Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2017, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Nikon Nikkor lens is made cheaper than Pentax/Zeiss/Sigma/Samyang/Rokinon lenses!

As many of you know, I love to tinker with lenses. Over the last few years I've taken a wide variety of lenses apart.

Tonight I was adapting a $1349 Nikkor lens to fit on my K1 camera.

When sanding down the aperture ring I noticed that it was made of flimsy plastic! I had to be extra careful when handling it so not to accidentally break it.

I believe that most (if not all) of the aperture rings I've seen in the past on Zeiss, Pentax, Sigma, Samyang, and Rokinon lenses were all made of metal.

Not only that, but this lenses' auto-focus motor had broken last September, a common failure with this particular lens.

If other expensive modern Nikon Nikkor lenses are made like this, well, I'm sure glad that I switched over to Pentax a couple of years ago and sold most of my Nikkor lenses.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-02-2017 at 10:59 PM.
05-02-2017, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was talking to a camera repair shop owner while he was looking at my DA*50-135, and he agreed that the first ever SDM motor arrangements were often not up to driving the big glass in it and the 16-50. He'd had to fix a few. He also said they weren't the only ones that had to be replaced more than they should. He said one word ... "Nikon".
05-02-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your lens seems to be Af-D lens, given the fact that it has an aperture ring. Notice that those lenses are proved to be made much better then newest models AF-S which are plasticky, mount apart. Otherwise no reports of AFS failures. This is a continous argument of discussion in Nikonland. My experience with AfS lenses is good , BTW. Gold-ring ones are assumed to be made of higher quality but there's no proof of real WR, while Canon L series are all WR.
05-02-2017, 11:26 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
5/7 clickbait title there...

05-02-2017, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #5

The aperture rings on my Minolta lenses from the early 80s are plastic as are the rings on my Pentax SMC-A 50mm f/1.7 and f/1.4. The aperture ring on my Kiron (Kino) 80-200mm f/4 for Minolta mount is plastic. The aperture linkage tab broke off during a photo shoot in the field once and I had to resort to the "sunny 16 rule" for my exposures. Kino was known for making very sturdy lenses at the time,

There was discussion a few years ago on one Yahoo group on how often the plastic mount on Nikon kit lenses break soon after the warranty expires on them. This makes me leery of the plastic mounts on Pentax kit lenses but other than being dropped there seems to be very few posts here on failures of the kit lens mounts.
05-02-2017, 11:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I disagree. It's an appropriate title. Maybe it's your English?
05-03-2017, 03:15 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Yup, and it's incorrect too. It's not a new lens. The E PF version is.

Also, in terms of build quality, my Nikon 16-85 has inner lens barrels made out of metal. My Pentax 17-70 is all plastic. I would take the Nikon's build quality over the Pentax's any day when it comes to these two lenses.

Having said that, from what I've seen on lensrentals, Canon L lenses are better still in terms of build quality.

05-03-2017, 03:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Yup, and it's incorrect too. It's not a new lens. The E PF version is.

Also, in terms of build quality, my Nikon 16-85 has inner lens barrels made out of metal. My Pentax 17-70 is all plastic. I would take the Nikon's build quality over the Pentax's any day when it comes to these two lenses.

Having said that, from what I've seen on lensrentals, Canon L lenses are better still in terms of build quality.
What is the cost of the Nikon 16-85? The Pentax 17-70 (I know, I have one) is not a particularly expensive lens. Actually it is a consumer, not pro, or even advanced amateur lens like the Pentax 16-85. This may not be an apples to apples comparison.
05-03-2017, 03:59 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
What is the cost of the Nikon 16-85? The Pentax 17-70 (I know, I have one) is not a particularly expensive lens. Actually it is a consumer, not pro, or even advanced amateur lens like the Pentax 16-85. This may not be an apples to apples comparison.
I bought the Pentax new for around 500 euros. It's still available for that price, as is the Nikon.

Edit: I did a quick search and somehow the Nikon turned up for slightly under 500 euros. But the only shop where it had that price is cheaper with a lot of things, so not really indicative and maybe there's some grey import things going on there. It is 700 euros in other shops, so it is somewhat more expensive after all.

I bought it used though, together with a D7100 and 35/1.8 for 900 euros. So I do tend to think it's pretty good value at least on the used market.

Also, a fixed f/4 lens in my mind is already more "pro" than an f/3.5-5.6 lens. So I don't know how you got the notion that the Pentax (or Nikon) 16-85 is more pro/advanced amateur (whatever that means) than the 17-70.

