04-27-2017, 06:24 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I live in England.

What, exactly, is a hot dog, please ?
Hot dog - Wikipedia

reportedly created to allow those at a fair to eat a freshly cooked frankfurter with their hands by putting it into a soft split bun

legend on how the frankfurter met the bun is disputed

In 1987, the city of Frankfurt celebrated the 500th birthday of the hot dog in that city.
It's said that the frankfurter was developed there in 1487, five years before Christopher Columbus set sail for the new world. The people of Vienna (Wien), Austria, point to the term "wiener" to prove their claim as the birthplace of the hot dog. As it turns out, it is likely that the North American hot dog comes from a widespread common European sausage brought here by butchers of several nationalities. Also in doubt is who first served the dachshund sausage with a roll. One report says a German immigrant sold them, along with milk rolls and sauerkraut, from a push cart in New York City's Bowery during the 1860's. In 1871, Charles Feltman, a German baker opened up the first Coney Island hot dog stand selling 3,684 dachshund sausages in a milk roll during his first year in business.

The year 1893 was an important date in hot dog history.

In Chicago that year, the Colombian Exposition brought hordes of visitors who consumed large quantities of sausages sold by vendors. People liked this food that was easy to eat, convenient and inexpensive. Hot dog historian Bruce Kraig, Ph.D., retired professor emeritus at Roosevelt University, says the Germans always ate the dachshund sausages with bread. Since the sausage culture is German, it is likely that Germans introduced the practice of eating the dachshund sausages, which we today know as the hot dog, nestled in a bun.

Standard fare at baseball parks.

Also in 1893, sausages became the standard fare at baseball parks. This tradition is believed to have been started by a St. Louis bar owner, Chris Von de Ahe, a German immigrant who also owned the St. Louis Browns major league baseball team.

Inventing the hot dog bun.

Many hot dog historians chafe at the suggestion that today's hot dog on a bun was introduced during the St. Louis "Louisiana Purchase Exposition" in 1904 by Bavarian concessionaire, Anton Feuchtwanger. As the story goes, he loaned white gloves to his patrons to hold his piping hot sausages. Because most of the gloves were not returned, the supply began running low. He reportedly asked his brother-in-law, a baker, for help. The baker improvised long soft rolls that fit the meat - thus inventing the hot dog bun.

Kraig can’t quite swallow that tale and says everyone wants to claim the hot dog bun as their own invention, but the most likely scenario is the practice was handed down by German immigrants and gradually became widespread in American culture.

http://www.hot-dog.org/culture/hot-dog-history

never add ketchup

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-27-2017 at 06:30 AM.
04-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Oh, it's a sausageinnabun - thank you. Never knew it had a name before.

04-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, it's a sausageinnabun - thank you. Never knew it had a name before.
and at one time, I had no idea what a scotch egg or welsh rarebit, bangers and mash or Shepard's pie truly meant
04-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
and at one time, I had no idea what a scotch egg or welsh rarebit, bangers and mash or Shepard's pie truly meant
Beware the modern Scotch Egg - these days, they use a very inferior Scotch. Have you worked out Toad In The Hole yet ?
04-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Beware the modern Scotch Egg - these days, they use a very inferior Scotch. Have you worked out Toad In The Hole yet ?
unless you are talking about a blend, I have never met a single malt Scotch whisky I didn't like

met some I wouldn't order twice but survived the first encounter on all I have tired.

met some I would really like to try more but there is the dilemma - photography budget or single malt scotch whisky budget

04-30-2017, 06:16 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Hot dogs come in packages of 10 and hot dog buns come in packages of 8. Why?
What I've read suggests it ties to the traditions of the butcher and baker professions - butchers like to do things in pounds (in the US, at least), and bakers like to do things in even numbers or dozens. A package of ten "regular" hot dogs usually weighs 1lb. The one "how it's made" video I could find of hot dog buns being baked used pans of 12 at a time. I think they might use the same machinery for hot dog and hamburger buns - a package of eight (2x4) of each has about the same footprint. Switching hot dog buns to ten per package (2x5) would mess that up.

That said, I did a spot-check at the grocery store tonight, and over 90% of the various brands and types of hot dogs actually were in packages of eight, not ten. The few cases where it was ten, the package was an even pound.

Last edited by THoog; 04-30-2017 at 06:43 PM.