Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2017, 01:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Question for flickr users.

Do you care about providing all personal info to the new flickr/yahoo owner Verizon, or you will leave flickr?

I'm thinking about killing my account before the Verison will just lock me out from my pictures because I don't like the idea, that Verizon can store private info anywhere outside US, and there is no way I will provide those bastards with all personal information just to use flickr as free uploader.

Now I have a question what to do. To kill my account, and save the back up home on external drives, I guess..

Your privacy: Verizon's takeover of Yahoo is all about user data - LA Times

05-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm an ex-customer of Verizon, so I can't think of anything they don't already have on me....
05-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Not worried, no plans to leave Flickr. Not using it much at the moment either, mind you
05-23-2017, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I believe you will find that Yahoo! has been using your user data for some time.

Steve

05-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I believe you will find that Yahoo! has been using your user data for some time.

Steve

NO!

Say it isn't So!
05-23-2017, 01:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Last week, my wife and I were talking about something in front of our "Smart TV".

It was a subject we had never previously discussed. Also, it was a subject that I had never thought about and had certainly never done an Internet search on.

The next day, I saw ads on many of the websites I visit on this very subject!

If you have a "Smart TV", they are already listening to you...
05-23-2017, 02:08 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not an issue for me - all of my photos on Flickr are downscaled for web viewing. I keep the originals on my hard drives.

05-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Like Paul,I regard Flickr as a convenience rather than essential.Best not to be beholden to anyone/thing outside your own control.
05-23-2017, 08:51 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Last week, my wife and I were talking about something in front of our "Smart TV".

It was a subject we had never previously discussed. Also, it was a subject that I had never thought about and had certainly never done an Internet search on.

The next day, I saw ads on many of the websites I visit on this very subject!

If you have a "Smart TV", they are already listening to you...
<Russian accent> In America, you watched TV. In former Soviet Union, TV watched you. Now, in America, TV watches you too! </accent>
05-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Flickr is the only reason I have a yahoo account and I'll be sticking with it. I really like flickr. As for verizon targeting ads to me online... um, adblock? Anyway all they're going to see is a weirdo buying 60 year old lenses.
05-23-2017, 09:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Yahoo sold our data. Yahoo had data breaches and hacks. I expect similar data selling and security lapses from Verizon and every other company. The only way to avoid data selling is to have no smartphone and no internet access.

If Verizon does something stupid, like demanding my social security number or claiming copyright over all photos, that's when I'll cancel.

I would consider paying for Flickr and other services if it meant no data sharing. However, even when you pay your data gets shared. Your ISP has a huge dossier of your internet activities.
05-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I understand the illusion of privacy online. However, Verizon wants to compete with FB requesting users provide with real names, and establish the mechanism of control your real personal information. And what can I get instead? Mail box for spam, and flickr uploader? Not too much.

" You also agree to:
(a) provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by the Yahoo Service's registration form (the "Registration Data") and (b) maintain and promptly update the Registration Data to keep it true, accurate, current and complete.
If you provide any information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or Yahoo has reasonable grounds to suspect that such information is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, Yahoo has the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of the Yahoo Services (or any portion thereof)"

" you consent to the collection and use (as set forth in the applicable privacy policy) of this information, including the transfer of this information to the United States and/or other countries for storage, processing and use by Yahoo and its affiliates"

Again, for what? I understand that yahoo, compromised already big time, just sells our accounts to verison, which, in own turn, wants all users voluntarily to complete its database with true and complete identity information, so they can sell it to whoever pays. Not giving anything instead. Not even improving security. Doing nothing, offering nothing.

---------- Post added 05-24-17 at 07:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I would consider paying for Flickr and other services if it meant no data sharing. However, even when you pay your data gets shared. Your ISP has a huge dossier of your internet activities.
Data sharing (aka data trade) generates more profit than establishing paid non-sharing service. That's how I understand that. If it would be an opposite, the business of non-sharing would be booming.

Last edited by micromacro; 05-24-2017 at 07:12 AM.
05-24-2017, 07:15 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

personal rule of thumb

If I am hooked up to the internet at all - I have been hacked, I may not know it but it has happened

If I don't want to be hacked, I would never ever ever hook up to the internet in any fashion

will someone do something with the hacked info - I hope that they do not but

since I have been hooked up to the internet since the days of AOL, and my records are stored electronically by any business I do business with on the internet - - -

I close my eyes, hide my head and hope for the best

any security system has been or will be broken

LIFE I guess
05-24-2017, 08:22 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Again, for what? I understand that yahoo, compromised already big time, just sells our accounts to verison, which, in own turn, wants all users voluntarily to complete its database with true and complete identity information, so they can sell it to whoever pays. Not giving anything instead. Not even improving security. Doing nothing, offering nothing.
I guess that's the price of your "free" terabyte of storage. Data collection is a huge deal - read "The Broken Window" by Jeffery Deaver sometime.
05-24-2017, 09:03 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the real data Flickr has on me is all in my photos. I'm also a Verizon customer so they already have a lot more on me from that.
I guess I'm not going to worry much unless they want my SSN or other more personal data. It's the times we live in.