Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2017, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Landscape Painting Tips for Photographers

I recently found two blogs about landscape painting that have a lot of applicability to the artistic side of landscape photography:

Lori McNee

Stapleton Kearns

These two blogs kept me occupied for a full week while I was laid up after getting out of the hospital, so there's a lot of stuff there-- design, color theory, art history, and detailed discussions of what makes good paintings good and bad paintings bad. It'll take me a while to absorb everything I read, but I've already started to apply their knowledge to my photography, and it's made a world of difference in my work. I highly recommend them!

04-25-2017, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Here's a third painting blog (mentioned in the link to Stapleton Kearn's site) that has a lot to offer the photographer: James Gurney's Gurney Journey. Gurney is best known for his Dinotopia series of books but has also done illustrations for National Geographic, Scientific American and many other publications. Whatever visual medium you are working in, chances are you'll get something out of what he has to say and show.

Last edited by Thagomizer; 04-25-2017 at 09:05 AM. Reason: grammar fix