Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2017, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Nobody cares about your photography

I thought this was interesting.
Take a look at it. I have my opinion about it but will hold off till I hear from others.
It's only about 8 min long...

04-02-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Nobody cares about your photography
Nobody care much about food either, as long as it is easily available. Needs are of periodic nature, you need something when you don't have it, when you have it , you don't need anymore. Even breathing is not needed, until it's needed again.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-02-2017 at 09:25 PM.
04-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Who is he addressing, specifically? There are many types of photographer and not all are in it to be world-famous artists or to undertake massive projects... nice as those things might be. I think that some of the local working pros my wife and I have used for our wedding and maternity shoots do fantastic work and this advice really doesn't seem aimed at them, IMO. They don't really need to go to such lengths as he describes, but I'm certain they all strive for recognition and to push their own boundaries.

And what does he define as "cares" when he says no one really cares about your photos? Does he mean no one cares as much as they do about the work of famous artists such as Michelangelo? That's probably true. Most photos don't hold much significance in comparison to those giants. But one needs not go any further than this forum to see that clearly people care about sharing and looking at other peoples' work.
04-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #4
Forum Member

If I put photos up, people look at them and comment on them.

I have won prizes every time I have entered in a main local photography competition.

But you do have to put in the effort, such as posting your photos here (which I will get around to eventually).

04-02-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think he has a jaundiced view of photography. No one cares about your photography? Why should that matter to me or anyone else who takes photographs? We all take photographs for different reasons. For me (and a lot of others) much of it is about recording where I have been and what I have seen. In a very crowded world, it helps me to remember. And if I record things I have done with others, they are shared memories. But if nobody cares what I took a picture of, what is that to me? It is my image, for me. But then I also take photos to illustrate magazine articles and to record different animals or birds. But nobody cares that I took the picture - they only want the content: for example, the diagnostic features that identify a particular deer species. Some of my images have been seen by tens of thousands of people but I doubt that any of them know or care who took the image.

But then we also have Pentax Forums. On the Forums our photographs do matter (if only for an instant) - both for what they are and who we are. They are a focal point for social exchange where comment and content make for interesting reading. (Your Eastern Brown springs to mind.)
04-02-2017, 09:51 PM   #6
Closed Account

I think the word " care " is being used in the wrong context here. If I change it to " appreciate," then it has much more meaning as a concept for me. The imagery produced here daily is amazing, and makes me want to improve mine. Do I care about a macro fly photograph? No. Can I appreciate the skill involved in taking it, and the wonderful final image? You betcha.
04-02-2017, 10:00 PM - 5 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think if you are focusing on the "nobody cares about your photography" part, you are missing the full point. The video went from "nobody cares", to "art is extremely important" and then ended up at "you should always try to challenge yourself in your art".

04-02-2017, 10:57 PM - 7 Likes   #8

Who really cares if other people care though?

Photography is my version of self expression and I don't need anyone to gratify it's value other than myself.
04-02-2017, 11:30 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I get the point of his message, and it's well-presented. But... What matters differs hugely for enthusiasts and professionals, and for sub-divisions within those groups. His view-point is that of a professional photographer producing art for art's sake - and in that sense, I don't disagree with some of what he says. But it's a very narrow and one-sided view.

My own narrow and one-sided view is quite different... Photography is a hobby for me, pure and simple. My goal is to enjoy it. I have fun learning new techniques and I get pleasure from seeing the results. In the unlikely event that I should produce something of wider importance, that'll be a happy coincidence. But I really don't care if nobody cares about my photography. I'm not doing it for other people, I'm doing it for me.

And, for the record, other people's photography does matter to me. I get a lot of enjoyment from it.
04-02-2017, 11:34 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IggzDaLoc Quote
Who really cares if other people care though?

Photography is my version of self expression and I don't need anyone to gratify it's value other than myself.
I couldn't agree more.

That said, the "look at me" generation for whom selfies and Twitter are so important seem to need constant validation that they and their activities are of interest to others...
04-02-2017, 11:38 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I think if you are focusing on the "nobody cares about your photography" part, you are missing the full point. The video went from "nobody cares", to "art is extremely important" and then ended up at "you should always try to challenge yourself in your art".
Agree.

My take on the video;
I believe that your family and friends will always care about what you do including your photography works. So to say “No one, No one at all care about your photo” might be a bit too extreme, IMO

But to get a stranger to care about a photo from a no name guy like me, it is a difference story. I always think “Nobody care or should care about my photos”. It’s funny to see quite similar idea on the video. However I would never tell anyone, “Nobody cares about YOUR photos”. But I am for sure think that No one care or should care about “my” photos. If it is just a photo, why should they care? In fact, I didn’t really care if anyone will look at my photos but, in a way, it also means a lack of a motivation to take a "good" photo on my part.

The guy said; you should “create work that matter.” I pretty much agree with this.
As a no name guy with a camera, producing a useful / meaningful works seems to be one of the best ways to get stranger to care about my work. So right now I provide more information on shooting location, etc on my blog. Just try to make my photo mean more than just a photo. Before that, I know I like taking photo, but I didn’t have anything to push me to take more and take a better photo until one day I look at another people beautiful photo of Tokyo and wondered, where did he / she go for that killer view of Tokyo? I know the technic behind that photo; I can even make it better in post-process but WHERE to go for such photo! So I decided to spend a few hours during a weekend to find out the location myself and one thing leads to another. Now I go out for photo taking almost every week all year long. I am not only tell people where to go, but I offer infos on what building what floor, where in that floor and what to prepare, now I got a few followers on my IG and FB pages. From time to time I got thank you message, some ask for advice, some ask for places I haven’t yet been to in Tokyo, some ask for a meeting when they come here etc. I see my work little by little means something for people coming here. ]

And because I know some people come back and look at my photos, handful of that make comments and PM me, it makes me care a lot more, try a lot harder to get an image. And it is fun for me to take photo + I hope to make some bucks out of this hobby sometime in the future. It can be via banner advertising, contracting job (which I almost get a deal earlier this year but I have a full time job which made it hard to do, so they only keep my name as a possible contractor for now, and it’s already mean a lot to me.) etc., and who know what in the future.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 04-03-2017 at 02:23 AM.
04-03-2017, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

The message I took away was "You are not entitled to ego-stroking. You have to be judged on the quality of your work, and it must be exceptional if you want kudos."
04-03-2017, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Moving beyond art for arts sake...even us humble amateurs create images that matter. As photographers the raw materials we work with are light and time. Light is continually changing and moments pass never to return. Preserving those moments, especially those with family and friends helps them last longer than we will. Leaving a legacy for our children and grandchildren is something they will care about long after we return to dust.
04-03-2017, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

"Silly boy! Millions of squirrels come here to PF daily to view the wonderful pictures. Sure, mostly they are looking for NSFW naked girls, but they do enjoy lots of other fine work too! So if you think your posted shot didn't matter, think again, we are always watching!"

04-03-2017, 05:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

WRONG! Family, friends, expatriates of your local area, & visitors at the very least care a lot!
Back in the middle 80's my family & and I took part in the annual Street Fair in July in our Cities Downtown core. I did my own printing etc in those days. As a result I have pictures hanging in Singapore, Vancouver, Ottawa, Iowa, California etc .
And most important my 2 sons have a great memory of a grand time Hawking & Peddling in their early years. A coupla picks copied from prints tell it all.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 12-20-2017 at 04:24 PM.