Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2017, 07:44 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I've never had many problems - often they'll look curious. Anyways they probably already know you are there before you start focusing.
See this video as well:
Amazing! Bird Sounds From The Lyre Bird - David Attenborough - BBC Wildlife - YouTube
I thought I was going hear the bird repeat of something like the equivalent of "Polly want a cracker" from David

amazing video

03-31-2017, 08:00 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know that with my 200D I have spooked some bison from around 10 yards using the F70-200, and these Llama's both turned when they heard my FA 100-300 from across the ditch in front of the fence.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
03-31-2017, 08:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
You have to be within the species' comfort zone undetected for the species to get spooked by a sound. That distance could be several yards in the case of larger species like deer, or less than 1 yard for species like Black-capped Chickadee.
I have seen Black Capped Chickadees refuse to land on person's hand to take seed, when the camera was less than 6 feet away. It was a rare occurrence, but it can happen.
03-31-2017, 08:13 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I have been shooting animals for some 20 years now. Mostly with screwdrive lenses.
Cannot recall a single incident of having the animal spooked.

03-31-2017, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Remember that Bird Feeders are the Natural Hunting grounds for every Kitty that ever lived. And its not the focus noise or your movements that causes Tweety to be nervous ; its your nose hairs that makes it look like the whiskers on Fluffy from next door preparing to do the death leap.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 12-20-2017 at 04:24 PM.
03-31-2017, 08:47 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Something (wolves, foxes , hawks, eagles, owls, fishers, are all suspects) ate our cat. Problem solved.

---------- Post added 03-31-17 at 11:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote
I know that with my 200D I have spooked some bison from around 10 yards using the F70-200, and these Llama's both turned when they heard my FA 100-300 from across the ditch in front of the fence.
With the 70-210 it was more likely the clunk it makes when it locks focus ( always causing near wrist sprains) than the actual sound of the screw drive.

Last edited by normhead; 03-31-2017 at 08:53 AM.
03-31-2017, 09:05 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Something (wolves, foxes , hawks, eagles, owls, fishers, are all suspects) ate our cat. Problem solved.
That's one way of looking at it...

We had a great horned owl terrorizing us last year, got all our turkeys, a few chickens, and the last of our ducks.
We saw it swoop by the cat as well.... but I never got a photo of it, since it always visited at night.

03-31-2017, 10:32 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I have found that screwdrive noise is much more likely to be noticed by other photographers than wildlife, birds in particular. A single bird, such as a hummingbird on a feeder may be spooked but when there are multiple birds they are more likely to be preoccupied with competition with each other for food and territory than to be cognizant of screwdrive noise. The noisiest lens I used for birds was the HD DA 55-300 which is replaced with my quietest lens, the PLM version. I get more keepers because the autofocus is so much faster, not as much because it is silent. It is possible that mammals, such as deer and squirrels may be more reactive to screwdrive noise.
03-31-2017, 10:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
One of my favourtie moments, one of the Mew lake Pine Martens was up in a tree doing Pine Marten business with about 5 lenses trained on him. The guy beside me made a clicking sound with something on his tripod leg. My screw drive didn't do the trick, (this was the F 70-210). Forget about being too noisy. Sometimes it's not noisy enough.
Possibly one of those little dog trainer clickers stuck on his tripod leg? That would be small and unobtrusive, not a bad idea. Most of the plastic leg locks on my tripod make a nice rodent like "squeeeeeek", I've gotten the attention of a few owls that way.
03-31-2017, 10:41 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I've never had many problems - often they'll look curious. Anyways they probably already know you are there before you start focusing.
See this video as well:
Amazing! Bird Sounds From The Lyre Bird - David Attenborough - BBC Wildlife - YouTube
I would love to hear when someone gets a recording of the Lyrebird giving its rendition of the classic screwdrive sound.
03-31-2017, 10:56 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've always found it curious that flash doesn't seem to have much effect on birds - and I'm often zapping them with a Better Beamer.

03-31-2017, 01:33 PM   #27
Pentaxian

If you are photographing wildlife that is startled by noises that seem odd to them, they do not know what you are getting ready to do, and will sometimes leave quickly just to make sure they are safe. Silent AF makes a definite difference, because wildlife that is going to be surprised by seeing you may look your way if they hear an unexpected type of sound. I have found that, for example, a bird that is fond of staying out of sight when around humans will seek a new location if they see you have a very obvious view of them. Sound just makes the photographer easier to spot.
04-09-2017, 09:34 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't tried shooting any wildlife yet, but the screwdriver noise definitely gets the dogs I've shot to do the head tilt. I want to test this at LSU with the squirrels and ducks that don't care about humans and do what they want no matter how close a human gets to them.