Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2017, 05:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photo Sharing Site with Download Capability

I'm looking for recommendations for a photo sharing site that meets the following criteria:
  • Stores high resolution images (my expectation is something like 14 MB or less per shot)
  • Is free or relatively inexpensive
  • Allows viewers to download high resolution files with a password
  • Possibly tracks downloads so I know who downloaded and what they downloaded

I did a search here but didn't find the information I was looking for and many of the threads were years old.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

04-16-2017, 05:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Smugmug has those features. I paid about $60 for a year. It has a trial period.

Last edited by SpecialK; 04-16-2017 at 05:46 PM.
04-16-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

What's wrong with something like Google Photos. You can choose original quality as the default so your shots aren't compressed and it's either free or relatively inexpensive depending on how many images you want stored.
04-16-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Smugmug
Photoshelter
Zenfolio

All three are paid sites. Depending on the options and package: $50ish to $150ish annually.

04-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check these out and select one.
04-17-2017, 06:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Similar to what @gatorguy mentioned.
Google drive meet all criteria, it is more of a cloud storage than photo sharing.
First 15GB is free, you can share to public or specifically select email address/ user to share file. and they offer user activity tracking in the Activity panel.
04-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check these out and select one.
I looked at all of them and ultimately selected Zenfolio. But they are so close it was a difficult choice, I forget what feature I used as the deciding factor. Just write down what is important to you and go with the one that fills those needs best.

One nice feature about Zenfolio (that I do not use) is that you can take photos at events (ball games, dances, whatever) and post them to a gallery that is password protected. If you are shooting events for pay or for your group you can set up the gallery ahead of time and pass out cards at the event with the password. Parents can download the pictures they are interested in, either for a fee or for free at your choice. Or even buy prints if you set it up that way. I thought it would be cool if I ever got into shooting events. But I've never had the time..........

04-22-2017, 06:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I use smugmug. Bought a domain name for it. Easy to use, and has a nice app for uploading phone shots and autobackup. I always used picasa until google took it over and ruined it. Im all for google but google photos is a mess. Image links suppppeerr long now, some foruns cant handle them and ive been having a lot of broken link issues with old threads.

Smugmug is easy, permanent and unlimited original file sizes. Can also purchase prints off the site affordably
04-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've adopted Google Photos for now. I already had a Google account and the photos app appears very straightforward. I've uploaded high resolution files and I can simply send a link to those who are interested in the photos. The photos can be downloaded very easily in high res as well. I have 15 GB to use and that will last me a while. I didn't see an option to password protect the photos/album, but I'm not sure anyone could get to my photos without the link. So it's meeting my needs thus far at no cost at all, which is a plus.