Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2017, 06:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

A History of Photography -- George Eastman House

I picked up this meaty little tome at BMV (used Books, Music, Video) earlier this week down the the street from where I work for 9 bucks in mint condition, and today I had my first chance to flip through it...

First impression: photography of the mid -- late 1800s was the most modern art form of its day -- and it has barely progressed since (!) (when I have more time I'll cite particular images from the book here)

This is a book filled with such astounding (to me) revelations and, I would have to say, essential reading for any student of the medium (I say "reading", TBH I haven't read a word of the text yet).

04-22-2017, 07:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Eastman house is only an hour 1/2 from my house. I really should get back there someday. I haven't been there since I was a teenager...
04-22-2017, 07:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's the perfect illustration of what I'm talking about:

04-22-2017, 09:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Eastman house is only an hour 1/2 from my house. I really should get back there someday. I haven't been there since I was a teenager...
I went there a couple years ago and it was great. Excellent collection of cameras (including Pentax) and many photos to look at. Good gift shop with many photo related items.

Phil.

04-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I might be visiting Eastman House in May. Planning a camping trip to Letchworth State Park and looking for other things in the general vicinity. Still deciding whether to visit Rochester, Buffalo, or other cities in the region.
04-22-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I might be visiting Eastman House in May. Planning a camping trip to Letchworth State Park and looking for other things in the general vicinity. Still deciding whether to visit Rochester, Buffalo, or other cities in the region.
The Corning Museum of Glass is not that far away either. Both spots worth a day to explore. Not many spots where you can see glass formulas written in cuneiform on clay tablets.
04-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Here's the perfect illustration of what I'm talking about:
Please explain your position.

04-23-2017, 05:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Please explain your position.
Sitting ATM.