Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well,

As mentioned above, A very nice lady took it using my MX-1.

I am a bit peeved as I updated my K1 firmware to 1.41 and it seems to have had an affect on the autofocus. I see that this has been mentioned earlier. On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I mostly used my k3 and I have posted a few shots on the K3 forum. On Saturday I brought out the K1 and stuck my D FA 150-450 on it. Always a good combination. Except after the upgrade in every shot, the focus is off a bit. Unfortunately this has been a bad year for the family and I never tested the K1 after loading the latest firmware. Shots taken when I manually focused the lens were fine. Shots made with my 28-105 seem fine. Live and learn. Still, it doesn't take the shine off of a great day.

The young man is my #2 son out of 4. He has been working his butt off for the last several years and needed a good vacation. He is donning his 15 x 70 binoculars. They came in very handy during the time we were there.

US old farts carried our own equipment as we are still somewhat useful. My only regret was there were no Canikon users where we took the shot. I was hoping to get one of them to use my MX-1 to photograph us.

We are still on the road and currently in Bismarck, ND tending to some of the previously mentioned sad family business.

It was great meeting Steve and Don. As we all already know, Pentaxians are rare and wonderful creatures. So if you guys want to do this again, let me know. I am only three days away by car.

On our first full day there I officially caused a big bear jam. We were driving from Mammoth to Norris Geyser basin when my son suddenly called out bear! There right out on the open was saw and her yearling cub working off a dead carcass. They were not 50 yards off the road in a wide open field and no one had seen them. When I stopped and brought out the big guns, quite a traffic jam occurred, So here in one of the shots that I have worked on. Shot with the K3 and D FA 150-450.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by gaweidert; 05-21-2017 at 08:38 PM.
05-21-2017, 08:55 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another shot. Old Faithful from an different vantage point, There is a 1/2 mile trail that climbs some 200 feet to a viewing area behind the geyer. My son and I started out. I got about 90% of the way up when a previously injured, and almost healed, left calf muscle decided that old farts should not be climbing trails at high altitudes. So I stopped a bit short and waited for the show. My son went all the way up and was very patient as he accompanied his gimpy old man back down the trail.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-24-2017, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
A few more shots from Yellowstone:

1, 2 &3) From the upper terrace of Mammoth Hot Springs.

4) Heckle and Jeckle. For those of us old enough to remember them.

5) Female yellow head blackbird.

6) Petrified redwood tree. Been standing in place for 50,000,000 years.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-23-2017, 05:47 AM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Three intrepid Pentaxians showed up in Yellowstone National Park the same place at the same time! Wtlwdwgn, dwalt and me, gaweidert, met up at the Mammoth Hot Springs Visitor's center and spent the day in the Lamar Valley photographing whatever happened to show up. This included bison, elk, badger, pronghorn antelope,coyote, osprey and a black bear with three cubs in tow. My son came along and sometimes wielded one of my Pentax DSLR's too.

wtlwdwgn and dwalt live in Montana and I live in New York.

So without further ado, from left to right:

wtlwdwgn, gaweidert, caweidert (son of ga) and dwalt.
well, not as earth shattering but in our recent trip to Yellowstone NP, we did run across two other Pentax uses [ but we didn't go around taking photos as a group ]

the young guy had a K 1 and off brand lens

the young lady had a KP - 50 and short pentax zoom (if my memory serves me correctly)

I invited both to check out the forums and join if they were interested

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-24-2017 at 05:23 AM.
06-24-2017, 04:59 AM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
hanging out with those old geezers?
I can't see me and you there...
06-24-2017, 05:56 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I can't see me and you there...
But you know we would have been if we could have.

Nothing makes me happier than a few fellow geezers to chat with on a wildlife stake out.
06-30-2017, 03:25 PM   #22
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Great story and set of photos guys, thanks for sharing them