Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2017, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Haven't clicked the link but he sounds negative from the title. I don't really need more negativity being put on me.

Maybe this could be called "Nobody cares about your uninvited opinions".

04-03-2017, 05:45 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1 you care

2 perhaps your family and friends do too

3 even those on the internet

but if it is pleasing only to you why complain that is enough
04-03-2017, 06:01 AM   #18
Giveaway winner!

It is just my take on the subject...?
Isn't it from the point of view of who you are trying to connect with?
I.E...
A private free gallery opens for viewing. The audience is free to come in and roam and view...if it is crap or creative it is viewed. They walked in and had a look... they wanted to see your work so..."No one" would not be true.
You are selling your work and the standards are probably set very high before you walked through the door. They let you show your work or tell you to take a hike... half true?
If you measure by direct exchange either monetary or emotional... playing the odds...mostly true?
I notice that my Flickr account gets around 10 views randomly a month and about 1 fave every six months...I could not say "No one". I didn't expect much and so I measure it as a success.
04-03-2017, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Who Cares! A short Storey. In my previous blog the first picture lower right bottom is Ship wreck. Its not actually a ship wreck its the Steam Tug "Rossport" pulled up on shore that was going to be converted to Diesel and that is as far as the project got. Its a B&W Sepia toned and hand coloured with Kodak Hough & Puff die. I watched 2 elderly men standing in front of it occasionally whispering to each other. When I thought they had run up about $20 in watching fees I went over and asked them if I could help? One of them turned and said No sorry we worked on her when we were Kids : we're just looking and its sad to see her lying there. He had a tear rolling down his cheek so I said take your time and turned and left.
THEY CARED

For those that get out on the street and peddle notice that I had live Music which helps. My youngest is playing Air Guitar; a little Jimmy Hendrix I believe

04-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

He has several good points. I don't think he's negative, just realistic. If you want to be known or appreciated as a photographer, you will need to invest much more than couple of hours per week to take some photos.

Today, success is measured by how many followers you have on instagram, flickr or 500px and how many likes will your photo attract. Large percentage of these "instagram celebrities" use paid services and scripts that make the social voting system meaningless and are based on "I follow you, you follow me, I unfollow you", and "I like your photo, you like my photo" etc. Their photos are meaningless and I couldn't care less about them. They are mostly copycats, same long exposure for the 100th time.
I dropped out of that race and I take photos of the things that matter to me and of the things that I found beautiful. If someone likes them, great.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-03-2017 at 08:10 AM.
04-03-2017, 08:10 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I got through a minute of it... is that good?

Nobody cares about my photography, yet some folks pay to own my prints. So, not a point worthy of discussion.
Nobody cares about my photography until they see an image they want to hang on their wall, then they care.
The fact that they might not care now, doesn't mean they will never care.
The nobodies that don't care about my photography.. what am i supposed to do, stop producing for the people who do care, just because the vast majority don't care?
Like a comedian or car company or ice cream company or anything else, you work for the people who do care or who might in the future care. The one's who don't care are irrelevant.

Most people don't buy Ford cars, but they produce cars for the ones who do. Just like me. It doesn't matter if you are big or small, the vast majority don't care about what you do, you do what you do because you love doing it. And your success is determined by how you feel about that, not by who cares and who doesn't.
04-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The article seems to be aimed at 'artists' more than photographers and conjures up images of starving misunderstood photographers living in a garret and suffering for their art.

04-03-2017, 10:28 AM - 4 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think we all need to be realistic about what we do. Most of us aren't creating great art. We have a hobby that hopefully gives us and maybe our family and friends some satisfaction.

I do want to improve my skills over time, but if no one notices, I still enjoy going out early in the morning and trying to capture a little bit of the beauty around me. And that's enough, I think.

Last edited by Rondec; 04-03-2017 at 10:53 AM.
04-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think we all need to be realistic about what we do. Most of us aren't creating great art. We have a hobby that hopefully gives us and maybe our family and friends some satisfaction.

