Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photographer Spends Hours Preparing Secret Engagement Photoshoot, Ends Up Shooting th

Photographer Spends Hours Preparing Secret Engagement Photoshoot, Ends Up Shooting the Wrong Couple | Fstoppers

05-14-2017, 01:32 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I'm sure there must be many cases like this... but not many will admit to them.

I hasten to say... I've never done anything like that.
05-14-2017, 03:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm fairly sure we've had something like this before, but I can't remember where. Any guy who wants a photographer to capture that magic moment should bear in mind that there is a slim possibility his intended will refuse him. Also, to me there seems something supremely tacky about capturing a moment I have always thought should be private between the couple.

Sure, most engagements are probably talked around by the couple concerned before he puts the question, and in Western society these days it almost never comes as a true surprise... but this degree of staging sort of bothers me. It's like he's capturing his moment of triumph ("she's mine!"), and if I were a woman and I found out my fiance had done this, I'd fling the engagement ring in his face and give him his marching orders.

As suggested in the comments, and without knowing more, I suspect what really happened is that the client took his belle to that place at that time, found the other couple already there (with a level of sinking heart I cannot begin to imagine) and had to switch to plan B, but didn't dare pull out his cellphone to text/warn the photographer because it would've looked bad in front of his S.O./blown the secret.
05-14-2017, 05:42 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
quick thoughts

it brings to mind the poem by Scotland's favorite poet Robert Burns, a part of which states:

" , , , But Mousie, thou art no thy-lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
Gang aft agley, [often go astray ]
An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
For promis’d joy! . . . "

could the story be a pr stunt for the photographer????

05-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Article refers to 'sunset proposal'. Typo I guess, or the tog was really, really, early! 6 am?