Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2017, 08:08 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hot Dogs and Buns

Sitting around the house in recovery causes some terrible things to rattle around in one's brain.

Today was bad, and I got to thinking about hot dogs, buns, sensor ratios, and photo print sizes.

How do they all fit together? Well, that is the point - they don't. Unless a good dog (with all the trimmings) sounds like a tasty treat after a morning behind the viewfinder.

Here's what is bothering me. Hot dogs come in packages of 10 and hot dog buns come in packages of 8. Why?

Likewise with our DSLRs. The aspect ratio of a DSLR image is 2:3. But when you go to print your beautiful photos, you run into totally different ratios. Sure you can get a 4" x 6" print, but you probably want something a bit bigger; something you can frame. The most common print is the an 8" x 10", which has a 4:5 aspect ratio. Or you can get an 11" x 14" (5:7 ratio) or go large with a 16" x 20" print ( the good old 4:5 ratio).

You want posters? Sure, but the popular size is typically 18" x 24" (3:4) with the super-sized poster at 24" x 36" (hey - this one fits! It is a 2:3 ratio).

So what's the deal? Haven't photographers learned from the mistakes of weiner industry? Should we be starting a movement for ratio agreement? Perhaps a photographers' march with lots of knitted lens caps.

Well, a mind is a terrible thing to waste, and I fear mine is going a-wasting.

Last edited by AggieDad; 04-23-2017 at 08:14 PM.
04-23-2017, 11:14 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Most of my prints use 8.5 "x 11" paper and my actual print size is typically 7-8" x 10.74" and I mat onto 11x14 board. As in these (my) cases, many photo's have an ideal crop--that has little to do with sensor size (or paper size). Often the stated advantage of 6 cm x 6 cm negative size was you could crop to 4:3, 3:2, etc.

When I started printing all of my photos I wondered why paper does not come in 8 inch x12 inch size (you used to be able to get commercially prints this size), but after printing some I found it convenient to buy larger paper and cut it into smaller sizes as needed. You often can mat it to a size than fits standard frames (e.g., my 11"x14")--but if not then it simply means a custom frame.
04-24-2017, 02:00 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the OP asked - "Hot dogs come in packages of 10 and hot dog buns come in packages of 8. Why?"

"Monk With No Name: Why do hot dogs come in packages of ten, but hot dog buns only come in packages of just eight?

Kar: What the hell is that?"

Bulletproof Monk (2003)

Bulletproof Monk (2003) - IMDb

while you are recovering, ( get well soon ), you might want to view this film, it might answer you question as to why hot dogs and their buns come in that ratio.

or not
04-24-2017, 02:55 AM - 2 Likes   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
a mind is a terrible thing to waste

And if you are thinking about hotdogs and buns, a waist is a terrible thing to mind!

Hope the recovery goes well.

04-24-2017, 03:13 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
And if you are thinking about hotdogs and buns, a waist is a terrible thing to mind!

remember

NO KETCHUP on the hot dog, (but this authority does allow unknowing children to err)

Hot Dog Etiquette
From the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council

Everyday Guidance for Eating America's Sacred Food

Hot Dog Etiquette | NHDSC
04-24-2017, 04:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
When I started printing all of my photos I wondered why paper does not come in 8 inch x12 inch size (you used to be able to get commercially prints this size), but after printing some I found it convenient to buy larger paper and cut it into smaller sizes as needed.
I do find it a little confusing that pre-cut 8x12" is all but non-existent. It, and 12x18, are still standard output sizes for the labs near me. As you say, it is convenient and probably desirable to cut down larger sizes - a 13x19" sheet makes pair of 8x12" prints with a handy 1/2" border. These I mat to 12x16, which is a pretty common frame size.
04-24-2017, 06:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Here they both come in packages of 12...
Come to Canada...

04-24-2017, 06:58 AM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

Likewise with our DSLRs. The aspect ratio of a DSLR image is 2:3. But when you go to print your beautiful photos, you run into totally different ratios. Sure you can get a 4" x 6" print, but you probably want something a bit bigger; something you can frame. The most common print is the an 8" x 10", which has a 4:5 aspect ratio. Or you can get an 11" x 14" (5:7 ratio) or go large with a 16" x 20" print ( the good old 4:5 ratio).

You want posters? Sure, but the popular size is typically 18" x 24" (3:4) with the super-sized poster at 24" x 36" (hey - this one fits! It is a 2:3 ratio).

So what's the deal? Haven't photographers learned from the mistakes of weiner industry? Should we be starting a movement for ratio agreement? Perhaps a photographers' march with lots of knitted lens caps.

One solution would be in having overlay guides in the viewfinder for different ratios... would make framing easier.

That doesn't deal with the hot dog dilemma though.. I think that's down to money and one (hot dog seller or hot dog bun seller) wanting to make an extra purchase. The solution is to buy 5 packs of hot dog buns and 4 packs of hot dogs, invite the block over for a bbq (or just freeze the extras).
04-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I haven't encountered any issues with printing sizes; I usually print my own, but also the local places can print the full-frame size I need.

The bigger issue is finding pre-made frames; 2x3 ratio ones with pre-cut mats are much less common than others.
04-24-2017, 09:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
remember

NO KETCHUP on the hot dog, (but this authority does allow unknowing children to err)

Hot Dog Etiquette
From the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council

Everyday Guidance for Eating America's Sacred Food

Hot Dog Etiquette | NHDSC
I think that was a quote from Clint Eastwood in his final 'Dirty Harry' movie, Sudden Impact (1983) "Nobody, but nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog!" I had a friend in college who for the rest of his life never again put ketchup on a hot dog after seeing that movie.

As for packaging, I've noticed in recent years that many manufacturers have addressed the problem by reducing the number of hot dogs in a package down to eight as an alternative to raising the price, although the unit price per hot dog goes up by 20 percent since you're getting less product for your money.
04-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote

I don't mind my waist, but my wife sure does!

---------- Post added 04-24-17 at 02:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Here they both come in packages of 12...
Come to Canada...
O Canada!

---------- Post added 04-24-17 at 02:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That doesn't deal with the hot dog dilemma though.. I think that's down to money and one (hot dog seller or hot dog bun seller) wanting to make an extra purchase. The solution is to buy 5 packs of hot dog buns and 4 packs of hot dogs, invite the block over for a bbq . . .
BBQs are good. But now I have to smoke a brisket too (I do live in Texas).

---------- Post added 04-24-17 at 02:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
As for packaging, I've noticed in recent years that many manufacturers have addressed the problem by reducing the number of hot dogs in a package down to eight as an alternative to raising the price, although the unit price per hot dog goes up by 20 percent since you're getting less product for your money.
Ha! Like the half-gallon of ice-cream container which is no longer (except for Blue Bell - listeria be damned, that stuff is tasty!).

Last edited by AggieDad; 04-24-2017 at 03:09 PM.
04-24-2017, 06:04 PM   #12
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps a photographers' march with lots of knitted lens caps.
Will they be red? And who will knit them? But I do like the idea.
04-24-2017, 07:16 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You're supposed to cut up the 2 extra hot dogs and put them in the baked beans
04-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Evidence of the longstanding feud between the big hot dog vs bun cartels?

Chris
04-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Evidence of the longstanding feud between the big hot dog vs bun cartels?
Feud? They're in cahoots!