Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Where are the Pentax People?

First of all I switched from Canon owning three Canon DSLR's and seven lenses and now own a Pentax K3II with three lenses and a K-1 with the Pentax 24-70mm and this coming Friday will have a Pentax 15-30mm. Here is my question, where are the Pentax People? I know one person in all the photo groups I belong to and only one of those I know has a Pentax and it is a K3. I live in South Mississippi on the Gulf Coast not far from the New Orleans La area.

I had a news magazine interview me for an article about my photos of Bogalusa La where I work and do a lot of photo work for the city, community and their Big Facebook page that has over 8,000 members, and when he saw my Pentax, he said you use a Pentax???. Of course he was not informed about digital Pentax cameras and had know I idea about them, but just the expression on his face said it all.

Now I am not complaining because I don't want to use Canon, Nikon or the other brands, but where are the Pentax People? Is there parts of the world where there are many, because like I said out of the thousands of friend and acquaintances I have who do photography only one friend of mine owns a Pentax K3 and he has a Sigma lens on his. Just curious, that is the only reason I am writing this. How is Pentax world wide? Thanks in advance for giving a response.

05-06-2017, 09:16 AM   #2

Hi

I'm in Derby, United Kingdom. I find the same thing when I'm on shoots, only Pentaxian there.
I'm using a K3 with a collection of DA's at the moment, favorite lenses being my DA 50mm which I'm using for portrait work and my old FA 100 - 300mm zoom. I also have a DAL 18 - 55mm, which I find very useful but I'm looking at getting a 18 - 135 WR soon to replace it.

Cheers

Andrew
05-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #3

We live in Antwerp, Belgium.
Me and my girlfriend both are convinced Pentax users for some years now.
We have a K-3 and a K-1 with a DFA 24-70 f2.8, a tammy 70-200 f2.8, a DA* 55 f1.4, a FA 20-35 f4 and a bunch of lovely old M42 takumars.

We couldn't be more happy with our gear!
05-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are a few of us in Upstate NY, but it is tough not having a single store where you can buy a Pentax. I'm sure there is a higher percentage of Pentax users in NYC where you can go to multiple stores and buy a Pentax...

05-06-2017, 09:28 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got the impression that we're dotted around the globe, thinly spread at best. However, Pentax are still strong enough in Japan, which probably helps underpin Ricoh sufficiently. In southern England there are a few of us I've noticed from this forum, but we are a select and rare bunch around here ...
05-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I've got the impression that we're dotted around the globe, thinly spread at best. However, Pentax are still strong enough in Japan, which probably helps underpin Ricoh sufficiently. In southern England there are a few of us I've noticed from this forum, but we are a select and rare bunch around here ...
That's pretty much what I was about to say. Japan is the real strong-hold, and then a relatively thin spread around the rest of the globe

I get the feeling that Pentax is slowly becoming more popular again here in the UK, but still in the minority compared to Canikon...
05-06-2017, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, we are everywhere! - but as Barry said, we're rather thinly spread. I do see the odd Pentax shooter here in Norway, but as far as communities go this forum is the place to go.

05-06-2017, 09:53 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In St. Louis there is a surviving B&M chain store that has carried Pentax without interruption since 1971. Not only do we see Pentax cameras in the wild, when I go into one of the stores there's always at least one clerk who knows the gear.

I bought my K-1 day-of-release from store inventory - I didn't pre-order. They sold 30 in two weeks without any marketing at all.
05-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I often meet another one or two Pentaxians when I go out. But of course, it's a minority. However, that's incredible how many are scattered around the world, which in total may not be negligible. But a lot of Pentaxians use older models (K5 etc.) or entry level gear, and Pentax film. In Venice I've seen a guy photographing models with a Pentax 67 (the one with the wooden handle), wow, such a monster and worth owning one.
05-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see hundreds of photographers a year,

I've seen 3 other Pentax shooters....

Most recently this guy

Of the images here in this slideshow, he's the only one. And obviously a new convert coming from somewhere else to take advantage of the K-1. He told me of the two lenses he owned, the 15-30 and 150-450, both of which he pretty much raved about. The park actually had a guy lecturing about winter shooting in the park, and he had a K200D, and I saw guy with a K-3 and DA*300 up for the annual photographer's dinner. I have pictures of neither of those two.
05-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #11
Pentaxian

An hour and a half North of you there are a couple of us.
05-06-2017, 10:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have 4 Pentaxian friends here in Hungary and none of them is member of the big hungarian facebook group of pentaxians where we count 574 members. Of course I know more canikon owners. What I realy hate one of the biggest store (MediaMarket) does not sell any Pentax gear, altough there are many other big or smaller stores where you can get everything.
05-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
Here is my question, where are the Pentax People?
Here is the original and current thread :-) I don't know that I've seen 3 Pentax people, except at meet-ups.

Are we really THAT rare? - PentaxForums.com
05-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is so cool that Pentax won the iF design award for 2017 - PENTAX K-1 Recognized in German iF Design Award 2017 TOKYO, February 24, 2017-Ricoh today announced that PENTAX K-1, Full frame digital SLR camera has won award at this year’s prestigious iF Design Award 2017, hosted by iF International Forum Design GmbH.
Attached Images

05-06-2017, 10:51 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here I am: from the beaufitul city of Bergamo, Italy. One of the few....but forrtunately there's this place that keeps us togegher sharing experiences and opinions. Thanks Pforums!