I do want to improve my skills over time, but if no one notices, I still enjoy going out early in the morning and trying to capture a little bit of the beauty around me. And that's enough, I think.
exactly, I find, if i enjoy what I'm doing, sooner for later i'll find some other people who like what I've done. But that's a different side of the operation. The main part, is go out and enjoy nature or your environment, and take a few pictures along the way. No matter how good your images are, they will never be what you were out there enjoying in the flesh. In a way, it's a shame folks settle for the pictures. That's why we guide, the real joy is in being there.

You can buy a picture of that waterfall, or I can take you there. From my perspective, the picture will mean more if you were there, and took it yourself.

Last edited by normhead; 04-03-2017 at 11:25 AM.
04-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I recall this same conversation from years ago over on DPR. I do see the saturation of photos on the internet and elsewhere, and it does degrade interest somewhat, but good work always brings interest.

I visit a little convenience store daily and have for many years. They have a deli and booths to eat at, so one day I printed a little over a dozen of my best shots 5x7 and just laid them out on a table and walked away. Almost everyone that came in walked by that table and almost every one of them stopped and viewed, some asking about certain shots and some lingering and carefully handling the photos.

That was near 10 years ago, but my bet would be that it would be the same today. People are interested, and part of that is in how they are presented. Roaming through Flickr is not the same as having prints right there in front of you, it is not specific, it is just thousands among billions. Given the right circumstances, people love to view, it is just human nature!

Regards!
04-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
exactly, I find, if i enjoy what I'm doing, sooner for later i'll find some other people who like what I've done. But that's a different side of the operation. The main part, is go out and enjoy nature or your environment, and take a few pictures along the way. No matter how good your images are, they will never be what you were out there enjoying in the flesh. In a way, it's a shame folks settle for the pictures. That's why we guide, the real joy is in being there.

You can buy a picture of that waterfall, or I can take you there. From my perspective, the picture will mean more if you were there, and took it yourself.
But often, it is a relatively generic photo that reminds them of something from their child hood or conjures a mood or feeling that experienced somewhere along the way. It isn't the same place or event, but it brings up the same mood in them.

Be that as it may, I don't sell photos, I just take them and enjoy the process, whether or not I show them to anyone else.
04-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #27

The channel is called the Art of Photography, and the audience are photographers that are interested in the artistic aspect of photography. I'm sure your family and friends care about your photographs, but I'm equally sure my mom loves everything I do anyways, she still thinks I'm the prettiest, most handsome boy out there! It's a good channel to watch if you're looking to objectively improve the quality of your photography in the realm of art. However, plenty of people here enjoy photography for different reasons and there's nothing wrong with that, and I'm sure Ted doesn't think there's anything wrong with that either. That's just not the point of his Youtube channel, so I think it's important to understand the context of "Nobody cares about your photography" and not think he's trying to knock down casual or family photographers. He's addressing a different crowd entirely.
04-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #28
Pentaxian

He is by no means saying "Nobody cares about your photography". That is a quote from a friend of his, which he immediately refutes as being false, and uses it as a stepping stone to his ultimate point. So if you are arguing with him about that, you are tilting at windmills. He's not trying to knock down anybody.
04-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But often, it is a relatively generic photo that reminds them of something from their child hood or conjures a mood or feeling that experienced somewhere along the way. It isn't the same place or event, but it brings up the same mood in them.

Be that as it may, I don't sell photos, I just take them and enjoy the process, whether or not I show them to anyone else.
My first pictures were sold to a guy and his wife who came over for dinner, and saw them on my wall. It took me a few minutes to comprehend what he was asking for. You just never know.
04-03-2017, 02:27 PM   #30
PDL
Pentaxian

No one cares for this jokers opinion or channel.

It seems these days, that the only way to "get attention"/likes/followers is to offend as many people as you can.