Last edited by starbase218; 05-03-2017 at 04:12 AM.
05-03-2017, 04:34 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Form what I've seen opening lenses up, the build quality among the OEMs is all pretty similar and tends to get better as price goes up. Of the remaining SLR makers, I'd say that the typical build quality of Canon lenses is the worst of the bunch. The very expensive L lenses are of course quite a bit better, but the non-L lenses tend to be very bad.
Interesting. I read they were quite impressed with the 70-300 non-L lens: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/01/opening-up-the-new-canon-70-300mm-f4-5-6-is-ii/

Looking at the big third party suppliers, another step down is Sigma, whose build quality is well below any of the OEMs (no surprise - they put all the money into the optics and skimp on mechanicals/build/licensing to keep costs down). Tamron and Tokina both are much better than Sigma. Samyang/Laowa/Mitakon, etc. can't really be compared directly to the AF brands, since it's a very different engineering proposition making an MF lens than it is a modern AF one.
I've heard Sigma is not so good on build quality before, even using belts for the AF drive. I'm curious if they improved things with the Art series of lenses though.

Also, incidentally, the 17-70mm is clad in plastic, but the inner helical barrels are indeed all aluminum.
What I do know is 1) the ring on the front of my lens started to come of a few years ago (I sent it in for repair), 2) when I twist the lens in my hand, I can feel and hear the inner parts shaking around quite a bit, and 3) it has zoom creep.

I'd love for Pentax to create a DA* 17-70/4 with DC motor, HD coatings, improved optics and excellent build quality. They can ask 800 euros for it. But I don't think they're going to do it because right now they have their hands full completing the fullframe lens line-up.

Last edited by starbase218; 05-03-2017 at 05:17 AM.
05-03-2017, 06:50 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The aperture rings on my Minolta lenses from the early 80s are plastic as are the rings on my Pentax SMC-A 50mm f/1.7 and f/1.4. The aperture ring on my Kiron (Kino) 80-200mm f/4 for Minolta mount is plastic. The aperture linkage tab broke off during a photo shoot in the field once and I had to resort to the "sunny 16 rule" for my exposures. Kino was known for making very sturdy lenses at the time,

There was discussion a few years ago on one Yahoo group on how often the plastic mount on Nikon kit lenses break soon after the warranty expires on them. This makes me leery of the plastic mounts on Pentax kit lenses but other than being dropped there seems to be very few posts here on failures of the kit lens mounts.
I don't mind plastic mounts so much because I've opened up some of my lenses and, for example, in the DA* series the mount screws thread into plastic on the other end anyway. Actually I've seen photos of a DA* 50-135 with that plastic rupturing around one screw and cracking around the others. Besides, the plastic mounts are usually applied to cheaper and lighter lenses anyway.
05-03-2017, 06:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I disagree. It's an appropriate title. Maybe it's your English?
See Starbase's comment below yours.
Also, there are plenty Sigma/Samyang (Rokinon is Samyang btw) and probably Canon lenses with worse build quality.
05-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #13
Inactive Account

#1 and 2 both sound simply like screws have become loosened from use. 2) might also implicate worn helical bushings as well.

Zoom creep is a design compromise. Basically, when designing an extending barrel, you can only pick at most two of the three following characteristics: 1) It can be heavily built, 2) it can move smoothly (i.e. with little friction/damping) 3) It can lack zoom creep. That's just the way gravity works.
With #1 I meant the plastic ring that is glued from the front, and denotes the lens name (e.g. "SMC Pentax-DA 17-70mm 1:4 AL [IF] SDM"). So it's probably purely cosmetic. But anyway it came loose and I think it was under warranty. So I sent it in anyway.

Wrt #2 and the possibility of screws coming loose over time, do you think this is something I can fix? For reference, I have opened up lenses before and at one point I actually exchanged the optics modules of 2 16-50 lenses.

Btw I don't think the first sample of the 17-70 I had suffered from zoom creep. Yup, I've had two. Long story.

(sorry if this is too far off-topic)
05-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Modular Design is a manufacturing process engineering* decision. What happens after a Modular Design product leaves the plant is a consumer (and warranty) issue; marketing and finance issues, or - from the standpoint of the manufacturing process engineer - "That's not my Department."

* See Roger Cicala on Sony mirrorless.
05-03-2017, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bm75 Quote
Your lens seems to be Af-D lens, given the fact that it has an aperture ring. Notice that those lenses are proved to be made much better then newest models AF-S which are plasticky, mount apart. Otherwise no reports of AFS failures. This is a continous argument of discussion in Nikonland. My experience with AfS lenses is good , BTW. Gold-ring ones are assumed to be made of higher quality but there's no proof of real WR, while Canon L series are all WR.
Hmmn. One of the local pros got into quite a fight with Canon after his 70-200 2.8 L got splashed with seawater while doing model shoot on the shoreline. The lens seized up and died. Canon told him he shouldn't have got it wet. He argued they claimed water resistance. They denied that. He argued back, and pointed how much he spent on their equipment over the years. They relented and replaced the lens.

However, having had the Canon L lenses apart, they definitely do not have the gasketing and sealing you see on Pentax WR lenses. They are made more dust proof than amateur grade lenses, but WR, they aren't. Any claims to WR are simply the marketing department getting ahead of themselves.