Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2017, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This Sporting Life

My grandsons' hockey seasons are winding down, just one last tournament to go. My hockey season started back in August and I thought it'd be interesting to see how many games I'd photographed or videoed in the past eight months.

I have two grandsons who play, one in 'House League' (recreational), and one in 'AA' (competitive). As far as I can see I went to over 80 games this season. I ended up with videos (on Youtube) from 68 of them, and 400+ images (on Flickr) from the rest. I'm very popular with the players, and their parents

I also photograph the varsity games for the University of Waterloo. I shot 26 games for them this season, including football, soccer, rugby, field hockey, ice hockey, basketball, and volleyball. I've got 700+ images from those games on Flickr too!

Even after all that I still feel that I have lots to learn when it comes to shooting sports. I guess that's one of the great things about photography - its always a work in progress and there's always more to learn.

Rugby is probably the easiest sport I've covered. Its outdoors in good light with fairly predictable action. Contrast that with volleyball in a dimly lit gym, super fast action and all the players, and officials, in a small confined area. Volleyball is one sport where I'm not really happy with my images. I will just have to try harder once August rolls around again.

I know we have some excellent sports photographers in the forums - how have your seasons been, and what have you learnt ?

If you want to check out my efforts go to Flickr for the images or Youtube for the videos

Fred.

Last edited by fwwidall; 03-31-2017 at 04:23 AM. Reason: typo
03-31-2017, 09:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice captures Fred. What was the main camera and lens combo you used for ice hockey. Hockey is a good sport for our long winters in Canada.
03-31-2017, 10:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
Nice captures Fred. What was the main camera and lens combo you used for ice hockey. Hockey is a good sport for our long winters in Canada.
Thanks DDoram. Generally I use my K3, although I have been experimenting with using my K5 as a foot operated remote camera for when I'm videoing.

As for lens selection usually my DA* 50-135mm or DA 70mm. I have used everything from my DA 15mm to my DA* 300mm depending on my whim. I like to try and keep it fresh, and interesting. Depends on the arena as well. There are a few which have excellent lighting &/or no nets and that gives me more options. I really like the rendering of my DA* 200mm - there's just something about those images.

With the K5 I've been using an M 50mm F1.7 mostly. I'm prefocussing that so I can use my old glass. I'm still experimenting.

For the videos I use a Panasonic HC-X900M camcorder, mounted on a Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 monopod with fluid head, with a Feelworld FW759 7" HDMI monitor attached (makes following the puck a little easier).

Fred.