Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by restlesssoul Quote
Kinda surprised no one has mentioned Wix. Maybe not as professional as those already listed (?) but plenty of templates and fairly intuitive. Plus can start with a free account (minor wix banner ad) until ready for own domain. Biggest drawback (for me) is that it is cloud based so need to be online to change content, and (I think still) no mobile app. But aside from annual domain & hosting fees it hasn't cost me $bigbucks. It's worth a look if you are willing to put a bit of time in - if not there are plenty wix site developers.
WIX... Hmmmmm...

I make money on my Word Press website through Google Ads and two Affilate programs (e.g. Amazon,etc.). It's sure nice to have money coming in month after month forever.

Does WIX let you embed Google ads and Affiliate programs on its' pages? If not, you've just lost a huge potential revenue source by going with WIX over Word Press.

Isn't your plan to make money on your website? Selling prints over the Internet rarely makes much money (I tried it twice and lost money). So, exactly how do you plan to make money off of your website?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 07-18-2017 at 06:24 PM.
07-19-2017, 07:20 AM   #17

My plan isn't to make money from the site (I was building one for local golf society, so decided to do one for myself). Others do, however. It's possible to embed http code so don't see why can't display ads and affiliate programs.
07-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by restlesssoul Quote
My plan isn't to make money from the site (I was building one for local golf society, so decided to do one for myself). Others do, however. It's possible to embed http code so don't see why can't display ads and affiliate programs.
Being able to make money on a website is critical to many people who operate a website.

Before I'd ever use WIX, I'd want to see a few examples of WIX websites that already have ads and affiliate links on them. Sure, it might be "possible" to do it, but some of these site hosting places have language in their contracts that says you can not add advertisements or affiliate links. I don't know much about WIX, but I do know that some of their competitors forbid the photographer from putting up their own ads and affiliate links, but the hosting company itself will insert their own ads on your website without your permission (so they can make money off of your site and traffic).
07-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #19

I get the message that you are happy with Word Press and I am not suggesting that you should use Wix - my original point being that if someone is prepared to invest a bit of time then it is perfectly feasible to get a website without costing a lot of $. I understand the need to make money, if it could be done with fewer unsolicited and mostly irrelevant ads so much the better. FYI, Wix has a free app called Google Adsense making it simple to link a google ad account/display paid ads and from my own experience they do not embed their own ads in paid sites.

01-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's my turn now to think about own website, and I know nothing about it. When I checked prices, I decided that I want the option website should pay for itself. Plus, I want to have selling tools as well, but I refuse to pay fees for every print, or download I may offer. Simply because I think it's not fair that companies who charge for their website building and maintaining services also apply fees for sales. Imagine than you buy a place at market, pay entrace fees and fees for renting the booth, but the market owners also charge you sale price fee of every tomato or whatever you sell there. Pay for domain, pay for hosting, pay for the service and support, and then pay the portion of your own product. Why?! Not mentioning PayPal fees.

Anyway, therefore smugmug (15% fees), zenfolio (7% on price tag AND shipping price), those are out of my plan. Is it any dedicated web hosting company for photographer which does not charge fees from sales at all?

My initial thought was to create own website for displaying pictures only, but selling option sounds much better to get return on invested money and time for the site.
01-03-2018, 11:28 PM   #21
Pentaxian

The company I'm working with has started building two websites for me. One for the work I do with the models, my still life images, and my landscapes. The other for the business clients which will be attached to their own website. All being done through square space. They're footing the bill and manpower so I can't complain.
01-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone use Redframe? From all companies they seem like no games company. Clear navigation, detailed explanation, no "terrific" sales. And yes, 0 sales fees. So far I think they may be the choice for me.