Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2017, 09:45 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Like my K3II, but...

So I was looking for a longer lens for the last week or two, and ended up getting a Sigma 150-500 DG OS HSM(Local camera store used) and Nikon D7100 (Adorama used very good condition) for only about $50 more than the best price I could find for a Pentax mount Bigma(Ebay from Japan).

05-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats on the 150-500 and D7100. Nice rig. If you're going to shoot more than one mount, and you don't have brand-specific accessories you want to share between multiple bodies, it makes sense

EDIT: Another of our members, local to me, also picked up a D7100 in order to get access to a wider choice of longer lenses, but after a while he sold it as he couldn't get along with the control layout and menus compared to the K-3II. It's a personal thing, of course... In addition to Pentax, I shoot Sony, which has very different control and menu layout. I don't find it much of a problem to switch between the two...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-20-2017 at 10:48 PM.
05-21-2017, 04:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rock on more power to you! I am glad to see GAS is afflicting more people every day!
05-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I toyed with the idea of a cheap Canon/Nikon body. It would open up possibilities such as renting a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens for special occasions. Buying on fleabay and importing is a big hassle. Looking at the classifieds in my valley cured me of the idea. Local sellers have utterly unrealistic expectations regarding the worth of their old gear!

05-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent move. Although I only have Pentax, I would not hesitate to add another system if a deal like that came along. Shooting the warblers at Magee Marsh a week ago I saw literally hundreds of the Sigma and Tamron 150-600s. That's a pretty inexpensive super telephoto, if I ever decide I need to have that, well, you do what you need to.
05-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Sigma 150-500 DG OS HSM for Pentax mount, and have done successful birding/wildlife shooting with it. I have actually use it with the K20D, K-5, K-5IIs, and K-3II.
05-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Everything I use on my K-3 I use on my K-1. That would be a non-starter for me unless I decided to go all Nikon. I often have the K-1 and K-3 with me when I'm out an about.

By the time you've bought a D810 to stick it on instead of a K-1, you've cost yourself money.

If you're going Nikon APS-c, go Nikon APS-c for everything. There's really no advantage to Pentax and Nikons are better for wildlife an birding well, apart from in body stabilization and Pixel shift. I assume you got a 150-500 with IS or you're losing SR,
05-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Haminacan Quote
So I was looking for a longer lens for the last week or two, and ended up getting a Sigma 150-500 DG OS HSM(Local camera store used) and Nikon D7100 (Adorama used very good condition) for only about $50 more than the best price I could find for a Pentax mount Bigma(Ebay from Japan).
For me the temptation is always there, to sell off half of my Pentax kit and buy a Nikon body + 200-500 VR or one of the 150-600's. There's just nothing available in Pentaxland that is comparable from a value/capability perspective.

What holds me back, though, is it's just so much fun shootin' the critters with my legacy glass.

05-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #9

Original Poster
So, yesterday I called Adorama to check on my order because it said back ordered. How could the used camera body they were selling be back ordered. They said they don't have it, but for $100 more they have one... So after I said forget it, she said that I would get a discount on my next order. I said ,but not this order? I ended up paying $50 more for one that was instead of "very good" is now "excellent +". I will live with that I guess. Now today, the camera store that was only kind of local(110 miles away purchased via Ebay) called to say that the lens I bought from them, that then prompted me to buy a Nikon body is actually Canon mount. I think it's a sign that I should forget the whole thing.
05-31-2017, 06:04 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, this will let you carry two cameras. Bring your insect macro lens and your long range birding lens into the field! Get a nice harness, too.

You can't argue with costs...