Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2017, 11:35 PM   #1

Website for my pictures ?

Hello. I'm thinking about making a website for myself. I want a website whit profesional galery where I can upload my photos. I want good service and support. Do you know where can do such a website for me? Thanks.

05-25-2017, 11:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Flickr - popular, but at the time I tried it, it could not sort images by name, if you can believe that.
Smugmug - various customizable features.
Photobucket - I was using this then they redid most of the site without warning and messed it up for months. I bailed. It is probably OK now.
Slickpic - I went to this after Photobucket. It is OK, does what I need, and maybe more.
05-26-2017, 12:46 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

If you are thinking about a standalone website - buy a domain and hosting plan at one of the many hosting companies (Digital Ocean, Media Temple, Namecheap. etc) take a look at the koken content management system, it is built for photographers, has Lightroom integration it is easy to use Koken - Creative website publishing I have my own site buit around it, I really like it (before I had several other solutions, but none of them were as good as Koken).
05-26-2017, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can build your own site with a number of management systems but to do so you need your own domain name, hosting and have some basic web program knowledge. Not hard, even I have done it.

If you do not want to do your own and want service and support then, Smugmug, Photoshelter or Zenfolio will all do a good job. I tried Smugmug and ended up with Zenfolio, both were fine but at the time Zenfolio had some features that Smugmug did not but of course the feature list changes constantly. Note that you should still have your own domain name and use that. To do so just get your domain name first, then you can have it pointed to whatever site you end up with, Zenfolio has the tools built in to do that, I assume the others do as well but did not try them.

Another option is Fine Art America. Cost is $30 per year and you can upload as much as you want. Not as flexible as some of the others but if you just need a simple place to upload pictures, and show them to clients it works just fine. You can sell from it if you want but I believe you do not need to. Only downside is if you sell you must use their printers.

Last edited by jatrax; 05-26-2017 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling
05-26-2017, 08:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
If you are thinking about a standalone website - buy a domain and hosting plan at one of the many hosting companies (Digital Ocean, Media Temple, Namecheap. etc) take a look at the koken content management system, it is built for photographers, has Lightroom integration it is easy to use Koken - Creative website publishing I have my own site buit around it, I really like it (before I had several other solutions, but none of them were as good as Koken).
I tried Koken last year amid high hopes. But the delay in how images were rendered was too slow and I abandoned it. Has it improved over the past year?

M
05-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would suggest looking at Squarespace
05-29-2017, 01:02 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I tried Koken last year amid high hopes. But the delay in how images were rendered was too slow and I abandoned it. Has it improved over the past year?

M
Miguel, The problem you've described can be caused by multiple factors, the major one being the configuration of the server where your site is hosted. I run Koken since approx two years and didn't noticed slow rendering. There were aproximative 4-5 upgrades in the last years, perhaps you should give it a second run.

Last edited by Caver; 05-29-2017 at 04:19 AM.
05-30-2017, 02:03 AM   #8

There are many companies that can do this for you. You just need to know what you want!
05-31-2017, 02:51 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote

M
I just implemented a web site with Koken Gallery and one thing I noticed that had a big effect on rendering speeds was which processing option you had selected in the setting portion of the admin page. I originally went with Image Magik and render time was intolerable. once I switched it to GD Bundled (2.1.0 compatible) renders were quick and I had no issues.

Check that setting and see if that's the problem.
05-31-2017, 02:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
I just implemented a web site with Koken Gallery and one thing I noticed that had a big effect on rendering speeds was which processing option you had selected in the setting portion of the admin page. I originally went with Image Magik and render time was intolerable. once I switched it to GD Bundled (2.1.0 compatible) renders were quick and I had no issues.

Check that setting and see if that's the problem.
Thanks for the update. I will followup with new testing.

M
05-31-2017, 03:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I only upload to my Flickr page my lesser images that I don't care if they get stolen.

On my own website, I can in about 1 second complete a search of the entire Internet for any of my images. This process enable me to in many instances identify crooks who were using my photos without permission. Unfortunately, this type of a search is impossible on any image posted to Flickr, thereby making it very difficult to search for the illegal usage of your images. This is a big deal, unless of course you just don't care if others steal your images.
06-15-2017, 06:47 AM   #12

Original Poster
But I want someone who can make me a website in wordpress. Not too expensive!
06-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parto Quote

I won't be cheap. Every larger community has computer/Internet consulting companies. You'll probably want to find one in your area. It will ititally cost a few thousand dollars, and then over $10,000 if you want to make major changes to the Word Press template.

Then once you've got a website, you'll need an SEO consultant to come in and fine tune it and your content in order to optimize it for the search engines. Without SEO, you'll likely never get much traffic.

I've done it 3 times now with different websites.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-17-2017 at 02:51 PM.
06-19-2017, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parto Quote
Parto, creating a website in wordpress is only the first step. Even if you have an agreement with the web designer for uploading the first batch of photos - later you will have to be able to manage them, to upload new photos and include them in specific (readily created or new) galleries, label them, etc.

So you rather have to be familiar using wordpress back-end, or have to learn because otherwise you stuck with a nice website which will be never updated with photos or you have chances to screw it up easily. I'm not saying its rocket science, but it takes some time to get familiar in managing such a site.

On the other hand the core Wordpress and the used template(s), plugins needs maintenance from time to time (at least once in two or three months) - usually this is not complicated, but it involves making each time a full backup of the site and the connected database before making modifications (updating, installing new versions, etc) - to have a backup in case that something goes wrong.

Anyway If you decide that you want to have a wordpress-based site, the first step should be to make a raw plan about what you really want.
- just a gallery to showcase your photos, uploading new ones from time to time?
- a photoblog (photos with stories)?
- a webshop (selling your photos)?
- a mixed content site (photo galleries plus articles / blog)?
- etc....

When you have the decision then you can have a price quotation on how much this will cost. You don't have to plan or know every little small nuance -- things can be changed during the site-built and whoever will do it will probably help/guide you -- but you have to know the main direction, otherwise you won't be satisfied with the final "product" and the costs will be high.

I have designed several wordpress sites (not necessarily just photographic-related) so I'm writing the above from my own experience.

I'll speak against my own business but In many cases paying for a complete service (there are lots of) is much more convenient (and sometimes even cheaper) than managing your own wordpress site. Of course, everything has pros and cons.

Last edited by Caver; 06-19-2017 at 02:02 AM. Reason: tipo
07-18-2017, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #15

Kinda surprised no one has mentioned Wix. Maybe not as professional as those already listed (?) but plenty of templates and fairly intuitive. Plus can start with a free account (minor wix banner ad) until ready for own domain. Biggest drawback (for me) is that it is cloud based so need to be online to change content, and (I think still) no mobile app. But aside from annual domain & hosting fees it hasn't cost me $bigbucks. It's worth a look if you are willing to put a bit of time in - if not there are plenty wix site developers.