which about 10,000 are my wife's.